Help me declutter

catty

Reaction score
Help! I'm a clutteraholic!

Where do I start? How do you maintain it once uv got rid of it.
I'm so sick of the clutter

I *LOVE* decluttering, I go nutty on it!

You just have to be fierce! I personally love getting a small skip and go through rooms one by one.

Last time I moved I boxed up some stuff for a car boot sale as the girls want to do one and a garden sale :lol:

I also love decluttering. For the first big declutter call in all the help you can and set up an eBay account as the strangest things will sell. After that get yourself a schedule going and rules such as folding washing as soon as it comes from the dryer or changing to online bank statements. To maintain, pick a room once a week to declutter

I’m decluttering right now! We are doing item by item, like this:
Clothes
Shoes
Bags
Entertainment items (books, cds and DVDs)
Toys
Toiletries and cleaning products
Makeup
Kitchen appliances
Sentimental pieces

We started on clothes. Take anything obviously out of season from your wardrobe and put it in those vacuum bags. Then, turn all the hangers round. Go back in 6 weeks, anything that still has a hanger the wrong way gets ditched (except occasional wear items like wedding outfits)
Then, go through your occasionally worn items. Only keep what you will definitely wear again. Get rid of anything that doesn’t fit or doesn’t make you feel good.

For clothes, we take things to one of those cash for clothes places. Anything which is good quality or expensive gets sold (I do this with my going out dresses)

Get rid of all DVDs and get Netflix. Music magpie take old DVDs. Back up all cds onto the computer and get rid of them too. Donate books to a charity shop.

Then do toys. For this, I divided her toys into categories (music toys, art supplies, construction toys, imaginative play, and so on) and then chucked anything that was broken - those went to cash for clothes too. Then, if she had duplicates or similar items,she chose her favourite. The other one was set aside. I then found a specific place for each item, not just a generic “toy box” as I find things don’t get played with that way.

She ended up with a huge bundle which I sold and gave her the money in her piggy bank.

For craft supplies, I put everything in one of those plastic 3 drawer chest things inside her wardrobe. She has a little craft table with pots on it, each pot has a few pencils or crayons - one of each colour - so she can still use them properly but there isn’t a sea of crayons. She gets one colouring book and one drawing pad at a time. Other craft things like tissue paper, glue, glitter and all the messy things stay in their drawers until they are needed, then I get them out! I’m going to stop buying so much stuff.

I got rid of everything we didn’t need in our kitchen. Things like the baby blender, our food processor, spiraliser, toastie machine all got sold. I even ditched the microwave because it wasn’t working properly.

For kitchen clutter, I meal plan around what we actually have in the house and only buy what we really need. We had ridiculous amounts of things in the cupboard which would never get used.

I’m putting all photos, cards etc in scrapbooks and using he space made from ditching DVDs and cds to store them.

Oh wow thanks just seen this!!!!
Such a good idea about the hangers!
I need to maybe take a room at a time as if say EVERYTHING needs decluttered.
Do you sell on Facebook pages?
I think I'll sell some baby toys but I always think oh what if in looking after someone's child or become a babysitter or grandkids hahaha. Really I think I could buy again if that happened!
This week is going to be the start for me. Will keep you updated!

I need to do this too catty. Everything has stuff stuffed into it or on top of it. Even my pants and sock drawer is ridiculous so that's where I started. Next I am going to do under my bed and my bedroom in general. The kids toys are a headache..... A complete headache and I am not sure I am ready to go through it all.

After trying to make Evie clean her room yesterday for hours I decided not to even bother as she didn't seem to really care about most of the toys. Today whilst she was away I did a big declutter I got rid of alot and when she can home she was actually happy!
I also have bagged up alot of old clothes and will take them to the cash for clothes shop. It's a really small amount but better than nothing and least I can get rid of it without much effort

Puts a couple of ££ in the kids money box for summer holidays :D

I feel like I am always decluttering. I like everything to have its place so I love storage boxes etc

I do a room at a time, anything we don't use or need goes to charity or a Facebook freebie group. Rubbish goes to the dump.

On my list this week is my bedroom so all my clothes, under the bed, bedroom cupboard etc.

The best way to stay one step ahead of clutter is to have small cleaning and organising sessions every two-three months. I also make sure that every room has a storage box where all out-of-place items go instead of putting them where they don't belong. This saves a lot of time and I'm not worried about inviting unexpected company. :)

check out 'the organised mum method' - there's a facebook group and a blog and it's amazing! I've never felt so on top of housework and I love the FB group :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->