Help.. Night terrors??

kirst1805

Mum of Gemma Rose
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and can tell me if i'm right in thinking night terrors or not.. :wacko:

Gemma has never been one of the best sleepers, Normally wakes up a few times at night but seems to settle properly when I go to bed, then wakes up again early morning and won't settle in her bed again so i bring her in with me.

Anywho, Last week or so, she won't go to sleep until about 9, used to be about half 7.. and then seems to wake up every half hour or so, screaming her head off, in tears and everything, but nothing I do calms her down, if I go to pick her up or give her a hug she pushes me away and seems to look straight through me, :cry:

After a while she seems to settle, clings to me for a few mins then falls asleep again.. but then it all happens again, Happened 3/4 times last night and it really freaks me out. :cry:

xx

Harvey has them too....they stopped after a while..the HV seems to think they are due to him being in hospital...although Gemma might seem like she is awake,eyes open etc,she isn't-she won't remember the next morning.
The HV said to take Harvey from the situation,so we take him into the living room and he 'falls asleep' again.xx

the last few nights Wyn has been waking up between 5-6am screaming the house down, nothing I do can console her and she doesn't want to be held and pushes both me and her dad away.

We tried giving her a bottle of milk and she drinks it down and then screams for more. After a 2nd bottle she suddenly calms down.

I'm wondering if this is night terrors and it takes the 2nd bottle for her to 'wake' out of it. I thought she may just be really hungry but it doesn't seem rigt for her to scream like that for milk. It's really quiet scary for me to see her so upset and screaming so I completely understand how you feel.

I'll try taking her out of the room tonight and see if I can calm or wake her carefully. Not sure what to do - other than have milk ready for when she wakes maybe?

my dd has them they occur mainy when gettin sick or being sick, teething and mainly being put to bed to late or missin a nap hers a quite bad she shouts and screams and wonders around she ushally tells things to go away or noooo stop its rather disturbing u are not supposed to wake them just calm them down like put lo back to bed pat them to sleep or a dummy or bottle if they will take it the first time it happened she was 5 months old and screamin like she was terrified but not at all awake its not easy to see

Conner went through a brief stage where I was convinced that he was having night terrors as well. He began sleeping through the night at 7 weeks, but around 6 months or so, he began waking up in the middle of the night and even cuddling him would not soothe him. I took him to the pedi and he said he suspected night terrors.

Unforuntalty, there is nothing you can do to prevent them or to ease them. My pedi said they can last a few days, a few months and can even last years! Luckily for me, they passed within a few days.

The best advice I have is to comfort your l/o. It's hard to stay calm when you feel tired and helpless, but thats all you can do. Stay calm and attempt to comfort them. I also know a lot of people are opposed to CIO (crying it out), but I found it helpful when nothing else worked. Also, if at all possible, try to steer away from night feedings. The pedi highly recommended that you not reintroduce night feedings for the meer reason that they are habit forming. If and when the night terrors pass, the l/o will still awaken for what they believe to be a routine feeding.

I know this is a hard time, but it will pass. Hope this helped..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->