Help needed please... "old blood"

bclaytonsc

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

AF is due anytime and the past few days all I've had is horrible cramping and spotting. The spotting I'm having isn't bright red blood, or even pink, it's brown. I know this typically means its "old blood," but I'm a bit concerned as to why I'm not really bleeding, and if this means I've started a new cycle or not.

What would you ladies consider CD1? I don't usually have spotting before AF starts so I'm not used to this and it has me a bit confused.

Hi B!

CD1 should be when you see bright red blood is what I've been told from my RE. They don't count spotting as CD1. If it continues in to the next couple of cycles, you might want to check with your doctor. :) Best of luck!

When did it start if it has been at least 2 days since it started I would take an HPT and see if you are pregnant. Could be implantation bleeding but if not hopefully full flow will start for you soon.

I took a test several days ago and BFN. This afternoon I've started bleeding some red blood but its mixed with brown... I believe I may consider today CD1?

Thank you ladies for the responses! I will take another test if this continues past today, but I'm 99% sure I'm not pregnant.

Yes, I would say if it's bright red blood you could count this as CD1. So sorry! FXed for next month!!

If it happens again, mention it to your doctor. I told my doctor about this spotting and she immediately recognized it as being low in progesterone. She prescribed progesterone pills, but you can also get creams which supposedly have less side effects. When I looked up other symptoms of being low in progesterone, I had a lot of faith that she was right!

It would be a good thing to investigate if you aren't pregnant this cycle and try again. Low progesterone may make it more difficult for the pregnancy to take. There is a possibility that supplementing your progesterone can help, and since side effects are generally mild, most doctors think its worth a try. I always had a feeling that my hormones might be wacky, so I went to an ob/gyn after my first cycle of TTC. I wanted to be proactive!

Either way, I hope it is implantation bleeding and a sign of pregnancy!

Thank you ladies! I did count the day I started bleeding bright red as CD1, and I know that was correct as I had a full 5 days of bleeding like I typically would. Now CD6 and all done with AF for this cycle thankfully!

pink, that is very interesting about the low progesterone. If this happens again I'm definitely going to bring it up to my ob/gyn.

I also have always had longer cycles.. usually 36 days though it will vary by a day or two sometimes. Is that a sign that something could be amiss as well?

I also have always had longer cycles.. usually 36 days though it will vary by a day or two sometimes. Is that a sign that something could be amiss as well?

A sign of low progesterone can be irregular cycles, but mine have always been exactly 28 days (not counting the spotting as part of AF). It can make your periods worse though. Mine always come with a super migraine and bad, bad cramps.

I hadn't read anything about longer cycles, but I was typing this, I read that longer cycles might be a symptom.

This crosses into the realm of TMI by far, but another sign for me that something was up was that the color of my period blood became darker and more maroon color. Overall, I'm not sure what caused this imbalance. I was overweight and I didn't have this issue. Now I've been a healthy bmi for about 3 years and it's developed over the past 1.5-2 years. :shrug: Regardless, I'm happy I know about it, so that I can take steps to correct it.

There is no TMI on BnB :haha:

Thank you for the great info! I will see how this cycle plays out and go from there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->