Help! Does thrush hurt like a clogged duct???

heather1212

Reaction score
I posted on here the other day as I was having pain just in one breast and I just didn't know why!
Basically quite close to my nipple and the area around is hot and hurts exactly like a blocked duct. So this morning I massaged it and put a hot flannel on and it seemed to go away, but all day today the pain has been coming and going, and oddly seems worse when I'm cold!?
When LO feeds on that side though I don't get the same pain, it sometimes feels a bit scratchy when he feeds but it may be his latch, he often also likes to pull the nipple and pop off and on it repeatedly!
Does this just sound like a clogged duct or could it be thrush?
How could I possibly tell?
Please help it's worrying me! :-(
Heather

Hey hun, hoping this helps. I found thrush to be more of a shooting pain from the 'back of the nipple' midway through and directly after a feed. My plugged ducts felt like more of a throb in the breast, hot and red with a lump I could feel. I did only have

Do your nipples go white at all? And when does the pain come....I have Raynauds and my nipple with go bright white, burn and tingle anywhere from 5mins after a feed until the next is due. I wouldn't have thought it would affect just one, but maybe it's just affected more.

I'd say go to your GP and ask them x

Thanks for the reply.
No I can't say I've ever noticed my nipple go white.
Today I haven't had the blocked duct pain so I'm assuming I did have a blocked duct that is now sorted.
I have however had a strange tingly pain, not too severe or overly painful, that gas just been on and off throughout the day.
I'm currently feeding LO and it felt fine but now half an hour in I've got a bit of a stinging pain in my nipple!
LO has been weighed today and has put on 8.5 ounces which is really good for him! I don't suppose this would have caused a change in feeding habits that may cause this pain???
Heather

Has he just had a bit of a growth spurt!? I find when Bee does and my supply ups itself that I feel my let down far more for the couple of weeks after; and where she has been suckling a lot between feeds (and I'm a big leaker!) I would feel the let down when she wasn't even on. Maybe something similar!?

Glad the blocked duct seems to have gone!
X

Well now that I've actively been looking out for it I've noticed that my nipples do get either a White patch on them or go really pale after feeding.
Today I've had the tingly sensations off and on all day. It's almost like my breasts feel like they did in the early days when I was new to breastfeeding.
In bed last night I had a bit of a throbbing feeling in my right breast.
I really don't want to go to my gp, he really is clueless with anything breastfeeding related! I may call my local breastfeeding support helpline instead!
Also, may I just add, the pain isn't too strong or unbearable at all, and it isn't even constant. When I feel LO it doesn't hurt, although towards the end of the feed it does start getting a little uncomfortable like a rough feeling on my nipple.
I love breastfeeding and it gets me down when things aren't right! :-(
Heather

How's it been goinng? Have a google of nipple blanching. It mau help to make sure nipples are dry after a feed and covered, putting hot flannels on them between feeds.

^^well I spoke to the lactation expert lady on the phone and she said it could be thrush or reynauds, so she wanted to get thrush ruled out so I've got a prescription for some cream to use off the hv, then if that doesn't help then it is probably reynauds.
Thank you for your help!
Heather x

Not sure if you solved your problem yet but thought I would add my two cents. When I had thrush my baby was a few weeks old and when she would nurse, it was probably THE most excruciating pain every I cried every time she nursed. Her pedi looked in her mouth and confirmed she had thrush, so I called my OB and he phoned in a script for something called Newmans nipple ointment. It has a combination of an anti fungal, anti biotic, anti inflammatory and something else I forget but it kind of covers all your basis no matter where the problem is stemming from. One day later I was pain free it was absolutely a miracle. Anyways ask about this ointment it worked wonders for me. It was 60 dollars because they have to specially make it when you get the script but well worth it.

Fingers crossed it's thrush and gets sorted. Raynauds nipple pain...I don't wish that on anyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->