Heart burn

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by maria26pc, Oct 28, 2008.

1. maria26pc

maria26pc Well-Known Member

My heartburn is killing me for the past couple of weeks. It seems I have it all the time and it gets worse the moment I lie down. Cant sleep at night at all. I go off to sleep and in 15 minutes I am up coughing and severe heartburn and feels everything I have eaten is about to come up. I have tried many things-like no oily or spicy food, small meals, no food after 8PM...nothing seems to work. Its terrible. My DH is also not able to sleep as I am awake forever...poor soul.
    Any suggestions ladies????

2. Brockie

Brockie Well-Known Member

Gaviscon liquid is the only thing that works for me, i have gone through bottles of the stuff, its vile but worth it! get it on a script from your doc and you get a massive bottle xxx

3. Emsi76

Emsi76 3rd Tri - Team Pink!

Does that mean that you are going to have a loads of hair bubs????

Gaviscon is the answer apparentely!

4. AC81

AC81 Proud mum of 2

Yep Gaviscon by the bed - I prefer the chewable tablets though! I find lately that I'm getting it even when I recline ever so slightly on the couch. I have to be so careful about eating late at night too, because that makes it unbearable! The worst thing is, chocolate really sets it off!!!

5. danni2609

danni2609 Guest

Im suffering from this too it actually mainly in my throat! I got the liquid from the docs too tastes awful but it soothes it!

6. XKatX

XKatX Well-Known Member

As the others have said - definately Gaviscon!! And make sure you eat early evening - that way your food is nicely digested before you lie down at night.
    You can get it free on prescription from your doctor.

7. redberry3

redberry3 Love My Little Peek <3

I am using Tums Smoothies....they are my saving grace!!!
    Hope it gets better...:hugs:

8. bibswy

bibswy MUMMY OF 2!

i'm drinking loads of milk - it still bubbles up but at least its cool and frothy!

9. nessajane

nessajane Well-Known Member

my MW told me that drinking an ice cold water helps heartburn!! its worth a go!!

10. Fossey

Fossey Mummy to Larissa

Gaviscon works really quickly. It is disgusting and the texture and look reminds me of a mans bodily function :spermy: but it does do the trick, just have a drink on stand by ready to take the taste away!!!

11. Bernie

Bernie Well-Known Member

Ive been prescribed peptac form the doctors which is the same stuff as Gaviscone.I get 500 ml bottles and going through it like no ones buisness.

12. xXDonnaXx

xXDonnaXx Well-Known Member

I get this occasionally. Have been taking Gaviscon tablets. They do help ease it hun. I would definately recommend it. :hugs:

13. elm

elm Mama

I've found not drinking around / during mealtimes helps most of the time but some days the acid just attacks. I'm trying not to have any drugs unless they're absolutely necessary and I've managed to put up with the acid so far.

I tried alkaline foods (found out milk is slightly acidic) like bananas but they didn't help much.

14. Bellylicious

Bellylicious Well-Known Member

This has happened to me once in my pregnancy and it was after I ate a heap of greasy fish and chips before bed. I will NEVER do that again. I was regergitating it up to my throat all night and it was burning soooo bad.

I ended up drinking milk and it helped. Then I lay in bed chewing chewing gum. It was the only thing I could think of at the time and it kind of worked.

15. LuluBee

LuluBee Mummy to Alex

I take Gaviscon, but it's not always enough to get rid of really bad heart burn. I also drink milk, avoid fruit juices and try to prop myself up in a bed a bit.

16. Gillian

Gillian Pregnant - 2nd Trimester

I'd avoid drinking cold water. I've been known to get the worst heartburn imaginable after drinking a bottle of plain old cold water! Would try the Gaviscon liquid hun, vile but effective. I keep a bottle in the fridge as it's not so yucky when it's cold. x