Heellpp! False positive??

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by KatieKat, Apr 14, 2009.

1. KatieKat

KatieKat Active Member

Hey Ladies
    Well im 2 days late as of today, was going to wait to test but couldnt help myself so when out and got myself one today and it was one of them pee on the end with a circle and a square and u get a cross in the square if preggo..
    Well i got the cross but one of the lines was quite faint (red lines) just wondering if this means i have my bfp or if its lying to me? i know i might sound quite silly asking this just trying not to get my hopes up before i should....:blush:
    I do have pics on my phone but struggling to get it to get them up so tryed to describe as best i could..sorry if in wrong section i wasnt sure were to post :)

It was one of boots own preg tests..

2. Max&Mom

Max&Mom Guest

Maybe test again in a few days ..but imo any line is a good line :)

3. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

A line is a line hun!

Congrats!

From peeonatick.com

The positive line is really faint. Is this okay?

An HPT tells you exactly one thing: your urine either has detectable pregnancy hormone in it, or it doesn't. The darkness or lightness of a line doesn't mean much. Generally speaking, a very light line can mean there is a small amount of hCG in your urine, and a very dark line can mean there is a larger amount of hCG in your urine. This is why you may get a faint positive at 10 DPO but a darker positive at 18 DPO. However, this is not always true. Tests are all different, and even tests in the same box may differ in sensitivity. Comparing light/dark lines will just drive you nuts. If you see a line in the "results" window, you're preg!

I took another test and the line is lighter. Does this mean anything? Should it get darker?

Not necessarily. In general, the positive line will be darker when a greater amount of hCG is present in the urine, but not always. Some tests contain more or less dye (meaning there is just more or less color to "stick" to your hCG.) Some tests are more or less sensitive-- even 2 tests in the same box can be different. Also, your urine may have more or less hCG in it depending on what you ate or drank, or how long it's been since you last peed. Food itself does not cause false results, but can affect how much urine you have and how dilute it is. Eating salty chips and drinking caffeine all day will result in more concentrated pee, whereas gorging on watermelon and ginger ale will result in lots of very dilute pee. But an HPT is not meant to tell you "how" pregnant you are. It only tells you if you are pregnant or not. As long as there is a line in the results window, you are pregnant.

4. KatieKat

KatieKat Active Member

Noodles- Thanks found that very useful,
    You ladies are a saviour in these freak out moments that my OH doesn't really seem to understand Lol

Going to test again in the morning :) x

5. Noodles

Fingers crossed hunny!

6. fingers_x'd

fingers_x'd Well-Known Member

Well firstly congrats hun and secondly well done u for being so brave in doin a test so early!! I'm a week late today with no :af: and I'm still waiting patiently to leave it as long as poss for hopefully a definite :bfp: !!!

:hug:

All sounds good for you. Keep us updated xx

7. KatieKat

KatieKat Active Member

Oo good luck to you too hun sounds pretty hopeful :)
    I know how you feel.. iv had so many BFN in the past i was actually going to leave this one, sometimes its better just to get AF rather than the BFN imo, but i just couldnt help myself lol
    Il let you know how tomorrows test goes..thanks everyone :) x

8. Cleo

Cleo Happy mom to F & L!

Great info Noodles!

9. Noodles

10. fingers_x'd

fingers_x'd Well-Known Member

I'm trying soooo hard not to get well :happydance: and I keep seein sooo many baby adverts on telly lol!!! Like u say I'd rather get :af: than see a :bfn: YET again!! Defo let me know how u get on 4 sure. I'll keep u posted bout me too!! xx :hug: and :dust:

11. KatieKat

KatieKat Active Member

Yes deffo keep me posted on how your doing! Hope u get your BFP when you decide to test :)
    good luck!
    :dust::dust:

12. KatieKat

KatieKat Active Member

Hey ladies well i couldnt help myself just did my other test and it was deffo positive..
    Im still not convinced though.. dont think i will be until iv seen the doc's lol
    good luck to everyone xx

13. sazza

sazza Well-Known Member

Congrats KatieKat! :) x x

14. JayDee

JayDee Sunshine and rainbow

Think you can start believing it now you've got a more positive line - congratulations x

15. Chloe1

Chloe1 Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! x x x x

16. mikababy

mikababy Gorgeous little baby girl

Woo hoo!! That's fab news! x

17. Noodles

Congrats hunny!

Hope to join you in 1st tri soon!

18. broodylocket

broodylocket Well-Known Member

congrats hun x

19. caz81

caz81 Well-Known Member

congratulations, i doubt that they doctors will do another test, they did not with me as they said hpt as so accurate so you are officially pregnant - congratulations again! xx

20. priddy

priddy Well-Known Member

Congrats hun, know when I went docs with last pregnancy was really disappointed as he just said if your test says u are then thats good enough for me and that was it lol!!!!