Heart Conditions in Pregnancy

Fallen Angel

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I was wondering whether any of you have a pre-existing heart condition going into your pregnancy.

I have recently (before becoming pregnant) been diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrilation and the medication I have been told to take by the cardiologist is what they call 'pill in the pocket' and it's flecainide.

Unfortunately, there are not many tests run on this drug in pregnant women, for obvious reasons.

So really, I am just trying to find out other women's experiences with heart medications and drugs in pregnancy.

Thanks,
F :) x

hi hun i have a heart condition called sinus tachycardia where my heart goes too quick an with palpations , when i was preg drs wouldnt allow me too take meds :( , my heart wasnt much worse tbh until i was 30+ wks which just made it tough somedays , and i was induced in the 38th week because of the condition . i was given an epidural straight away before my contractions started just incase my heart got worse during labour. hope u have a fab preg xxxx

Thanks for the response hon.

These two conditions are very similar.

When I have an episode my heartrate increases to around 180pm and I have severe palpitations and irregularities. It is usually treated with beta blockers and anti-coagulants, but obviously, because I'm now pregnancy, I can't take these.

These episodes can last from 10 minutes to 24 hours + and I've noticed in the last two weeks that I'm having more regular episodes.

My GP and the cardiologist have been a little flippant about taking the flecainide if and when I have a prolonged episode, I'm hoping the fs and OB may have a bit more experience of dealing with people with this condition in pregnancy.

Thanks for your response though x

no problem hun , i felt very alone during my pregnancy where my heart was concerend :( but it all worked out ok xx

Hi :)

Congrats on your pregnancy! My husband and I have recently put our baby plans on hold due to a diagnosis of paroxysmal atrial fibrilation. I am due to see the cardiologist this week to find out about treatment options. I was wondering if you were able to uncover any information that might be useful for me? My gp told me that there are options but because I want to try for a baby those options are limited. That's about all I know really. Has your pregnancy had any effect on you PAF? Hope all is well for you.

Regards,
Anna

Hi, I have had open heart surgery and with my daughter had been diagnosed with Primary Pulmonary Hypertention. After I delievered it went away. With my youngest I had Aterial Fib. beating up to 200 BPM. Which was so hard. I was in and out of the hospital. I did take beta blockers after about 26 weeks and all was fine. I am not sure how meds would effect things early in pregnancy. I just found out I am pregnant again. And I have already had several episodes of A. Fib.

Hi Ladies

I'm now 9w3d and I have had a fair amount of additional episodes of aFib in the last few weeks. My midwife has sent for an apt with the consultant at the hospital because of this.

Since last posting the results of my 7 day test came back confirming my paroxysmal a-fib and I've been prescribed flecainide on a pill-in-the pocket basis but as yet I haven't even collected the prescription.

I'm very wary given I'm so early on and when I was prescribed this the cardiologist didn't know I was pregnant. My GP was a little vague because like most drugs, trials in pregnancy are few and far between.

I'm holding out for my apt with the consultant who hopefully has a bit more experience dealing with women in pregnancy who have heart conditions as the research I've done has told me a lot of woman have a-fib for the first time during pregnancy.

For now though, I'm trying not to worry about it. My episodes although more frequent aren't lasting as long, if I get one that lasts a few hours or more again before I see the consultant I'll just go to A&E.

Congrats with you're pregnancy Sweetlissa and Awl4dauk I hope you get you're answers from your cardiologist. Please keep us posted if you don't mind x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->