Heating on at night???

suzib76

Reaction score
I have read lots of posts about this. Why do people do this?

I don't have mine on all night but I have it set so if the house drops below a certain temperature it will come on.

The reason is because it's cold.

I can't sleep when its cold though I turn the radiator down a bit in Maria's room at night.

Presumably cause its cold and not everyone has timers on their heating systems.

I occasionally do it in winter.

My son won't sleep with anything covering him so we have to make sure the house is warm lol

I was just curious as it's something I have never done, or been aware of anyone doing (when I have stays over etc)

I have never woken up in the night because I was cold though

because it's cold...? :shrug:

I was genuinely curious, I do know it's cold at night in winter, just wondered about the heating as it's not something I even knew people did until I read it on here

Hope I didn't come across as cheeky - I put the wee 'shrug' in cos I wasn't sure if I misunderstood the question! :haha:

Our house gets pretty cold at night in Winter, though it's ok for now. My LO often kicks off the blankets so I think we'll need to put the timer on for an occasional blast of heat when the really cold weather kicks in.

I'm pretty sure its more economical to keep the heating on all the time but on a lower setting then to have it come on and off anyway, at least thats what I've been told.

I just wondered if I should be having mine on really, not thinking people shouldn't

Logically I guess it makes sense, maybe it's my generation. When I was young lots of my friends only had a fire (coal or gas) in the living room. I was fortunate enough to grow up with central heating throughout but like the friends with just a fire our heating went on in the morning and off at night.

It's never affected the kids sleeping, although if I wake up for a wee in winter I don't like getting out of bed in the cold :haha:

I think thats one of the main reasons I like it warm at night - don't want to pee in the cold or deal with a wake up from Maria in the cold!

I'm pretty sure its more economical to keep the heating on all the time but on a lower setting then to have it come on and off anyway, at least thats what I've been told.

We gave this a try and I have to say our bill went up massivly, it seemed to help my daughter sleep though so last winter we did leave it on all the time. It was worth the money just for a few extra hours sleep lol

Cant really afford it this winter, and plus she doesn't sleep great whether shes warm or cold so not sure it would help now anyway :dohh:

We gave this a try and I have to say our bill went up massivly, it seemed to help my daughter sleep though so last winter we did leave it on all the time. It was worth the money just for a few extra hours sleep lol

Cant really afford it this winter, and plus she doesn't sleep great whether shes warm or cold so not sure it would help now anyway :dohh:

Guess it depends how low you set it, I dunno. My electric bill wasn't much higher last year in winter than in summer despite my heating being on all winter.

It's a pretty personal thing really. My daughter and i both throw out heat when we sleep and can't bear the heating on at night (my daughter is still sleeping under a lightweight blanket not a duvet and i still have my window open at night) but my husband would have it on at night if i let him (he just wears more clothes to bed!)

In the winter (were usually in bed for 11pm) our house is freezing so quickly! We have the heating on for an hour around 2am to watches up for awhile and I have the heating on 5-6pm right now so the house is nice and warm for us waking up at 7am xx

We have our heating come on in the night for an hour as we haven't got double glazing and it's freezing, megs room drops down to about ten in the night and I think that's too cold for her. We never did when I lived at my mom and dads as the house was generally a lot warmer.

We moved in this place in the middle of winter, the heating was broken and our living room (the warmest) was 10°C :shock:

So this is why we have the heating on. It gets cold really quickly. We do tend to turn it down at night though, and off in the living room.

Depends where you live. Where we live, right now its been about 70 degrees F during the day, and dropping to 30-40s degrees F at night. So its plenty warm during the day, but that's pretty cold at night. Also, my youngest is still too young to keep a blanket on at night, so need the heat on to keep him warm enough.

On e my heating goes on it stays on 24/7. At night we turn it down so its pretty low. Plus we also have the bedroom thermostats down low.
The reason it stays on overnight is because its more economical to keep your heating on all the time rather than turning it off at night and then putting it on again the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->