HELP! Been told I need to lose 3 stone.

Gucci1owner

Reaction score
Hello
I am 8 weeks pregnant and my BMI is 29. I have already lost weight on Weight Watchers but my BMI is still high. Apparently if my BMI goes above 30 my folic acid will not absorb, so I am very scared.

Has anyone else lost 3 stone during their pregnancy just though eating a balanced diet and exercising? Is it possible?

I'm following the Weight Watchers plan but I've put a bit of weight on recently (3lbs) due to constant nibbling due to morning sickness.

Scared to death as I had a very bad labour with my first child and I was a stone lighter then!

Many thanks

That's an awful lot to expect a pregnant woman to lose. I've never heard that folic acid thing before. I'm hoping to lose weight during pregnancy but I would be amazed if I lost that much. Eat healthy and exercise! Good luck!

In lbs it is 42lbs.

I have already lost 21lbs. My midwife told me today that a bmi of 30+ means you need a larger dose of folic acid.

Cor, that's a big ask! I thought that normally they suggest not to put on weight, or hardly any, when you're very overweight. The folic acid thing is somewhat true in that sometimes they prescribe a higher dose to obese women. I'm on that dose for other reasons. You could maybe take more than the 400microg in normal tablets if you are worried. I'm on 5mg (12.5x the normal dose) for another reason, which you could ask your doctor to prescribe to you or you could just take extra of the little pills.

As for controlling your weight, it seems like you are already doing a great job! :thumbup: Don't panic and keep up with what you are doing already. Maybe add some light exercise if you can. Things will hopefully get easier when you're no longer struggling with morning sickness :hugs:

I'm guessing it's not your midwife who's told you to lose 3 stone?! As losing weight in pregnancy is not recommended. My BMi is 31 and I've not been told to lose weight but am looking to minimise any gain. I'd not heard about the folic acid either tho have been given a prescription for 5mg increased dosage due to other reasons. Don't stress and just try to eat healthy and not gain excessive amounts of weight x

I'm guessing it's not your midwife who's told you to lose 3 stone?! As losing weight in pregnancy is not recommended. My BMi is 31 and I've not been told to lose weight but am looking to minimise any gain. I'd not heard about the folic acid either tho have been given a prescription for 5mg increased dosage due to other reasons. Don't stress and just try to eat healthy and not gain excessive amounts of weight x

Yes, my midwife has not mentioned having to lose weight only that the folic acid dose might be increased if I gain weight. I really don't want to put my baby at risk at all.

Thank you for all of your replies. Xxx

Wow, I'm very surprised by that... I'm way above 30 BMI and my doctor still told me not to lose any weight. I had not heard about the folic acid thing but I am making an effort to drink orange juice daily and make sure I'm always taking my vitamins.

I would get a 2nd opinion. That's a lot of weight to lose.

I agree with the previous posters. I would get a second opinion. I was at a BMI of 32 when I got pregnant with DS2 and my doctors just gave me information on healthy eating during pregnancy so that I didn't gain too much extra weight. My BMI now is 28 and when I told my doc I could hear my baby's heartbeat on the doppler at 8 weeks, he said "yeah that's probably because you're pretty thin" I just chuckled, lol. I can't see how your healthcare provider could possibly or reasonably want you to actually lose that much weight while pregnant?!

If you have a pinterest account you can research pregnancy diets, they are meant to keep you from gaining excess weight. Lots of really great tips. I would not go trying to lose that much weight without consulting a dr

Losing more than 40lbs sounds a lot more dangerous to me than being overweight during pregnancy. My BMI is higher than yours by a few points, and my midwife just wants me to be careful not to gain more than 20lbs. My similarly overweight friend who accidentally lost weight due to appetite changes and sickness was under constant thread of hospitalization if she didn't stop losing. I don't know who told you to lose, but I'd run away fast and find someone who knows what they're talking about to help you. Pregnancy is not the time for a calorie restricted diet.

who ever told you to lose that amount of weight needs locking up away from pregnant women!!

a BMI of 30 is nothing! My BMI was 31 at my booking appointment and yes it's considered 'over weight' i have asked to stay at slimming world and have been told yes - but do not diet! I've gained masses of weight so far (i'm having twin but still gained more than i should have at this stage!)

Yes the folic acid thing is true, however not at that kind of BMI - if your midwife was worried she would have given you a prescription for extra folic acid. I am on aspirin due to my age, BMI and twin combination making me high risk and extra calcium and vitamin D due to the twins but no extra folic acid other than my prenatals.

Nobody should be told to lose that kind of weight when pregnant, no matter what size you start out at! Limit weight gain is a fair enough ask, but not to lose any!

My BMI is 28 and they said I was in the ok zone. Don't worry about losing weight!

Hi everyone.
No one has said I have to lose the three stone, that is what I need to lose to get in the middle range for my bmi. My midwife did not mention losing weight, just about the folic acid.
I'm the one with a panic and bee in my bonnet about losing weight.
The midwife did say to continue with my weight watchers as I'm doing well. Which is exactly what my practice nurse and gp said.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. I feel MUCH better. Xxx

It is generally not considered safe to LOSE weight while pregnant. If you are obese (you are not) you are recommended to gain very little. My BMI was 30 when I conceived DS, I gained 33lbs in 33 weeks (he was a preemie) and lost 30 of them in the first 6-8 weeks after he was born. It is perfectly safe to gain a reasonable amount of weight, you are creating a life support system for a new person!

No one mentioned taking any extra folic acid to me, I took the regular amount in my prenatals.

I was told to lose as much weight as possible when pregnant with Sophie. I think I managed about 10kg.

I recently had my meeting with midwife, my bmi is 30+ & I've been told not to lose weight as it's unhealthy. Obviously with being pregnant, watch your diet etc. I have been prescribed higher dosage of folic acid & aspirin (not to take yet, maybe for higher risk of high blood pressure?)

I wouldn't worry to much. That can't be healthy either. I lost weight on slimming world before getting pregnant & the way I see it is after my bundle of joy has arrived, I will work on my weight loss then :)

That's a lot of weight to lose. My BMI at booking was 34, which is way over what it should be. I wasn't told to lose weight or to have an increased dosage of folic acid. I've just been taking pregnacare plus vitamins from the get go as soon as I got my BFP.

I've had higher BMI's in all three of my pregnancies and just taken the set dose of folic acid in pregnancy vitamins and had two healthy children, hopefully three in october, but I'm 30 weeks now so the folic acid situation didnt harm anything in the first 12 weeks with this baby.

I wouldn't go on any drastic diets or challenge yourself to lose 3stone I think that's unrealistic to expect of a pregnant woman. I would just continue to eat healthy and get as much exercise such as walking and swimming in as you feel comfortable and try to maintain your weight if it's that important not to gain weight. Overall, I don't think gaining will matter in the long run as it'll come back off once the baby is born anyway, and you can work on losing weight then.
x

Hi everyone.
No one has said I have to lose the three stone, that is what I need to lose to get in the middle range for my bmi. My midwife did not mention losing weight, just about the folic acid.
I'm the one with a panic and bee in my bonnet about losing weight.
The midwife did say to continue with my weight watchers as I'm doing well. Which is exactly what my practice nurse and gp said.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. I feel MUCH better. Xxx

Your thread is titled "Been told I need to lose 3 stone", which is not exactly true. You even said so yourself in this post. Your midwife said you are on the higher end weight wise, and you interpreted that (incorrectly) that you need to LOSE weight, and quite a drastic bit.

Glad you are feeling better. If you need some clarity, I'd suggest talking to your midwife about healthy weight gain during pregnancy and see what kind of guidelines she gives you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->