help with baby constipation

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by louisechippy, Jan 31, 2011.

1. louisechippy

louisechippy Well-Known Member

OK so heres th story my little on was born 4 weeks ago today she started off on 3 1/2 hourly feeds ( or there abouts ) she was having 3 flonzs.... then at about 10 days old she started draining her bottles every feed so we moved her up to 4fl ons to which she was still going the same amount of time between feeds.
    So then about 3 days after this she started draining her bottles again and was only going 2 1/2 hours between feeds so i switched her milk to hungry baby milk so she ahs been on 3fl onzs of hungry baby milk then since last wednesday she has been on 4 fl onzs and is now going the recommended 4 hours between feeds sometime 5 hours ( if im lucky ) now the last cpl of days she has been very very constipated to whihc she is only going for a poo once a day and i think that is only coz im making her ( using the rubbing of the belly and cotton bud and vaseline trick ) and i was speaking to my mum today and said to her that that surley if it was the milk that was an issue it would have shown before now i mean shes gone through nearly two boxes of hungry baby milk. SO i suppose my question is do you agree that if there was an issue with the milk then it would have shown itself before now,, meaning that she is constipated for another reason or do you think it could be the milk.

BTW she is on cow and gate hungry baby x
    many thanks for all answers in advance x x

2. blahblahblah

blahblahblah Well-Known Member

Hungry baby formula can cause constipation, and the chances are this is what's causing it for your LO.

TBH, it doesn't sound like your LO needs HB formula yet. The general rule to work to is - if LO drains 2 bottles, make the next one 1oz bigger. When you get to 8-9oz bottles, if LO is then going much less than 4 hours, that would be the time to think about switching. You're much better off offering larger bottles of stage 1 formula than switching to HB at such a young age.

So, my suggestion would be to switch back to stage 1 formula and let her have as much as she wants (this may mean having some waste). Until the constipation eases, I would also suggest offering 1-2oz of cool boiled water each day, as that will help 'get things moving'.

3. FirstBean

FirstBean Mummy to Ollie & pregnant

I had trouble with Ollie and constipation. We had him on Cow and Gate stage one and he was draining alot of milk and wanting feeding every couple of hours so changed him onto Cow and Gate hungry milk and we got through one box and he was fine then half way through his second carton he got really constipated that much to where his bum was bleeding so spoke to a friend who the same thing happened to with her little boy so changed him back to stage one and it all went back to normal with his poos so i think maybe that is the problem. I would rather him of been feeding every couple of hours than be in pain, i am now weaning him so he is feeding every fours hrs

4. louisechippy

louisechippy Well-Known Member

YEAH exactualy the same one box fine 1/2 way through second box and bam its there ....... went to the drs today after ringing the health vistor and he said to put her back down to first stage milk and we have done this and so far touch wood she has gone like clock work every feed x :happydance:

5. bigbetty

bigbetty Mammam to a princess

Our LO seems to be a bit bunged up, started on Sunday at 2 days old. She is on sma gold. She had done a nice soft poo earlier in the day and then that evening was very gripey and crying, pulling her legs up to her tummy. She finally did a very small poo which DH said was like sandy pebbles and very dry.

We started giving her a bit of cooled boiled water just before a feed because we thought she might be a bit dehydrated. It has taken a couple of days but it seems to have worked a treat because each poo has been a bit softer and this morning there was a nice full nappy.