Hello, homebirth questions, tips & advice please!

Mum2MJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's my first time posting here, I'm 28 weeks pregnant with baby no2 and looks as though I should be fine for a homebirth, yay! :thumbup:

I'm really interested to hear people's stories - successful homebirth or not, and for all those experienced homebirthers...

What did you need/want but didn't have?
What tips/advice do you have for a 1st time homebirther?
I've got the hynobirthing CD's etc, anyone find these helpful at crunch time?
What couldn't you live without?
What do you wish you'd known beforehand?
Did you have to transfer to hospital and if so, what was it like & how did you feel about it?
Opinions & experiences of birthing pools

Many thanks! x

Can't help you yet as I haven't had mine but didn't want to R&R. I'll give you all the insight I can in about 2 months! :happydance:

Hi,

I had a successful home birth with my 2nd daughter about 7 1/2 years ago. I used home study hypnobirthing cd's, but my doula was well trained in hypnobirthing as well and practiced with me before the birth. So I would say commit yourself to practicing the techniques everyday especially in your last trimester...it was a tremendous help as I really didn't experience pain until I was ready to push pretty much.

I don't know if I could have done it without my doula's guidance. We had a large bath tub at the time and I had planned on having a water birth, but just before I felt the need to push I felt like laying down so I ended up having my baby in bed. So go with whatever feels right and let your body be the guide. A birthing ball was definitely a necessity. It helped with rotating the baby into proper position just prior to giving birth and my doula had a warming pad for my lower back which brought a lot of relief too. I also had easy to eat food and juice on hand for energy.

All I can say is that I had a great midwife and doula and felt very prepared for anything. It was an amazing experience that I'll never forget. All the best to you.

My homebirth was brilliant - even if I say so myself! ;-)
Seriously, it was the best experience of my life! I couldn't recommend it more!

You can find lots of great stories on the announcement pages - just search for Homebirth... there are lots & some with transfers to give you an idea of what necessitated the transfer to hospital.

My best advice would be to do RESEARCH! Get reading books on Homebirth, stories, NCT, www.homebirth.org, get on youtube and find homebirh videos - anything you can get your hands on.

Also find out about all and any complications of birth, this will equip you for the inevitable questions from people who haven't experienced or even thought about homebirth, who will say "what if something goes wrong?" (even though these people can't think of what the "wrong" bit is?!).

I didn't use hypobirthing techniques, but found myself in an almost trance like state anyways - I think it is your bodies natural way. (and It wasn't the gas and air! ;-)

I don't think I needed anything that I didn't have, but what I wanted, was straws for drinking - couldn't buy them anywhere before DD was born!

I loved the water during labour and birth. So comforting, relaxing and supportive.

There is lots of info on the first page of homebirth and homebirth hopefuls about pools, vids, books, etc.

Also, if you have one in your area, try and contact a homebirth support group.. links on homebirth.org.

You are going to have lots of fun planning your homebirth. :)
XxX

In reference to what Bournefree said here's a link to a thread with most of the natural birth stories here on the board.

Birth Stories

All I will add is I love home hypno birthing..... :cloud9: x

I had my little boy at home 5 weeks ago, I had him on my bed so the thing I couldn't have done without was the shower curtain over the bed and sheets, saved me from even having to change my sheets straight away :D and a hot water bottle. I found my birthing ball too uncomfortable so did lots of laps of the kitchen (wanted to go for a walk but it was the middle of the night and very icy and snowy). Have your hospital bag made up just incase you have to get transferred, have a lamp with a bendy neck so the Mws can see for stitches etc, fan heater incase its cold and plenty of drinks and biscuits (our MWS were starving and hadn't had brekkie yet) I also had everything in a box by the bed, it had nightie (although I gave birth in my ann summers one as the maternity one made me too hot), socks, pants, pads, towels (although we only used 2 cos LO was soo clean), clothes for baby, camera etc. Tell and show your other half what you have put in the box or if baby needs more towels, blankets etc (as mine did) where you are keeping them..... Um can't think of anything else yet but GOOD LUCK hope you have a wonderful experience x

Re; the transfer question.

I was a Home Birth Transfer and ended up with a c-section for a very high baby heart rate: https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-s...irth-transfer-c-section-birth-story-long.html

Although I was disappointed at not getting to give birth naturally at home I still found the experience empowering. My baby had a high heart rate that kept getting higher, so at the point that was discovered I stopped being a low risk birth and home birth wasn't suitable for us any more. The same thing would have happened in hospital, I'd have just been hooked up to the monitor a little sooner.

The transfer itself was pretty straight forward. The midwives made the decision, made a phone call and a few minutes later the ambulance arrived. My midwife helped me walk to the ambulance and swap onto their tank of gas and air and travelled with me to the hospital, and my birth partners followed with my stuff. The ambulance driver put the siren and blue lights on to get us there quickly through rush hour. When we got to the hospital we had a room set up and waiting for us.

I think people worry a transfer will be really dramatic but I found it quick, easy and straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->