• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Help From Anyone Claiming Job Seekers/Income Support/SMA

X

xxEMZxx

I'm really confused how I go about this all..
I lost my job in September (coincedently found out I was pregnant 2 weeks later..) After a long battle with the job centre they finally accepted my claim for income based jobseekers which I have been on since Nov. Although I am trying to find a job I haven't had much luck and can't see any employer wanting to employ someone who will be going on Maternity Leave in 2 months. (March).

The jobcenter know I am pregnant and told me to apply for Statuary Maternity Allowance 11 weeks before my due date (March 14th tha will be). But I read up on it and it said if you are out of work for more than a certain amount of weeks (can't remember excactly) I'm not entitled and will have to apply for income support. Is this right? And also do I need to hand in my Mat B 1 Form into anyone at the job center or send off when applying for whatever benefit I am meant to be getting? I tried asking at the jobcenter but they are all idiots with the same answer. "You can't do anything till 11 weeks before." I know they are all looking down on me! Arghhh!!

Sorry for the rant, I just need some advice how to go about this all.

i lost my job in dec the job centre told me i would go onto income support not maternity allowance i cannot answer about the mat b 1 form thou i dont think they need it although they might i hope this helps x

Thanks. Yeah I guess it will be income support then. I will just have to ask about it closer to the date.

Hi there,

I'm in a slightly different position to you as I have a son already, so when I lost my job in October, I was eligible for Income Support straight away. Now I'm expecting, Ive been told I cannot get SMP as I'm not working, but as I've worked for 26 weeks out of the last 66 weeks before my due date (confusing I know!) I can get Maternity Allowance. And I can carry on getting my Income Support too.

All in all, the system is confusing, and the staff are always unhelpful. I suggest researching on the internet, and going to the JC and asking. Sometimes you are lucky enough to find a non monkey, and try to ask all the questions you can!

hello, im in a similar sorta situation, its 29 weeks you can apply for income support but your definitely entitled, go get the form at 29 weeks and it just swaps over x

I rang the maternity allowance last night they said i can claim that as i worked for 6 months 66 weeks before i am due she told me to send off for the form now so its ready and send it off when i am 26 weeks so it will start straight away at 29 weeks if you need the number to enquire yourself let me know x

For MA you need to have been employed (or self employed) for 26 weeks out of the 66 weeks up to your due date. You are two weeks ahead of me so due date around the end of May?

If you are due the week of the 23rd may, you need to have been employed for 26 weeks between 15th Feb 2009 and 22nd May 2010.

You say you lost your job in september so if you were employed from 15th Feb onwards as long as you were still employed upto the middle of august you would qualify for MA

Does that make sense?

Hi, I'm due at the beginning of May and I lost my job in the July and got pregnant in the August. I keep going for interviews but I'm quite big now and I think that puts people off employing me as I'm planning on taking maternity leave at 29wks which is the end of feb. I was told by the job centre that I need to give them my matb1. I haven't got a clue if I would get MA but I know that I would get income support, and the other thing would I get the maternity grant if I counldn't get MA?
I hope that helps you a bit and if anyone can answer my question that would be a great help.

See above for if you would be entitled to MA (or give them a ring they are really helpful. YOu would get Income support if you are a lone parent or your partner is on a low income. If he earns over a certain amount you wouldnt get anything (other than incapacity benefit for 6 weeks).

If you do qualify for MA you would get that for 39 weeks then (if you remain unemployed) you would be able to apply for income support.

The maternity grant is income tested and I dont think this is affected by MA or income support. I am pretty sure if you are on income support though it is a passported benefit so you would automatically get it.

I have done a thread on this before but there is a way to get MA if you dont qualify through employment. It involves being registered as self employed and making payments of class 2 NI. If anyone needs more info on this PM me and ill see if I can help.

They will need your matb1 form as they cant do anything without it from 29th week.
as it needs to be sent to the head office near u and then u can claim for income support.
i was on jsa until this thursday and they told me to sign off and now i am claiming for income support from friday (as im 29 weeks) BUT it can take upto 3 weeks to process and ur not guaranteed any money in the mean time.

You'll only get the sure start mat grant if you get income support, JSA, higher rate child tax crredit or disabled person working tax.

also apply for both income support and maternity allowance, as you will be entitled to one or the other and then you won't lose out when your benefit swops over

They will need your matb1 form as they cant do anything without it from 29th week.
as it needs to be sent to the head office near u and then u can claim for income support.
i was on jsa until this thursday and they told me to sign off and now i am claiming for income support from friday (as im 29 weeks) BUT it can take upto 3 weeks to process and ur not guaranteed any money in the mean time.

Should I take my matb1 form in as soon as I get it from my midwifes then? Or do I send that off with my Income Support claim?

I dont really have any advice for you, just what I'v had of them today.
I'v been claming JSA for a few weeks since I lost my job, but they have not been paying me anything saying that I have not paid enough NI, even tho i have worked for 2 and a half years. Went to day to sign on and told them my address had changed and that I was over 11weeks pregnant, and they canceled my claim!! and said i had to ring and reclaim so they could change my details....Im sure it would just have been easier to update it on there system while I was there, I asked what benefits I'd be entitled to as i got further into my pregnancy and she just didn't seemed interested and tried to rush me.
I was planning on going back to work, but don't see many employers wanting to take me on when I am nearly 3months pregnant, my partners wages (altho he works fulltime) is not going to be enough for us 2, our child, and the CSA he pays his ex.

I dont really have any advice for you, just what I'v had of them today.
I'v been claming JSA for a few weeks since I lost my job, but they have not been paying me anything saying that I have not paid enough NI, even tho i have worked for 2 and a half years. Went to day to sign on and told them my address had changed and that I was over 11weeks pregnant, and they canceled my claim!! and said i had to ring and reclaim so they could change my details....Im sure it would just have been easier to update it on there system while I was there, I asked what benefits I'd be entitled to as i got further into my pregnancy and she just didn't seemed interested and tried to rush me.
I was planning on going back to work, but don't see many employers wanting to take me on when I am nearly 3months pregnant, my partners wages (altho he works fulltime) is not going to be enough for us 2, our child, and the CSA he pays his ex.

They refused my claim at first as they tried to put me on Contributions based instead of income based, but if your living with your partner and he works you will prob not be entitled to that either. It's ridicolous!

They refused my claim at first as they tried to put me on Contributions based instead of income based, but if your living with your partner and he works you will prob not be entitled to that either. It's ridicolous!

Yeah I was living with my partner and paying £425 rent a month, we was surving on less then £700 to pay pretty much everything and live (would have been £900 but £200 goes to his ex every month) luckily my dad helped out when ever we started struggling for money.
They wouldn't help with Council tax or anything tho that really annoyed us, yet they still expected me to go to the JC to sign on.

I know they will ask for your MAT B1 form to confirm your pregnancy. You will need to send it off with the application form when the time comes to claim.

hi, im a lone parent, i was made unemployed once they found out i was pregnant. iv been getting jobseekers allowance and now im nearly 29 weeks i have been told i need to go on to income support by one person and another told me maternity allowance as i have worked over 26 of the 66. once the maternity allowence stops after 39 weeks is there any thing you can claim? can i then go on to income support? as i dont want to put my baby in nursery til he/she is 1 years old. id be grateful if any one can help me im so confused with it all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"