Heart palpitations

happycupcake

‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’
Reaction score
Anyone have these more frequently during pregnancy?
I had them a lot with DD but later on I think, however this time I have been having them for a while and they're daily and horrible. Midwife wasn't concerned, but I'm asking about an echo referral anyway. I had to wear a holter monitor with DD and had an echo afterwards which showed they were harmless palpitations, so midwife doesn't think it's likely I would have developed some awful heart problem between then and current. They're so unpleasant though! Stress and anxiety really trigger them off. As does really sugary food. Apparently something as simple as the act of swallowing can trigger them off. Just wondered if there was anyone else in a similar boat, anyway

I didn't have them with my son but I did with my daughter. They started about 8 weeks. It was truly terrifying. They ended up being nothing and went away after I had her. I definitely think something so painful should be investigated. Good luck.

Yeah they're not painful just scary. I can't remember if I had any with DS1 but I don't recall any with DS2, but DD they were really frightening. But I'm sure they were later on. They don't seem worried but I always think these things should be checked out anyway

I get them sometimes - more often when I lie down. In my case, it's related to my thyroid; it's in a normal range, but the levels fluctuate like any other hormone. Thyroid controls metabolism, and heart rate is part of that.

Chances are the palpitations are benign, but if it really worries you, keep a journal of day/time, how long it lasts, and what you're doing when it happens, since the more info you have the easier it is to spot a pattern if there is one. :thumbup: And then do ask them to have a listen as it only takes a minute to hear if a valve isn't functioning right or if there's congestion. But even then, it's unlikely to be an emergency situation, so unless it's painful, you're probably okay. Hand onto that when it worries you.

It's hard to remember sometimes, I know! And I'm used to it, what with this being the fifth one. I especially hate that solid hard squeeze that kicks it off. That's always the worst, like, is it gonna relax again? Ech!

I had them terribly when pregnant with my son. Shortness of breath too. It improved in the second trimester and came back slightly in the third. It felt awful. No one was worried though.

Thanks both of you :)

Yeah they're bloody horrible. When they happen they take my breath away. They seem to be triggered mostly by stress and we have had a particularly stressful time recently. Or if I eat something really sugary, that triggers them off. I hear these are common triggers.

I did read earlier that more than 50% of women experience temporary arrhythmia or ectopic beats in pregnancy which aren't anything to worry about.
I found belly breathing helped today

Hey there! Read your post and had to share. I have PACs. Premature atrial contractions. SUPER SCARY! I also suffer from anxiety that quiet often sends me into a full blown panic attack often following a PAC episode. Anyways i started having them a long time ago i cant even remember the first time i noticed one but they were very infrequent. Like one every few months. This made them almost impossible to detect because i was never being monitored while one came along. And as you know they happen out of no where and are over just as quick as they came. I wore halter monitors and had tons of testing done and was assured no issues. I found it so hard to believe because i honestly felt like they didn't even believe me that they were happening because no one was there when they'd happen. I made many trips to the ER thinking i was having a heart attack for them to stop and the doctors to find nothing. It got to the point where my doctor suggested i start an anxiety medication to settle me down from the craziness. I am anti medication unless completely necessary so i was determined to figure a way out to calm myself and live with the flutters. All this time because the doctors never monitored one i was told they were palpitations. Then i got pregnant with my third child and the flutters became insane! From one random to episodes of 5 in a row daily! I got serious with my doctor right now and he ordered some more tests. We did an ultra sound of my heart which showed that everything was in good shape. That was comforting. Then he ordered a monitor that i wore for 30 that i would press a button during an episode and i could actually send this directly to professionals that would review it over the phone with me and insure that i was okay. This is when they discovered that they were PACs and as scary as they are, they are harmless and actually many people experience these and just do not have the sensations as i do. I have the full blown i just felt my heart jump out of my chest. ANYWAYS there is no fix, no do this and they'll stop. As my doctor says the heart itself is more of an art than a science. But here are some things that have helped me. STAY HYDRATED! Low levels of potassium and magnesium can cause these to be worse. I literally eat a banana and drink a gatorade every single day. I also luckily found an OBGYN that experiences PACs as well so hes very comforting when it comes to the pregnancy and helping me to keep the on track I AM OKAY. I have been informed that post pregnancy i can be perscribed a beta blocker which will calm the heart from having the contractions but that is not safe to use during pregnancy. I am hoping that post baby they will settle enough that i dont have to worry about that as they didnt get really bad until about week 12 of this pregnancy. I hope this info helps you. Please feel free to message me anytime, im so glad to see someone else having a relate-able situation. As my doctor would tell my SO, unless your experiencing these you cannot understand whats going on. He said once an episode would send me into a panic attack, not even a doctor could tell me i was okay. :shock: Best of Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->