Heartburn! HELP...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by Szaffi, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Szaffi

Szaffi Well-Known Member

Last night I was up all night in excruciating pain from heartburn (I had two slices of homemade pizza for dinner), which is unusually heavy for me, so I thought that was the reason.

But, I still cannot eat, I almost threw up my lunch - salmon with broccoli. The pain doesn't go away. I still get hungry though, but nothing looks good.

Any tips what foods could help? I tried plain yoghurt and milk this morning, but no improvement. :growlmad:

2. Bam

Bam 3rd Trimester - #1

Pepcid and TUMS are your best bet. The milk and yogurt is only good for immediate relief to last a few minutes until a medication can kick in. A slice of bread or a bit of cheese has been shown to act the same as milk and yogurt but, again, foods won't help for long term.

I've gotten into the habit of taking a Pepcid every day regardless of if I have heartburn or not. It's kept it well under control.

3. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

Only thing that works for me hun is Gaviscon advance and I have lived on it for 20 weeks! Thank god the MW did me a prescription :rofl:

4. GersPrincess

GersPrincess Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!

Fruit rennies are my life-saver! I cannot live without them. Peppermint tea and papaya are meant to help, but I cant say I've tried them

5. mazy

mazy Well-Known Member

Peppermint tea relives sometimes. I brought some Gaviscon cool mint tablets today and though they are not the nicest tasting they do work for me. I have been getting terrible pain with heartburn too. So good luck x

6. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

Bloody peppermint tea gives me heartburn lol! As did the ginger that was supposed to help with the ms in the early days. And keeping my head elevated at night only gives me a sore head which can inflame a migraine if its already on its way :grr: I feel your pain!

I find gaviscon disgusting but am managing to take the liquid and gaviscon advance but it only gives me relief for an hour if I'm awake, 2 / 2 and a half at very most if its in the night and I get back to sleep.

I've heard pineapple is supposed to be good - but I think this is more preventative as I have had a non-heartburn day when I've eaten it, but it really aggravated existing heartburn when I tried it - melon has been recommended to me as well and seems to work a little bit on existing heartburn.

Tums were fantastic but I can't find them anywhere at the moment :nope:
    and rennies have helped but I don't think you are supposed to use them in pregnancy :blush: (sometimes needs must though!!)

I'm currently trying to figure out if there is anything in my diet which makes it worse and so far I think tea and chocolate are my main culprits. No sex (or at least limited by size) no wine, no brie, no pate and now no chocolate - thank goodness it only lasts 9 months :dohh:

7. NuKe

NuKe mummy to 2 gorgeous girls

im living on gaviscon! it is fine to take, even says it on the bottle! dont take pepto though, i had ot almost at my mouth then realised it said on the bottle not to take it if ur pg.

8. Szaffi

Szaffi Well-Known Member

I finally asked the doctor who gave me some disgusting paint-like liquid to drink (it may be the same as gaviscon, sold under some different name here).

My diet has been mostly yoghurt, cottage cheese and plain bread, that has helped. Now I'm slowly reintroducing foods to see what works and what doesn't. Eating smaller portions more often and trying not to eat anything after 6 pm has helped too.

9. Lazy Leo

Lazy Leo Well-Known Member

I'm truly considering puting my gaviscon in a glass and just keeping it by the bedside :nope:

I hate the taste of gaviscon too (I use the alleged peppermint one as I don't like aniseed) so it may be the same, I guess we all like different things.

My gran suggested proper hard liquorice sticks from the healthstore but I don't like liquorice so it would probably just make me sick but might be ok for others.

10. mari72

mari72 Well-Known Member

Gaviscon-i had a bottle of it everywhere i went and swigged it straight out the bottle. It was my saviour

11. Maffie

Maffie Guest

I couldn't survive without my prescription for gaviscon advance (orginal flavour) Just had some now. I have found I get heartburn if I get too hungry as well as when I eat too much. I'd say eat little and often and also prop yourself up in bed and dont eat too close to the time tyou go to bed.

I've been drinking mint teas too which help a little.