Healthy hb but baby measuring behind?

Christi85

Reaction score
Hello ladies,
Worried again and I'd love to hear some positive experiences.

I had a scan today at what should have been 8w2d based on LMP. Baby measured 15mm, which my OB dated at 7w5d. He's using the Hadlock dating system, which tends to underestimate gestational age, but even after researching other dating systems online, I'm still measuring behind between 7w6d and 8w. So still 2-3 days behind. OB wasn't concerned at all by the discrepancy in dates and we actually had a very healthy heart beat, which he (and I) are very happy about. Unfortunately his equipment is pretty basic, so he can't actually measure the heart rate, but he could tell it was good just by looking at it, and even I could tell that it was flickering really fast, which I know is good :thumbup:

However, I'm still concerned about the LO measuring behind. Specifically: 1) because I'm fairly positive I actually ovulated a day early, which, if anything, should have put me a day ahead of LMP, and 2) at my last scan exactly 2 weeks ago, baby measured 6mm. I should have been 6w2d at that point per the LMP and was dated at 6w1d (again using the Hadlock system, so as a matter of fact, I might have been 1-2 days further along). Regardless, what gets to me the most is that I thought babies grow by approximately 1mm/day after week 6. So that means my baby only grew 9mm these past 2 weeks instead of ~14mm. That makes me worry.

I try not to be too concerned and to take my OB's word who says he sees lots of babies every single day, yet I don't like that baby measured even further behind this time vs. last time (4 days behind today vs. 1 day behind 2 weeks ago). My OB also tends to be quite nonchalant at times. Any positive stories about babies measuring a few days behind early on but catching up later in the 1st/2nd trimester, or resulting in a healthy, full term pregnancy regardless?

Hey Christi! Honestly don't worry, my jellybean was put back by five days at my last scan. It really upset me and made me worry something was wrong as I chart and temp so I know for sure when I o'd. I was worried my hypermesis was effecting baby's growth. But at yesterday's scan baby had caught up and measured a day ahead. I know it's worrying but my midwife assured me that as long as it's not over 12 days then it's really nothing to be concerned about.

Thank you so much Maryanne! :flower:
Always something to worry about, huh? :wacko: Really glad your baby has caught up now! What a relief!
12 days huh? I didn't realize the discrepancy could be this big and things still be ok. I keep reminding myself that each baby grows a little differently though.

JUST had this today too haha. I had my first ever US and according to my LMP I should be 8+4, even the OB agreed. But the baby measured at 6+6 with a very healthy HB of 126. My OB said babies don't typically vary much in size so early on. I'm a little bummed I'm not farther along, but so glad things look good so far. Here's to both of us having healthy babies in the end!

All the best littlejune! Let's hope both our little ones have really good growth spurts by the time we're scanned again.
A healthy heart beat is definitely a good sign and very important, so we can definitely rejoice over that! :flower:

Absolutely Christi! Maybe they're just taking their time, but at least they are healthy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"