Hello lovely homebirthers

lalalistic

Mum to Poppy
Reaction score
Im 29 weeks and expecting my little boy on the 2nd April. I had my little girl Poppy in hospital in the birthing pool and loved it.
I think I am going to have a home birth this time because the hospital only has one pool and I didn't like the experience of being in the hospital after the birth.
I managed with gas and air last time so hoping I will be ok this time too.
I have a bit of a question about the pool location. I'm planning on putting it up in out kitchen/dining area. What would I need to do/set up for delivering the placenta (not sure about doing that in the pool) and any check ups/stitches etc I may need. Would I just do that in my room on my bed? Would I end up traipsing blood up the stairs (dont think hubby would be too happy about that!)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Theres a thread here for things you might need/want for your homebirth including things like a cheapie (£2 from asda jobbie) shower curtain, some old towels/sheets to cover the armchair/sofa/floor plus the MW will bring inco pads like you may have sat/laid on in hospital.

You wont be expected to traipse through the house, when you get out of the pool you can settle where ever is comfortable for you - thats the beauty of homebirth!

The midwives should be good at containing everything together. What you should do is talk to your midwife about where she thinks she may do these things when you have your home visit. That's what I ended up doing because I had the same thoughts. I always knew where we would put the pool. But if I needed stiches or needed to get out to deliver the placenta I was concerned. She said some women sit on the toilet to deliver the placenta and she would just have me hold a pad to myself on the small walk there so nothing drips out. Or she'll put some inco pads on my couch and do everything there. We've decided to get an extra shower curtain (got ours from Poundland!) for throwing over the couch if need be.

Hey I DID end up walking about the house!
I had intended to birth the placenta in the pool.. but I had a whole leg cramp about 20mins after DD was born.. I just had to stand and get out!

So the cord was cut and clamped.. As my placenta hadn't detached, and the cord had stopped plusating, there wasn't any blood leaking from me.. Although the cord was really long¬!!!

My OH cut the cord close to the clamp nearest baby.. so I had nearly a half meter of cord with a pair of surgical/sissor clamps on the end - So while I walked about, one of the MWs had hold of the other end with a door-mat-sized pad in her other hand (just in case) it was quite comical! But the cream carpets were fine!

And I had been pretty much all over the house!; to the bathroom, back to the sofa, and then on the bed - where the placenta finally came away, an hour and a half later! I was getting inpatient (that prob didn't help things) No idea why it took so long, nothing was the matter.
XxX

My MW came over last Friday and said that we should get a plastic sheet and put it on the sofa/couch, cover it with an old sheet- if I needed stitches, they would do it there. My MW also suggested lots of old/cheap towels (and they have lots of absorbent pads too) for covering the floor.

Some MWs are OK with you delivering the placenta in the pool, others prefer for you to come out as it may be difficult to assess blood loss in the pool.

Hey you know, I realised, I just nattered on about myself, and didn't answer your question!

So basically, It is up to you where you would feel comfortable delivering the placenta (even if they do ask you to get out, it is ultimately your choice) and if you need stitches.
Obviously for stitches, it is best to adopt the same position as if you were having a smear test - laying on your back with your feet together and knees flopped out either side. You can do that anywhere you like; sofa, bed, floor, bean bag. Could be more convenient to do it in the same room you birthed in.. but, until that happens you might not know where you will be!? (beauty of being a home) I would just keep all your sheets, towels and extras, plus baby clothes, in little separate piles together out of the way* in the same room as the pool, so you, your OH and your MWs know where everything is and it can be brought wherever it is needed.
xXx

* It is good to be able to have access all the way around the pool for MWs and your OH, that way you can adopt any position you like, and they will still be able to observe. But I'm sure you have thought about that.

Thank you for your brilliant replies. Feeling lots happier about things now. I am seeing my midwife on Wednesday so will ask her some things as well.
I have a tendency to think to much about things really.
You have all put my mind at rest. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->