help with benefits last question lol (not looking to be judged or debate)

D

daisy777

my oh (now ex) lost his job a few months back so unfortunatley we had to go onto benefits :(
we got full housing and council tax benefits.
now he has left i told the council of the change and my benefits have dropped and now im having to pay towards it. i was told single moms pretty mich get everything paid for, infact (this sounds awful) but i know peope who purposly stay single for that reason! also what else can i claim?i get 60 a week income suport and 50 child tax (which has also been lowered now)
x

It depends on the size of your property and rent prices of your area.
If there is just you and a baby, you will only be entitled to housing benefit
which is in line with the prices of 2 bedroomed places in your area.
If you are in a 3 bedroomed house, they wont pay for all of it as you
only really need 2 bedrooms. So you would have to pay the extra yourself,
or move somewhere cheaper/smaller.

PS: its bloody tough being a single mother on benefits, ive been there,
and i hate it when people say oh they get everything paid for and live
a life of luxury because it just isnt the case.

It depends on the size of your property and rent prices of your area.
If there is just you and a baby, you will only be entitled to housing benefit
which is in line with the prices of 2 bedroomed places in your area.
If you are in a 3 bedroomed house, they wont pay for all of it as you
only really need 2 bedrooms. So you would have to pay the extra yourself,
or move somewhere cheaper/smaller.

PS: its bloody tough being a single mother on benefits, ive been there,
and i hate it when people say oh they get everything paid for and live
a life of luxury because it just isnt the case.

Yeah definitely, they get things paid for because if they didn't what would happen to the baby and mother?? Raising a child is expensive and I am sure most mom's would rather have the security of a job or having an OH with a job then relying on benefits.

I would talk to a social worker and bring a notepad and pen so you make sure you have everything covered!

Do you get child benifits?
You could always take a trip to Citizens Advice.. They will help you out..

I got sacked while pregnant so living on my OH wages.. And the council are helping too with 68p a week!!!!

Xx

thanks ladies,
i only live in a 2 bedroomed tiny flat, the benefit advisor says im entiled to full everything yet the council are still only allowing me to have half the rent and half the council tax paid.
i mean im grateful for anything but living on 100 a week paying out rent, bills, food and travel expenses is next to impossible.
i hate the thought of having to leave me lo yet but i think going back to work is my only choice
thank you for your help xxxx

That doesn't sound right hun - I'm on maternity leave and have money coming in every month from that and my housing benefit almost covers the cost of a 2 bed flat. I have to make up about £40 a week to cover the rent. If you don't earn anything at all I would have thought they would cover it completely? xx

thanks ladies,
i only live in a 2 bedroomed tiny flat, the benefit advisor says im entiled to full everything yet the council are still only allowing me to have half the rent and half the council tax paid.
i mean im grateful for anything but living on 100 a week paying out rent, bills, food and travel expenses is next to impossible.
i hate the thought of having to leave me lo yet but i think going back to work is my only choice
thank you for your help xxxx

That makes no sence :wacko:
Have you rang the council and asked them to reassess the situation?
I assume you dont have any savings or anything?

^^Yeah I also meant to add to my post about savings - sometimes if you have over a certain amount in savings they will not help you as much? xx

i dont get why they wont pay it all hun ?
i live in a 3 bed house just me and LO and i dont pay anything towards it
:wacko:

That doesn't sound right hun - I'm on maternity leave and have money coming in every month from that and my housing benefit almost covers the cost of a 2 bed flat. I have to make up about £40 a week to cover the rent. If you don't earn anything at all I would have thought they would cover it completely? xx

The council here are rubbish and think we can manage.. Which we can at the minute but only because my dad leant me £3000 (the council dont know this)..

I get on really well with the land lady and she said if it helps she can write us a fake eviction notice saying we havnt paid our rent..

Xx

The council here are rubbish and think we can manage.. Which we can at the minute but only because my dad leant me £3000 (the council dont know this)..

I get on really well with the land lady and she said if it helps she can write us a fake eviction notice saying we havnt paid our rent..

Xx

1stly you are supposed to declare any money you have - especially that
huge amount (even if it is borrowed) and 2ndly i hate it when people
play the system like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member