help a newbi?

MummyinJune

Reaction score
https://www.babyandbump.com/cloth-diapers-nappies/793071-help-newbi.html i was told 2 try this here. thanks for help

EBay nappies are cheap, they're pretty, lots of people like them but personally I wouldn't touch them. Not as a first nappy to try anyway. From what I hear, they're not rated for their absorbancy or durability and this could make them seem like more work than they really are, especially for someone used to disposables and their ever expanding crystals.

I'd suggest contacting your local authority (not sure what region you're in, I know the Lothians has a scheme through Changeworks) for sample packs. You can get a trial which you send back, or one you keep, full of a few different types of nappies so you can get a better idea what style suits your baby and lifestyle before you start spending any real amount of money on things. If your area doesn't have a scheme, the online nappy retailer, Fill Your Pants does their own, similar, trial scheme.

Thanks would they be second hand though? i really dont want second hand ones - just coz i wouldnt wear 2nd hand pants myself lol :)

Didn't get the trial myself as was already using cloth when I came across it. From memory, I don't think so and the FYP trial definitely uses brand new nappies.

As for second hand/preloved nappies, you'll probably find that most of us who enjoy using cloth are VERY particular about how nappies are cared for and its easy to perform a really thorough (aka strip) wash on any nappies you get preloved to ensure there's definitely no nasties left.

I think most people think that about preloved nappies at first, but you soon come to realise that baby poo is baby poo, whoever does it :lol:. Most people would be ok to use the same nappies on two of their children, it's really no different :)

Thanks would they be second hand though? i really dont want second hand ones - just coz i wouldnt wear 2nd hand pants myself lol :)

No. I've not come across any nappy incentive which offers used nappies - that would be classed as a nappy library. Most of the Highlands incentives are good schemes. If you PM me, and let me know where you are, I can let you know if there is a scheme in your area, and if so what it offers, and a link to it.

ebay cheapies are a pocket nappy. I can't get them to last long for my toddler so I only tend to use them round the house now, but many people get on fine with them. I think it probably is worth getting one or two to look at and play with, you could always sell on if you don't get on with them. I like the seller 97kgallery on ebay, watch out for p and p prices as they vary depending on the auction, many are free p and p. Here is a link to one of their auctions (I like camo print or animal prints for a boy):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-PICK-P..._Baby_Changing_Nappies_LE&hash=item45fdd9e29a

If you aren't sure about what type of nappy you are after look here:
https://www.babyandbump.com/natural-parenting/349794-beginners-guide-cloth.html

ebay cheapies are a pocket nappy. I can't get them to last long for my toddler so I only tend to use them round the house now, but many people get on fine with them. I think it probably is worth getting one or two to look at and play with, you could always sell on if you don't get on with them. I like the seller 97kgallery on ebay, watch out for p and p prices as they vary depending on the auction, many are free p and p. Here is a link to one of their auctions (I like camo print or animal prints for a boy):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-PICK-P..._Baby_Changing_Nappies_LE&hash=item45fdd9e29a

If you aren't sure about what type of nappy you are after look here:
https://www.babyandbump.com/natural-parenting/349794-beginners-guide-cloth.html

Thanks, Is that all you need? or do u buy somthing else seperate?

For the nappy or for "doing cloth"? For the nappy technically that's all you need - it's the pocket part and the insert which goes in the pocket. Many people find that used like this they don't last long and they "boost" them by adding a bamboo booster to the pocket (a lot of people like Little Lamb bamboo boosters as they are slim and cheapish). How old is your baby?

To cloth nappy in general you also need somewhere to store them until wash day (most people use a big lidded bin called a dry pail). There are lots of optional extras you can use such as well like wipes, liners etc. but I'm not sure you are at the stage of knowing whether you want to cloth or not, so for now I wouldn't get any of that! just some nappies to trial, maybe one or two ebay cheapies and / or a local trial. Also you can get "ebay cheapies" from some UK based sites now (as china can take a long time) such as tiny nippers, which is one I like who do both popper or aplix (velcro) fastening.

Thanks, So i just order one say and thats all i need 2 try out?? He is 4months, 5 at the end of this month. How do they work sizes? Hes in size 4 disposable x

some cloth are sized and some are BTP (birth to potty or one sized fits most). it's a bit like Pampers vs Huggies vs Asda etc that a nappy which suits one baby may not work for another and that is why people always advise not to buy a whole set of 20 nappies before you've tried them out.

ebay cheapies are almost always BTP, so (if they suit your baby) will fit most except small newborns and grow with your baby. You adjust the poppers at the front to the correct rise (my DD would take size 4 or 4+ in sposies and she is on the middle setting of the poppers of most BTPs). and then pull in as far as you need around the waist.

Minky is a type of fabric that is very soft and kind of fuzzy. You might try one minky and one regular fabric, which is called PUL, to see what you think. In an ebay cheapie both types are waterproof and should work the same, it is just a difference in what the outer portion of the diaper is made of. Generally minky nappies are a bit bulkier because the fabric is thicker, but they feel really nice.

Ahhh (im learning so much just now haha) I have ordered a cotton one, because i didnt no what minky was lol - so is your personal faveorite a minky?

Sorry one more Que, do i need liners aswell? If so whats the best kind to get?

Sorry one more Que, do i need liners aswell? If so whats the best kind to get?

No you do not need them. Most ebay cheapies are lined with fleece so are stay dry. I personally do not use liners with ebay cheapies, but I use them with many of my other nappies eg BumGenius, Tots Bots Easyfits etc.

Personally I like fleece liners. You can just let the poo roll off them into the toilet (once baby weaned and having solid poo) and it is lovely and soft on babies bum. You can buy from places like ebay or Tiny nippers, or you can cut up a polar fleece scarf or blanket with fabric scissors. You don't need to sew as it doesn't fray, just wash first to prevent shrinkage.

You can also get paper liners which is what I use for nursery as it suits their set up better. You can get biodegradable and flushable ones and just flush the poo away on the liner. If it has just been weed on many of them can be washed with the nappy and used again. I use Little Green Earthlets which are quite sturdy but a bit hard. I have seen recommendations on here for Tots Bots paper liners and for Boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->