hello all.....long, boring intro from me!!

BabyHaines

Mummy to baby George!!
Reaction score
Hi,

Thought I'd post to say hello, as (I know it's early), but I'm hoping to get some advice from you ladies :winkwink: hehe

I am expecting number one and I want everything to be as natural as possible, but I'm not actually sure what options I have??

We are so lucky, as we live in a beautiful rural village in Suffolk, we have a lovely (but dinky) cottage, with a decent veg patch and our own hens and lovely dog!! So, the setting is great, but I really want to educate myself on being as natural a parent as possible (hope that makes sense??)

OH has already gotten rid of the telly!! He says he will not have his children 'propped up' in front of CBeebies or the like and he is insistent that we do not 'buy into' the whole commercial thing.

We have decided on reusable nappies, but we are struggling with which ones?? OH says Terry towelling, but I think cloth. What are the differences??

Also, is anybody else as anti-animal testing as I am. I am so careful what products I buy for us, as I cannot stand it, and am hoping I can find good natural baby products that aren't tested??:wacko:

I'm unsure on co-sleeping (although more info. would be gratefully received!!)

And I will DEFINITELY breast feed!! How long is recommended??

Sorry to bore you and sorry for questions, but I'd love to get involved :)

Em :) xxxx

Did I say something offensive in my first post?? :(

Aw love...you didn't say anything offensive....everyone is probably off typing their credit card details into fluffy bum websites and following ebay for bargains!!

I'm quite new to this section myself, but will answer as best as I can. :hugs:

We are so lucky, as we live in a beautiful rural village in Suffolk, we have a lovely (but dinky) cottage, with a decent veg patch and our own hens and lovely dog!! So, the setting is great, but I really want to educate myself on being as natural a parent as possible (hope that makes sense??) You lucky thing! :thumbup:

We have decided on reusable nappies, but we are struggling with which ones?? OH says Terry towelling, but I think cloth. What are the differences?? As far as I know, 'cloth' refers to any type of washable nappy that isn't a disposable..maybe I'm wrong and the girls will come and correct me! Terry towelling is great if you have the patience to learn the folding techniques. They dry very quickly and are cheaper than the more modern fancy nappies that a lot of the girls on here (me included!) are addicted to buying! The alternatives to terry's are far and wide ranging...just keep an eye on this board and you will soon learn the differences!!

Also, is anybody else as anti-animal testing as I am. I am so careful what products I buy for us, as I cannot stand it, and am hoping I can find good natural baby products that aren't tested?? There are TONNES of lovely natural baby products out there! Even regualr boots and supermarkets stock them now because there is such a high demand. Also, there are many websites that stock loads of lovely things (a quick google search for what you are after usually does the trick).

I'm unsure on co-sleeping (although more info. would be gratefully received!!) We don't co-sleep, but if you are breastfeeding then it is a very common and safe thing to do if done correctly. Here is a thread on the breastfeeding forum that you might be interested in https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/178363-co-sleeping-bed-sharing-bf-mums.html

And I will DEFINITELY breast feed!! How long is recommended?? The UK department of health recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months, however if you want to be as natural as possible, there are many ladies on here who have breastfed until their babies have weaned themselves off the milk (which could mean the baby is a few years old).

Hope this helps a little bit! As I said, I'm quite new to all this myself and I'm sure someone will be along to add to what I have said any time soon xxxxxxxx

Hi Honey...... this is a great website on cloth www.clothnappytree.com I think you'll love it!!!!!!!! Lots of great links and women on there who make there own natural products for wiping bums, and bathing babies.... great source of info for all different types of re-usable nappies.

I'm going to breast feed for 6 months, then reassess the situation.

I'm not going to co-sleep.... unfortunately my nephew died of SID whilst in bed with his parents :cry:. Thats not to say that it should not be done, it can be very safe, pleasurable experience for all involved, but unfortunately for me its just a bit too close to home.

I'm keeping my tele :winkwink: but like you i live in the country, have my own veg patch, two dogs, acres of open land accessible to me, and will be going on lots of walks round the country side, to the beach, and be doing lots of home made activities with my LO, just as my mum did with me.

xx

Thank you ladies - sorry was getting paranoid I'd said something stupid or wrong....?!
Thank you for the advice, I think I may head to: https://www.suffolkrealnappynetwork.org.uk/Public/Default.aspx later on to see if I can see the differences and choose which ones I like :)
The idea of terry toweling seems fine, but I must say I do like the look of some of the gorgeous ones posted on here....!!

.....Think I'll cave and end up sneaking a portable telly in....haha!! xx

there's no reason why you couldn't purchase some preloved fitted, pocket, all in ones and terry towels.... plus a couple of wraps and boosters. When your LO arrives see what works best for you. I think i'm just going to use muslin squares, a booster of some king, and a wrap for my LO when he first arrives and then take it from there..... i've collected quite a nice stash of various pre-loved nappies to try out when my LO graces me with his presence!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->