Help combining breast feeding and expressing

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Lu28, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I was just looking for some advice on the best way to try and combine breast feeding and expressing.

Aisling had alot of trouble latching on initially so after the first 5 days I started expressing for her - on day 4, she pretty much had nothing all day and I was beside myself with worry. I now feel alot calmer yesterday and managed to get her onto the breast yesterday and today for one feed although I still had to top her up with an expressed bottle afterwards.

Thing is, she seems to have something against my left boob and won't take anything from it! :dohh: I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do both as I'd like to have the option of breast feeding directly every now and then although I don't think I'll manage it for most feeds during the day.

Any advice on the best way to do this? I'm thinking I'm going to have to express from my left boob anyway but I do wonder what the point is in the breast feeding if she'll need a bottle at the end anyway....

Also, any tips on how to get her to open her mouth wider so she gets more of the boob? I've tried physically moving her bottom jaw but she's very strong already...

Sorry for the long post but any advice would be great! :)

2. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Hi hun

With the prefered boob thing....it's quite common (esp early on) for babes to have a fav boob!! The easiest way to try to deal with this is to try a different position. Do you know what I mean by the rugby ball hold?? It when you put the baby to the left breast by putting their head to the boob (OBV :rofl:) but rather than tummy to mummy's tummy ie across with feet to the right side of you, you put their tummy across your left hand side ie tummy to mummy's left ribs and feet going round to the left and behind - does that make sense?? They are fooled into thinking they are on the other boob almost. :D Give that a whirl for starters.

My LO was rubbish at opening her mouth wide so what I was told to do was to sandwich your boob between your thumb underneath and fingers on top and touch/tickle between the tip of her nose and top lip with your nipple and she should open more and then you kind of flick the nipple and plenty of areola into her mouth - I dunno if I described that well or not.....:dohh:

Let us know how you get on. :D

3. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Thanks hon! :) She's latched on again to rightie and spent an hour going between sucking and falling asleep (kept rubbing her ear to wake her). I figured after an hour she would have had a half way decent feed and she had milk around her mouth when I took her off (after her not waking up again) but within 5 minutes she was screaming for a bottling and is horsing it down as I type! :dohh: Maybe she's just not sucking efficiently? She seems to constantly fall asleep at the boob regardless of the time of day, not sure what to do about that?

4. Mervs Mum

It's early days honey and (sorry to be the bearer of bad news....) you are probably in or just about to hit the world famous 2 week growth spurt! It will feel like you are a dairy cow as all you will do is put that baby on and off and on again....:dohh:.....

Be aware that if you give her a bottle your boobs wont get the message that she's growing and wont know to produce more. It's a killer but you just have to keep putting her on and then when the next spurt hits it shouldnt be quite as bad.

As I said to start do remember that it's still very very early days and you are both learning. I remember about day 10 when I was in a similar position. I'd gotten into pumping, topping up AND trying to give her a dummy and it was all waaaaay too much for such a little dot to cope with. She needed to learn one thing at once. So I ditched everything and spent 2 days (2 difficult days I might add) just feeding, swapping sides, feeding some more....ad infinitum!!!

x

5. Angelface

Angelface Mummy to a princess &Bump

leila did the same hun,i was constantly feeding for 3-4 hours at a time having a 10 min break and going again, maybe u should just try riding it out for a few days?

i express from one and feed from the other and save the expressed for hubby to give her before bed, i only manage to get 1-2 oz a go, so i save them in the fridge.

x

6. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Thanks girls, I just thought she wasn't getting enough milk from me and that's why she was looking for more so soon :dohh: How do you guys manage it with going to visit people and having people coming to see you? I'd prefer not to breastfeed in front of anyone except DH and my sister so it's quite difficult with everyone wanting to see her etc

7. Mervs Mum

I only allowed visits by appointment to start with - 1 visitor (or couple/family) in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. It took some time to get through them but sorry, feeding my bubby came first and at that point I didnt get my cans out for ANYONE!! :rofl: Now I dont give a flying fig. I sat here today with the girls out while hubby marked coursework with another work colleague!!! :lol:
    If someone was around and I needed to feed I went in my bedroom and chilled out in there on my bed.....sometimes when the visitors were bugging me I pretended she needed feeding and just buggered off anyway!!

8. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

:rofl: I'm liking the excuse to get away from visitors every now and then! :)

9. Mervs Mum

and to get your baby back off your MIL and the like!! :rofl: If I didnt like the way they were passing her about, I'd say 'right! she needs feeding - give her to me please!'

:winkwink:

10. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Typing lefthanded here cos Aisling is happily sucking away again! :happydance: Thing is, she's still needing a bottle feed straight after she BF and she lasts much longer with the expressed milk. She gets really relaxed and keeps falling asleep so I wonder if she's sucking more for comfort than food?

11. Mervs Mum

Is the suck gentle and almost quivery at the end?? Quite a few have agreed that this is how their LO comfort sucks - I know Hebe's was like that. Everytime you top her up with BM or formula youre not giving your boobs chance to build their supply - it's totally fine if it works for you but just be aware that once you get into a pattern of it you'll always need to and even more so in growth spurts. :)

12. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

She seems to take 6 or 7 sucks and then just lies there with my boob in her mouth, I sometimes have to give her a poke to get her going again for a bit :dohh: She fed for an hour with me, came off and started crying 15 minutes later so gave her expressed milk out of curiosity and she downed 90ml barely taking a breath?! I wonder if she's feeding slowly with me because it's harder work on the boob snd she just hasn't got the hang of it yet...

13. Mervs Mum

Absolutely correct!

When Hebe was 10 days old, I rang my MW as I was feeling like I sisnt have enough for her and kept having to top her up. She sent me to The Baby Cafe which is a local BFing support group. The LC there asked me everything about our situation. She said that from what I was saying (and she watched me feeding her) that she didnt think I had any issues with me supply. At that time I was BFing, pumping (in an attempt to increase my supply) topping up with formula and using a dummy for comfort sucking. She said that i was expecting too much too soon - from me and from her. She said that Hebe needed to learn for BF and so did I. I was throwing bottles and dummies in to the mix too.

The way I think of it is that your baby has to learn to eat with chopsticks and just as they are getting somewhere with them you offer them a knife and fork. So they have to learn that too. They are clever cookies and after a while they will tell you where to shove your chopsticks!!

I ditched everything that day and we had between 48 and 72hours that were tough but certainly not hell - I wanted to top her up soooooo bad....I couldnt bear to listen to her crying and screamed at my hubby 'I NEED TO GIVE HER A BOTTLE!!!!' fortunately he'd been with me to Baby Cafe and he also knew how much I wanted to get this BFing sorted! So he took her off me for an hour and walked the floor while I tried to rest for a while. Then it was baby on boobie again I'm afraid and you know once we got through that couple of days it became a breeze. Not a cracked nipple or a top up in site!!!

Now I can pump and get plenty off and I can even top up with formula if necessary and everything works beautifully :D