Help! Is this silent reflux?

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
My LO is 5 weeks today. He is very unsettled for long periods of the day and night and I'm struggling to know why or what to do to help.

Someone suggested possible silent reflux - he stiffens and thrashes around when feeding, spits up lots, hiccups 3/4 times a day, cries if he's laid down flat (even if hes been sat upright for a little while after his feed), chomps his hand or wants to feed every 1.5-2 hours, is a terrible sleeper during the day (45 mins at a time max) and makes straining noises all night long like he's terribly uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any experience with silent reflux? Does it sound like this is it? How did you deal with it?

DH and I are all beyond exhausted and just want to do something to help LO :cry:

Sounds exactly like my lo who has silent reflux. Although my lo doesnt usually vomit. You can hear my lo gulping alot when he brings up the acid and then swollows it again and he gets alot of congestion as it comes up to his nose too. It could be reflux if he vomits alot. You could try elevating the Moses basket at the head end with a couple of books or put a rolled up towel under head end of the mattress to see if it helps. Feed lo propped upright and keep upright for 20-30 mins after feeds. If you visit the Drs they may prescribe gaviscon if they think it is silent reflux. X

Sounds like silent reflux to me! My girl was exactly the same until I finally got my GP to listen when she was 7 weeks and she was prescribed ranitidine. (Before this they were fobbing me off with colic). We tried gaviscon and it made her constipated and didn't help the reflux. Hugs hun I know how helpless you feel when they are crying in pain, it really does get better with medication and also as they get older. :hugs: feel free to on me if you want xx

Thanks ladies, I bloody knew it wasn't right - HV said 'its normal, babies get colicy/spit up'.

Did you try anti reflux formula (if you are ff)? Xx

sounds a bit like my girl. she doesnt spit up a lot but all of the others sound similar. Does he cry as soon as you put him down or does he wake himself up crying? can he sleep laying down at all. my lg seems to be able to sleep ok in her cot at night its just during the day in her moses basket?

Sounds like reflux. What makes "silent" reflux silent is that they rarely or never spit up. If they're spitting up, it is regular reflux. All of the symptoms you listed point to reflux. Many babies that have reflux are intolerant to cow's milk and/or soy proteins. I had to stop eating all dairy and soy since I am breastfeeding. Since you are formula feeding you may need a special formula.

Thanks ladies, I bloody knew it wasn't right - HV said 'its normal, babies get colicy/spit up'.

Did you try anti reflux formula (if you are ff)? Xx

After 2 weeks of trying gaviscon with normal formula the constipation became horrendous for my lo so we switched to anti reflux milk which seems much better. Still gets slightly constipated sometimes but no where near as bad. We have had to start lo on ranitidine as well though as symptoms did not improve enough on the new milk.

Sounds like reflux. My dd has a mild case and we give her zantac that dr prescribed. For us the biggest clue was fighting her feeds and gagging alot. She sleeps fine though but I knew something wasn't right. Go have it checked ASAP with the right meds baby will be much better xx

Dr confirmed its reflux and has prescribed gaviscon. He seems much better even after a few doses x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->