Health Visitor

Gem13

Reaction score
I have just had a phone call from the new Health Visitor at my local doctor's surgery; she wants to meet me before the big arrival. Never heard of this or expected it, has anyone else met a H.V before giving birth?

I had one come round at 28 weeks, she just wrote down some notes and then said she'd then see me around a week after i've given birth.

Mee :D I've just litrally had mine now, she said its just to meet you and get to know each other and she gave me loads of info etc she ws here for about an hour and half lol. Luckily she was lovely. Its nothing to worry about just so you get to know each other because youll be busy once babys here :D xx

are they as scary as some people make out? checking your cooker to see how clean it is etc??

Lol noo mine wasn't anyway lol the only room she saw was the living room and kitchen and she wasnt inspecting it or anything haha xx

the woman who came to mine was nice aswell, she litrally walked in our front door, sat down on the sofa & didn't move until she left lol.. I'd heard some had inspected people's sinks and things but she didn't.

I saw mine last week. I was terified that she would be inspecting the house and our parental abilities and spent the whole weekend before cleaning the house from top to bottom...I really over did it. She came in, sat in the living room and that was it. She didn't even look at our kitchen - I was, in a way, a bit dissapointed as the oven was very shiney!

They like to visit you before the birth to discuss loadsa stuff with you (things like SIDS, whether you plan on breastfeeding etc). She will be your support after the baby is born (like your midwife is to you now) so it is important that you meet her beforehand. Mine gave me so many leaflets that I still havn't had the chance to read through them all.

My advice: don't worry - she is not there to evaluate you. Oh, and don't worry too much if you can't quite get that cobweb in the corner of the room. Lol

Im meeting my health visitor a week on tuesday and she told me on the phone that she just want to come and introduce her self and bring my little red book around and just generally have a chit chat xx

Mine came before aswell. Been twice since and as we are not 'at risk' 'too young' or 'addicts' she has discharged us to the care of the childrens centre,.... blinking useless and a waste of my time. Wont be bothering with them again in the future. x

Mine called round the other day (much to my husband bemusment!). I was at work and he was still in his PJs after a night shift. She had apparently written to us with an appointment (something we never received) but turns out that there was some sort of mix up as she said to hubby "Why's she at work, isn't she due soon" ! Hubby just went, "I hope not, we've been told 7th April!" I'd of loved to have been there! Spoke to HV later and I think that she'd got my file mixed up with someone elses (there must be a woman out there somewhere feeling a bit unsupported). And we've arranged to meet just as I start my ML. She said they try and meet mothers about a month before the EDD to explain who they are, what they offer and so on. I guess I'm much more likely to retain that info now than whilst juggling baby and hubby etc!

I've got my visit this Friday, the "nesting" instinct has started kicking in already though so will just polish and hoover for the 5th time this week before she arrives, ha. She sounded lovely over the phone :thumbup:

Yeah my sister told me they come out before now. Hers visited last week and was just going through any concerns my sister had and also gave her a DVD on breastfeeding.

I asked my midwife about it, and she said the HV was too busy at the moment. x

i saw mine a couple weeks ago, all she wanted was to introduce herself, get a little history about you and OH, and go through some info you might find useful like proventing SIDS etc. She also gave me a big book covering things from birth to age 5 and a little red book thingy to record LO's stuff in when she comes. Then said i'd see her again about 11 days after LO is born, that was it.... felt sorry for her really... whole time she was talking and writing my dogs were in her handbag or trying to curl up next to her and they tried to clean her ears lol but she was great really xx

Think its good they introduce themselves earlier... last thing you want as a new mum is someone you have never met coming into your home telling you this that and the other xx

lol if a HV even tried stepping into my kitchen to have a nose i'd show her the door. blooming cheek they are there to check on mum and baby, not to see if you've done the dishes from the night before! xx

I have just had to book mine today as I received a letter last week saying I would need an appointment. I have to go and visit her at the hospital where I see my midwife rather than them coming to me. At least I wont have to worry about having the house spotless! I do wonder what they cover though? x

Mine was here maybe 10 minutes. Asked for mine and DH name, date of birth occupation and for my phone number. Asked if I was having a hospital birth and gave me her number and said to phone once the baby is born. Waste of time IMO.

Ooh what a coincidence, got a letter in the post today to say she was coming on 7th March (10 days before due date) and I was just coming on here to have a search for posts to find out what she would want to see / ask.

I was worried she was coming to see if the house was fit for a baby :blush:, I also wonderd what the 'Red Book' was that her letter says she will be giving me?

^^ The red book is your baby's health record. I was given my son's at the hospital after he was born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->