help please!

MrsBop

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
i posted a week ago about my feeding problems and need some advice again please.

my baby is now 11 days old and we're still struggling with feeding and to be honest she's been having more formula than boob because feeding time was becoming a battle. i bought a medela swing pump on thursday to express and hopefully prolong my milk supply, i pump once a day.

today i decided if i wanted to establish breastfeeding i had to try harder so i decided to refuse formula no matter how hard she screamed. 3 hours, a power nap and nipple shield later she had latched on (minus nipple shield by this point) like a pro, she fed for 5-10 minutes, then pulled off and started screaming, she had been getting milk as it was round her mouth and my nipple. another battle for 20 minutes with her screaming and the cycle repeated itself :dohh:

after 4 hours of trying and 7 hours since her last bottle i gave in :blush: and gave her a bottle, she gulped down all 3oz and went to sleep.

3 hours later its feeding time again, this time she latched on quicker after a little scream and fed for around 20 minutes to start with before pulling off and screaming, i squeezed my nipple and milk came out so boob wasn't empty, she did keep going back on and sucking like mad but after 2 hours she still wolfed down 3oz - she refused to latch after the 2 hours on either side :(

why does she pull off when the milks flowing? why isn't my milk doing anything for her?

i really need some tips please, i want to exclusively breastfeed more than anything but i hate listening to her scream through hunger :cry:

It sounds like you're doing really well. She won't want to work for the milk so she'll prefer the bottle. I would say to keep doing what you're doing tbh - limit the number of top ups, get loads of skin to skin, put her to the breast as often as you can. Hang in there, you can do it.

Have a wee look here https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

I'm in exactly the same boat. I have been giving charlie a feed off me...both boobs and then a top up bottle because he is still screaming at the end of his feed but he refuses to settle whilst feeding off me. I thought perhaps i wasn't giving him enough but enough people on here have said that isn't true. I am just carrying on with what we are doing at the moment...if i have to stick to the top ups then so be it, but i do hope that my milk will "kick in" very soon and i will be able to exclusively bf.
:hugs:

It's not your milk hun, your milk is doing wonders for her and by the sounds of it you've got plenty, its just that she has to work for it and like Marley2580 says its easier for her to get it from the bottle.
Keep at it, I know that easier said than done with a screaming baby.
Try and stay away from the bottle, if your really worried that she's not feeding enough then you can feed from a feeding cup but your midwife or hv will be able to give you one if they are worried about her.
:hugs:

Its a vicious cycle I'm afraid - every time you top up you are a step away from exclusive BFing :(

The only way to get to 100 % boob is to stop the top ups. It's a killer but if you dont you will always need them. Plus your baby will know if they wait long enough then they get an easy feed.

I know it's hard to listen to them cry....I cried with her and wanted to make it stop but after a few horrible days of nothing but off and on and crying, we got there. It depends how much you want it. If you are happy topping up the just keep going but be aware it may also result in an all out nursing strike - they are clever little things these babies!

What ever you decide all that really matters is that it works for you. :hugs: Well done for getting this far x

I'm really glad to have these posts to read in preparation.
I am worried about the struggle, and how dear hubby will feel/react to an upset baby who's quickly appeased by a bottle.
But I do hear the sense in sticking at it.

My reason for posting is noticing you saying the bottle is easier, which makes sense... I just wondered if you had any thoughts on the breastflow bottles, and if they were better at overcoming this 'easy feed' trickery from bubs ;)

Bottles will always be easier, no matter what brand it is, because the milk comes instantly whereas baby has to get a letdown before getting any milk.

Even the ones that claim to be breast like or whatever the gimic, are easier for them - period. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"