Help me to understand U/S

katelynen810

Reaction score
It is with a heavy heart I write this as hard as I am trying to stay positive I feel like I am drowning in tears.

After trying for 18 years to get pregnant to my complete surprise I found out I was pregnant last Thursday, one week ago. This has been a nearly two-decade struggle. I have lived through losing a child, losing my husband to cancer and finding love again and then a miraculous pregnancy. I was told that I had unexplained fertility and my chance of conceiving was basically less than 3%. I hadn't used birth control in the past 3 years with my SO and we were so shocked to get 3 immediate, as in seconds, positive home pregnancy tests. My SO had actually had a dream the week before, I didn't know this until after the pregnancy had been confirmed, that he was standing at the gates of Heaven begging God to make me pregnant. Funny how real life can mimic your dreams.

So yesterday I went to the Veterans Affairs hospital to get blood drawn and the doctor said they could do an ultrasound to check fetal age. My LMO was Sept 4th I believe but have no idea my ovulation cycle, I've never tracked it and had really given up on pregnancy because of the chances being so low. Anyways, it was the VA so take that for what it is worth. Anyways, she was pretty rushed and did a vaginal ultrasound and said well definitely pregnant, there is the gestational sac and yolk sac, no fetal pole yet but she said, and these were here words, they hurt so bad "well the edges of your gestational sac look rough, not smooth like I like to see just come back in two weeks. Did you want to have an abortion or is your intention to keep the baby" I am died. How could you even say such a thing. I had told her when she first came in how shocked and happy an overwhelmed I was that I was pregnant after 18 years (I am 41). I couldn't believe the abortion comment, it was a stab in the heart. I asked her if maybe I just ovulated late, I thought I should be about 6 weeks pregnant and she said no probably 4+ weeks I'm confused, what does this mean that I will miscarry? I'm a wreck. Everything I've read says you wouldn't even see yolk until 5-5 1/2 weeks. I didn't get any pictures she rushed through it so quick and told me to come back in 2 weeks. I read on another post that jagged edges on a gestational sac mean fetal abnormalities and miscarriage. I'm a mess. I don't know how to make it through 2 weeks. I did make an appt at Loma Linda University Medical Center using my private insurance but don't see them until Nov 28th. I can't find anything online with someone with experience, lots of comments about irregal shaped gestational sacs but not what she said to me. She did ask me if I needed prenatal vitamin prescriptions and said no I had already bought them. Should I prepare myself for the worst? I have pregnancy symptoms, very sore boobs, very tired, changes to appetite, etc. I have prayed constantly since yesterday. I feel like my heart is already breaking. To top it off I was raped at 18 and gave my son up for adoption so maybe this is punishment for that. I do have a son who is 18, a freshman in college so I have had 2 successful pregnancies in the past. Any thoughts or advice on how to get through this?

Thank you for reading my long post, I don't know how to make it any shorter.

Katie
k

I didn't want to read and run I am unsure about the sac just wanted to send my love and will keep everything crossed for you! Don't for a second think this is punishment for giving your son up for adoption I am sure that was what was best for him and I'm sure it broke your heart. :hugs: I hope your scan comes round quickly!

I don't know anything about sac edges but what I DO know from being here for DD and this LO is that I've lost count of the women who were measuring a week or two behind, naturally were full of anxiety and then at the scan 2 weeks later bean was measuring right on! I've got everything crossed for you though :hugs:

I don't know much about how the edges of the sac should be, but I know that people don't usually see a sac and yolk until after 5 weeks, so I'd say it's entirely possible that you ovulated a little late. Also, early scans can be notoriously 'out' a bit for many women and baby catches up later on.
Good luck with your next scan and massive hugs xxxxxxx :hugs:

Hey there! I don't know anything about what sacs should look like, but I do know that I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks this time and there was no fetal pole or yolk sac. Two weeks later, I'm still pregnant. Things can be off so easily at this point. I'll be praying for you!! I believe in miracles!!

My sister just went through this. Thought she was 6 weeks, saw nothing on the ultrasound. Went back 2 weeks later (yesterday actually) and there was her little bean with heart beating away! Try not to stress and just go back in a few weeks.

And you are not being punished for putting your baby up for adoption!! You did a beautiful and brave thing. Hugs!!!

Im in the same situation and you ladies give me hope! I went in for an ultrasound due to brown discharge and i didnt Have anything..no sac..no fetal pole just my plain uterus.. im 6 weeks but i know i ovulated late so i know i may be a little earlier.

Putting a baby for adoption is not bad at all, its actually good cause you know they will be going to a good home where maybe at that time you were having a hard time but that is not punishment...punishment to me is the ppl who literally throw the babies away how cruel can they be :cry:

I am joining you in limbo! I had a scan last week (should have been 6 weeks). No baby, no fetal pole, just empty sac. I have to return next week - just praying everything is OK. I've had 6 miscarriages and couldn't bear another

Okay, I wouldn't place any weight on what she says if she insists you're only a little over 4 weeks pregnant. Your wouldn't see *anything* at that stage. What you saw (excepting the "irregular edges", which I'm not familiar with) is EXACTLY what you should be seeing around 6 weeks.

I went for a scan at 5w6d. All we saw via vaginal ultrasound was completely empty gestational sac. No yolk, no fetal pole and no heartbeat. My dates were spot on. The sac was measuring exactly right for dates... it was just empty. Now I'm 35 weeks pregnant with a healthy little girl.

Please don't give up hope yet. I really don't think that your ultrasound tech knows what she's talking about. Just try to relax and think positive thoughts before your next scan. Good luck. :hugs:

I agree with the above ladies, and how she handled it was unprofessional

I sorry your going through this. I have been in this position 3 times. I have to be perfectly honest that if the sac truly is a irregular shape, then it usually does mean some kind of abnormality and more often than not it does mean the pregnancy will end. But I'm very very shocked that they would say this so early on when the sac is so small?? In two of my losses I had a odd shaped sac with jagged edges and yes I did go on to lose those children but the third time it happened to me was with my dd and she is now 13 months old. It was simply the angle of the scan that made the gestational sack look odd. By the next scan it was completely normal. Are the monitoring your levels? If it's truly a failing pregnancy you would expect levels to not double within the 48-72 hour time frame. Mine were taking over 100 hours to almost double. I really am keeping everything crossed for you. Try not to think of the worst just yet. Your very early and scans aren't that accurate that early on. I can't believe they would scare you like that after one scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"