• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Healthy snack ideas?

DivaMommy2Be

Reaction score
I've struggled with my appetite being pregnant but I'm starting to pick up now. At my 24 week app the midwife said Im small but the baby is measuring fine. I've not really put on weight excep for pregnancy but now I'm noticing I'm starting to put on weight.

Which is fine but I know it's cause I've started to get some unhealthy eating habits. I'm snacking on chocolate and fatty foods. Usually I love healthy food but not anymore. It would be better for both of us if I was a bit better with what I eat.

Anyone got any idea for healthy snacks with veg etc? Recipes or ideas. I'm fine with cooking big batches up before or anything. Or just ideas in what to buy?!?
I'm terrible right now for waking for a midnight snack lol. Anything is better tha a bacon sandwich at 1am! I really want my healthy eating back!

I didn't enjoy food much for most of this pregnancy, and healthy food is harder to eat than junky food, but with every meal and snack I just tried to make it as nutritious as possible. Here are some things I've been eating:

-carrots or other veggies with hummus or salad dressing
-apple slices with cheese or peanut butter
-salads with lots of goodies like cucumbers, olives, etc, and a tasty dressing (not too much though, and try to avoid the ones with corn syrup in them)
-sandwiches with whole grain bread and lots of veggies in them; sometimes modeled after Subway's Veggie and Cheese sandwich.
-Pita bread with falafel, hummus, or feta cheese, and lots of veggies added
-All kinds of fruit; melon, citrus, grapes, etc
-yogurt with cut up fruit
-fruit smoothies (my favorite lately has been orange juice, frozen strawberries, half a banana, and 5-8 kale leaves. super healhy, and enough fruit flavor that you don't taste the kale
-protein shakes with whole milk, lots of ice, a touch of vanilla, a banana (optional), sugar, and a scoop of unflavored whey protein. tastes just like a milkshake if you put enough vanilla and sugar in it. or maybe i jut haven't had a real milkshake in awhile...

Weight gain is pretty inevitable though. I'm nearly 38 weeks now and have gained 35 pounds. I feel ok with that because I was slim to begin with, I only eat because I'm truly hungry (feel weak and dizzy if I don't), and I've gained weight on fairly healthy, nutritious things.

I chop up lots of fruit and make fruit salads. It has more appeal when it is already all prepared in the fridge. :)

I totally agree and second what candyem said. For me, the best thing in increasing my healthy snacking is the pre-preparation. It sucks in the moment but the day you go grocery shopping and bring home the healthy stuff, do all the food prep. Food that is bad for you is usually convienient and that's why it gets you! I prechop my canteloupe, watermelon, pineapple and honeydew and for work for the week I get little snack size ziplock bags and fill them up with snowpeas, peeled and sliced carrots, celery ect OR you can cut them up and leave them in the fridge in an open container with water.
*Cue open fridge and cut up veggies sitting there looking at you*. It helps.

Also, eat a really healthy and big breakfast. I start the day off with a big bowl of raisin bran and that will take me to lunch with a small snack (one of the baggies of veggies).

Another thing I try to do is just not bring the crap stuff in to the house. Go shopping when you are full already and stay strong.

Hmm humous and carrot/cucumber/veggie sticks dipped in is always nice! For a snack :) erm, fruit....I enjoy having choc phylidelphia spread onto a digestive biscuit for a sweet quick treat & its a healthier alternative :)

I always have a variety of fruits in the fridge, as well as tomatoes, cucumbers and baby carrots. I also have spinach which I often toss into a bowl with cut up tomatoes, cukes and sometimes grated cheese with light italian dressing-don't make the salad too big though if you get heartburn!

I mostly just snack on mixed nuts or fresh fruit and yoghurt. Nothing exciting and nothing that needs a lot of prep! Sometimes ryvita and houmous or cheese or those yummy roasted seaweed snack packs. Though I have been finding that I don't actually need to snack much since I started eating more rounded meals with plenty of protein.

Totally agree with Jessesgurl eat a GOOD breakfast and it eliminates the desire to snack in the mornings! I've been having porridge with berries or honey and it really does the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"