Help please! Think LO is constipated

Kiddo

Reaction score
Harvey is not a happy boy. He's been crying lots during the night and this morning and he's obviously uncomfortable. He last pooped at around noon yesterday, normally he goes more often than that. He's been doing noisy farts since yesterday afternoon.

All he's had is breast milk with one bottle of ebm on Sunday evening.

What can I do to move things along for him? It's heartbreaking listening to him cry and grumble so much!

You could try giving some water but BF babies don't normally need it. You could also try 'bicycling' his legs when he's lying on his back, that apparently gets things moving!

my little boy (4 weeks) onlygoes every 4 days or so! been to hospital a couple of weeks ago as he didnt go for 6 days. they told us to massage around his bottom not partic nice job but seems to work by day 3 he is usually very uncomfortable but midwife said it can be normal for breast fed babies to go for a few days between poos

If he's exclusively bf then try not to worry as it is common for bf babies to go a few days between poos,my little girl started pooing weekly from about 4 weeks onwards and has only just become more regular at 7 months after introduction of solids. If you are concerned though the cycling thing and gently rubbing tummy in a clockwise motion can help. Are there still plenty of wet nappies? If so i don't think water is the answer. If you're still worried speak to your hv xx

Thanks folks.

I tried the cycling and the tummy massage but no luck. Our baby clinic is on Tues and Thurs so I took him up today and the hv says it's nothing to worry about too. He's had loads of wet nappies and seems to be feeding normally so I'm a bit less worried now.

Findlay has 2.5ml of lactulose twice a day as he is prone to constipation (which then makes his reflux worse) despite only having EBM :thumbup:

Hi, hope things have improved for you today, Freya got bad constipation, 'it' was rock solid (sorry if TMI!!!) and she would scream when trying to pass it, she would push and push and push and get so worn out and give up which just made it worse so the HV suggested giving diluted orange juice or prune juice which worked for us.

Maia does the lactulose thing too - she was having poos that were as hard as clay and tough to pass. We changed her formula though - seems to have helped - she now poos daily!

:)
A

I had this with Poppy. I went to the baby clinic twice and docs, and each time was told not to worry. if they're being breast fed then it's unlikely to be constipation. And sure enough, TEN DAYS later she poo'd! A massive explosion!!!! She then poo'd only once week for a few months (having gone from pooing every day before).

Now she's weaning she's back to daily poo's.

Thanks everyone!

Harvey pooped 4 times yesterday so has more than made up for not doing one the day before. He seems to be back to normal and much less grizzly since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->