hearing tests

daisii

Reaction score
hi, just wanted to reassure people. A lot of people have asked me about failed tests because I teach deaf children. And I thought I'd let you all know an interesting fact too, to remove worry for new mums!

Approximately one third of babies will fail the test first time in at least one ear! They will pass a few days later with no problem. This is usually because there is a bit of fluid or congestion in the babies ears. This is VERY common. Or as my LO failed in one ear because (i think!) I accidentally flooded that ear the night before during his bath!!! (bad mommy!!!!). he passed a week later no problems.

Just wanted to reassure new moms as I think it can be very stressful for people to wait that week for the retest. Why they don't test a week later to start with I don't know!!!!!

I really really really needed to read this.. Because I'm going through this "having to wait" issue right now.

Just curious...how long does this fluid/ congestion last for? My baby failed his first screenings and has since passed in his left ear but referred for his right. I have noticed some congestion for the last couple of weeks since he was born. Also, my child was born 2 weeks before he was full term. Any additional info you can pass on is greatly appreciated.

congestion could be there for 3 weeks or so, but if LO gets a cold etc it could be longer. The more detailed tests will look for fluid.

My Daughter failed her hearing test in both ears at the hospital.. twice actually. and 4 wks later which was last tuesday I took her to get the audiology place for another hearing test and she passed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->