Help for mum with disability??

lexx7

Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place - I've tried a couple of other avenues on here but with no response. I appreciate that this is for people with children with special needs/disabilities, but I wondered if anyone happens to know about help for a mum with a disability??

I've been ttc for 3 and half years on and off and am back on the rollercoaster now and really feel that my time will be soon :happydance: My husband is very concerend about getting help though as since our last attempt of ttc, I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, (i also have a bladder disease and possible endometriosis again, along with intermitent chest and back pain.) I get by ok and only take natural/holistic remeides and supplements and I am very hopeful and postive towards pregnancy and birth etc in that I will be ok. That said - I am trying to find out if I can get help after birth if I were to struggle initially, (too weak.)

Does anyone happen to know if there is help available with a newborn? We don't have family close by and the few friends we have here (we moved for my husbands job), all work full-time. Friends that have had children have all been lucky to have help from their parents, but we don't have that.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out here and I'm truly sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

there is a gropu on here for mums woth disabilitys they maybe able to help you

i have chronic fatigue syndrome and suffer lots of pain with it if i hadnt have had surpport from my mum and oh at the start i would have struggled

do you have enough spare money to think about a doula they will help before during and after the brith even if its just some one to make you food or watch the baby while your husband is at work so you can sleep or have a bath

my friend has a au-pair who lives with thyem to help out

hope someone else can be more helpful x

Thanks so much for replying.

I have heard of Doula's and I know someone that had one help them, but I also know it cost them about £2k in total. A Doula would be just great, but that is a lot of money to find and if I did need one, I would want them with me 5 days a week if not more and that would result in a very hefty bill.

It would be great if there is a service like a Doula whom I could get help from via the nhs perhaps, but I don't know of any organsations, even if we had to pay, it would be ok if it weren't anywhere near the amount for a private Doula. I just don't know if anything like this exists.

I am due to go for a blood test at the end of next week, so I will perhaps ask the nurse there if she knows of any such thing and can give me some info.

Thanks again for the advice :flower:

Hi Lexx Just wanted to let you know that the average cost of a doula is only £500 and for a newly qualified doula you can be looking at a maximum of £200. (I am a doula but not in your area :winkwink: )

Have a look at these website to see if there are any newly qualified doula's in your area :D

https://www.douladirectory.co.uk/

https://www.doula.org.uk/content/duk/find/default.asp

:hugs: I dont have myasthenia gravis but I am disabled, I have epilepsy and hyperthyroid.

If you are in the UK, you may be able to get disability allowance and a carers allowance but you would have to check the requirments. I doubt you would get a doula on the nhs, but if you get the benefits maybe that would cover the cost?

We now live in the states and get no help, I get a disabled bus pass though:thumbup:

Maybe the docs could also give you more intensive treatment post birth to help, I read that plasmophoresis (sp) can make you symptom free for 4-6 weeks.:flower:

I'm sorry I have no idea but the girls above seem to have some good advice, just wanted to wish you luck :D

Thanks for the links Mervs Mum :flower:
I had a look and you're right about the £200/£500, but that is just for the birth and possibly a couple of visits beforehand. I would want someone after the birth to help me at home and they charge £10 an hour, so even a few hours each morning is quite expensive, but I may start saving :thumbup: There is a lady near to me that sounds lovely, I want to book her now but I need Mr Storky to visit first :haha:

Hi Mummy3, thanks for your message :flower: Thanks for the advice about the benefits but I am staying positive that I will never get to the point where I would meet the criteria for the higher rates and the CA. As to for the Plasmapheresis, you have given me food for thought there..... I don't take any allopathic drugs and have refused any surgery (there is a post I put on the introduce yourself if you want a read, but be warned, it's long :haha: ) I take natural supplements and have a wonderful homeopath, but all that said, I have promised my husband that should things go aray, I would consider taking mesition although I would have to be in a very bad way to do so as I really am against taking chemical drugs. So as much as I wouldn't want the Plasmapheresis, I may well agree to it if really needed and thanks for the reminder :flower:
I hope life in the States is good and thanks again :hugs:

...and thanks Newt :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back