Help with Bassinet...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Tink1o5, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Mom of 3

2. PineappleHead

PineappleHead Mommy of two

I would just get those things that are like blanket sleeper suits. I learned in birthing class that you dont want a lot in the bassinet or crib with the baby to reduce SIDS.

3. PineappleHead

4. DueMarch2nd

DueMarch2nd mummy to a little lamb

Yeah hun you should NOT use blankets unless swaddling. Any type of little blanket will do for swaddling, also those that pineapple head are acceptable, I have some but I have heard from womens experience some babies like swaddling better because it is cozier and makes them feel safe. They also sell things especially for swaddling, they velcro.

You shouldnt use blankets or pillows till the baby is much older and can move if trapped

5. loopy_lou

loopy_lou Well-Known Member

are you going with a bassinet rather than a moses basket thats what i have been thinking about?

6. MandaAnda

MandaAnda Well-Known Member

I wish I could go with a bassinet instead of a Moses basket, but bassinets pretty much don't exist in the UK. And, being from the Deep South, I'd love a decked out bassinet!

I have a Moses basket on a stand though (and I'm getting my mother to send a bassinet cover from the US that we think will fit), and I have a bedside cot. In both, I'm going to swaddle my baby. You just need normal, thinnish, stretchy enough blankets (not bulky, fleecy ones). I personally think the blankets specifically made for swaddling are an (expensive) gimmick - it's not hard to learn to swaddle properly. We swaddle most of the babies at work that are in cots, and most of them just love it.

7. rewizz

rewizz Well-Known Member

i have a baby hammock from amby get them on ebay easy peasy ... the head office or cutomer care line are fab and she advised me a celluer blanket is fine not to over load with layers and not grow bags as bub can over heat alway keep thier arms free... ... check out my thread soooooo not finished yet ....,,

8. rewizz

rewizz Well-Known Member

i have a baby hammock from amby get them on ebay easy peasy ... the head office or cutomer care line are fab and she advised me a celluer blanket is fine not to over load with layers and not grow bags as bub can over heat alway keep thier arms free... ... check out my thread soooooo not finished yet ....,,
    i live in the midlands .....

9. MandaAnda

Yeah, cellular blankets are good for swaddling. However, some babies like their arms swaddled in as well (keeps them from scratching their face, too), and some babies prefer them out (and you'll find if the baby is one that prefers their arms out, they'll get them out no matter what you do!). If you just have one of those blankets on, they won't get overheated whether their arms are in or out.

10. loopy_lou

loopy_lou Well-Known Member

a baby hammock looks ace !!

11. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Mom of 3

Im going to deffinatly use a bassinet for the first few months because my room is too small for a crib next to the bed or anything. Thinking of buying it this weekend :)

Thanks for all the imput ladies

12. PineappleHead

DH and I plan on doing the same thing. :)

13. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

i have celular blankets and brushed cotton sheets and i'll probably swaddle baby in a sheet or a muslin and then pop a sheet and celular blanket over the top depending on what tempeture the room is at
    i didnt put DS into sleepingbags till 5-6 months caus he liked being swaddled with his arms in,

14. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

I am assuming bassinet is same as moses basket???

I have a moses basket for first few months then baby will got into their cot in their own big room!

I have proper fitted sheets etc for the cot but was not paying the ridiculous amount of money for tiny fitted sheets for moses basket. I bought a couple of lovely soft flat single sheets and cut them up to the moses basket size - saved a fortune!

I am in Scotland and like everywhere it is freezing - my little one is due in 3wks - so have got cot size blankets that I can double over for the moses basket - again rather than buy tiny blankets for just first few months - just remember that if you do this doubling over it counts as 2 blankets!

15. MandaAnda

A bassinet is similar to a Moses basket, but it's not the same. But you can't really find bassinets in the UK.

I got two fitted Moses basket sheets at Matalan for £3 - and that wasn't a sale price.