Help me! I'm clueless about baby clothes...

Szaffi

Reaction score
I am going through boxes of baby clothes that I got from family, trying to take out the ones that'll be useful and can take home in a suitcase now on a plane. My mum will bring the rest by car, but she might not be able to come before the baby is 2-3 moths old or so. So, I am somewhat lost what to choose...

I heard small sizes are not good for long - does this mean the 0-1 months (50) or the 0-3 moths (56 cm)? When would the baby start to wear the 3-6 mths stuff (62-68 cm)? (We think that baby will prob. be on the long side, I was born with 52 cm, hubby with 54).

Also, there seem to be two different types of bodysuits, ones with legs, and ones without. How do you use the ones without in the winter? Do you put them under sweatshirts and pants? Which one is more practical / useful? There is heaps of both...

Should I choose the ones with clip button or traditional button? :shrug:

Starting to get dizzy from the endless piles of pink...:wacko:

I think size wise the newborn size will last you the least amount of time but it all depends on the size of ure baby. 0-3 should last u roughly till the baby is 3months old but again depend how quick they grow etc...(sorry dont think this info is actually answering ure question :haha:)

As for the sleepsuits without feet (rompers) I would use these mainly in the house with socks. If I was taking them out in the winter with this kind of outfir then I would use a snow suit as well. I also think u will find it easier using poppers (clip buttons) rather than normal buttons as Id imagine they could be quite fiddly with a newborn xoxo

Vests are the ones which fasten right underneath the nappy/bum, Rompers are the ones that are an all in one but stop just before the knees think kinda like shorts & a tshirt, & then full all in ones or sleepsuits as we call them, Are the ones with full legs & feet in.

A vest is worn all the time under everything, Romper in the house or a warm ish day , Sleepsuits are worn for bed but also when baby is 1st born as an all day outfit so you are not faffing a newborn in pants & top, They are much easier & less hassle/upset for baby.

Every baby is diff hun so nobody can fully say how long they will last, Best advice would be to take 0-3 with you, better being to big for a newborn than to small. 0-3 fit my son til he was about 5mth old & he wasnt tiny. He was born 7lb 4 & longer than average (cant remember how long), he isn't skinny either he is just right & his clothes have always lasted well. So if its going to be a while before you get the rest take as much 0-3 & some 3-6 if you can .

I have enough 0-3 month clothes to last about 7 days. I dont plan on buying any more either. I like the onsies that snap at the butt area. If you are concerned about it being cold you can always put a little pair of pants on so their legs dont get cold.

With my son I didnt have any 0-3 month clothes as I didnt think I would use them. He was born and weighed 10lbs and was 22 inches long. I regretted not having the smaller clothes for the first month or so. He swam in the 3-6 month clothes for about 6 weeks.

I'd say most clothes I have are 0-3, I have maybe 5 newborn sets as all babies seem to of been on the small side in my family.

I have lots of vests in all sizes so I dont have to faff with lots of washes, i'll be able to do a big load all at once with them.

If there is newborn stuff take that with you otherwise you won't end up using it, as baby will grow too fast.

I do have outfits for baby as well as sleepsuits and rompers as I think they are nice for days out. My mum dressed all her children in outfits for days out and she had no problems.

Size wise, go for a selction of the newborn stuff (0-1 month), your little one will still wear it for a few weeks. I'd say about 14 full bodysuits and 14 vests. Do the same for the 0-3 months stuff. If you're expecting a winter baby they will spend most of their time in the full bodysuits, the ones without feet (romper suits) are better in hte warmer weather - but also useful if your baby is long. You use them just like body suits but with a pair of socks.
Depending on the size of your baby the 3-6 months clothes wil fit him around the time he is 3 months old. Alex started wearing his when he was 4 months old, but he is a bit smaller than average. So if you want to take some clothes now and get oyur Mum to bring hte rest, i would go for a good selection of 0-1 month and 0-3month stuff, go for popper buttons over normal ones as they're much easier.

Thanks for the thread this has really helped me too - I was told I was having a teeny baby but suddenly had a growth spurt and measuring large now I am overdue so I dont have much clothes to fit past 7lbs :( eeeek!

take a few of each size!

i a to get blake a load of early baby as all his newborn and 0-3 were too big. you cant really tell until baby gets here.

Id take some of all sizes as you never know how big or small your babys going to be

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->