Heartburn!! What can I take???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Hellymay83, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hellymay83

Hellymay83 Well-Known Member

I have the worst heartburn in the world!! I only had a chicken salad sandwich for lunch then this damn heartburn started and it's making me feel sick!

I'm at my wits end, I asked a guy at the chemist in Tesco if I could take anything but he said no! Please tell me he's lying, Im sure gaviscon would be ok :cry:

Anyone else have this?

2. grandbleu

grandbleu MAL with Little Blue

I just started getting Heart Burn yesterday...it's awful...never had it before in my life.

I took a Rennie (I hope that's OK!) I didn't check...I'm actually going to start eating smaller meals and it seems raw veg really makes it bad so I'll have to make sure I cook my veg.

3. Hellymay83

I'm not sure what you can take Hun but I hope I can take something, it's dreadful, I have my 25 week check up tomorrow so will ask and let you know xx

4. Mama627

Mama627 Mom & Preggo w/ #2

Maalox, Mylanta, Gaviscon, Tums, Zantac, and Pepcid are all OK! (I just copied that off my sale-medications list from my OB)

5. Hellymay83

Thanks mama627 I'm off to drink the contents of the gaviscon we have in the cupboard.

6. Teej

Teej Growing a mini me

I asked my midwife about this as I have had it bad and she said all you can really take is Gaviscon which is perfectly safe, if you go to your GP you can get a huge bottle on prescription which of course is free now :) x

7. gemylou

gemylou Well-Known Member

gaviscon is all ok to take but also try a glass of milk before or after eating, chewing some gum and staying upright a few hours so try not to eat before bedtime! Sorry I sound so bossy but I understand your pain I have had it with both pregnancies and its horrible!!

8. hellywelly

hellywelly Mummy to Harry

rennie is definitely safe - am taking about 4 tablets a day - as soon as i wake up and as soon as I go to bed xxx

9. JDG

JDG Pregnant Mum of 1 & Angel

I take Morrison's brand antacid tablets - they work a treat and taste yummy too! They are fruit flavoured and are fine to take during pregnancy.
    Jx

10. Perfect_pink

Perfect_pink Well-Known Member

iv had it really bad and got renitidene off the doctor they are the best things in the world not even the slightest bit of heartburn since i started taking them x

11. CharT

CharT Well-Known Member

I've been the same today and feel your pain! Gaviscon is ok and I've found cold milk works a treat :)

12. Mom2Ben

Mom2Ben Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

I had just popped a fruit flavoured Rennie's into my mouth as I read your post :) Says on the back that they're safe for pregnancy.

13. Hellymay83

It's awful isn't it, before I got pregnant I thought the whole heartburn thing was just an exaggeration but my gosh is bad!

14. sequeena

sequeena Winging it.

Gaviscon, rennies, heartburn tablets etc. all are fine to use :)

I usually have a cheap version of rennies but am currently using Morrisons heartburn tablets 6 for £1. I have horrendous heartburn when I'm in bed and it is a lifesaver!!

15. Jellyx

Jellyx Well-Known Member

I take Tums and Maalox when it gets really bad.

16. XPoisonGal

XPoisonGal Guest

I take Peppermint oil capsules (very safe during pregnancy, its not drug) which helps but last nite i woke up with bad heartburn cos i slept on just one pillow which not helped. Use 2 or 3 pillows do help to stop the food backing it up.

17. jacks mummy

jacks mummy Well-Known Member

god i HATE heartburn it was by far the worst part of my last pregnancy i sufferd for 20weeks!! this time i thought i was going to get away with it but :nope: it started last week :( and its bloody awful!! i cant take gaviscon as it makes me sick! but i am taking atleast 2 rennies a day (fruit flavourd ones) and they say safe in pregnancy on the back of the pack :D also milk does help for about 2mins then it comes bk again! xx

18. Hellymay83

Gaviscon worked for all of an hour then I had a bagel and it's back :(