Help! Illness has dried up my milk!

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by xGemx, Dec 21, 2009.

1. xGemx

xGemx Mum of Two x

Hi ladies, I'm writing here to ask for some advice.

Yesterday I was really poorly with the winter norovirus, and was being sick and had diarrhoea (sorry tmi) all day. I managed to keep feeding fine yesterday despite being so sick, but today my milk supply has all but dried up. I guess it is because I was so dehydrated yesterday. Poor william keeps sucking but is getting really frustrated because there is nothing there. He wont take a bottle with some formula, I've just tried. Now I'm getting a bit desperate. What can I do??!

2. diz

diz Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you wee so ill. Don't know what to suggest but didn't want to read and run.

Will he drink formula from a pipet/syringe or spoon..?

To rehydrate you quickly something like diarolyte (or even coke) and keep putting him on the breast and i'm sure your milk will come back in soon.

good luck x

3. MelanieF

MelanieF Guest

Dear Gem
    Sorry to hear you've been so very ill! It sounds ghastly! The good thing is that your milk will have specific antibodies to the novovirus in it, and your DS will be protected through the milk you give him; and if he does get sick despite the huge antibody load your milk carries, the sickness will be less severe and shorter than if he'd not had the benefits of your milk.
    I'm sure that the milk will come back and probably quite quickly. Feeding through illness is quite an accomplishment - well done! Seriously! - and your milk supply will return really quickly. You could try a bowl of porridge (which is a galactagogue - ie, it increases milk production) if you can face it.

Mel

4. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

Get lots of fluids and lots of protien, that should help.

Good luck, hon! I hope LO gets some milk and is satisfied soon! That must be really hard. :(

5. xGemx

xGemx Mum of Two x

Unfortunately LO was in hospital Saturday with the norovirus, he passed it to me :( very sad as he was SO poorly. What didnt help was also that my breasts became engorged when he wasn't feeding too, so that hasn't helped the whole situation, sat he wasn't feeding and sun I was ill, then mon my milk dried up and it's still bad today.

Not sure what to do about it. My OH reakons boob massage may help but I'm not convinced.

6. Wombat

Wombat Married mum of 2:)

Have you tried Fenugreek? It is a herb which is supposed to increase milk supply.

Also drink A LOT of water! No less then 8 glasses a day.

And the most importaint thing is keep feeding your lo all the time like in the beginning. To stop him being frusraited try to gently squeeze your boob just above the areola (thats where the milk ducts are) while your LO is breastfeeding. Basically in that way you will be sort of expressing in his mouth.

:hugs:

7. ClaraCluck

ClaraCluck Mummy

LO and me had diaoreeah and sickness bug when he was about 10 weeks old. My supply dropped because I was ill and because he was feeding little and often. It took a while, probably a week, but by feeding on demand my supply got back to normal and all was good!

8. pennysbored

pennysbored Well-Known Member

Lots of water. And you are most likely in for some cluster feeding in the next few days. :hugs: