Help with my sister (asd related)

Midnight_Fairy

New baby J
Reaction score
My niece is very much like my son who has asd. My niece is 2 and is VERY much like him as a toddler. She does not talk, she is fussy with routines, she wont eat, she is very sensitive but wont go to anyone but my sister, she wont play together, she lines things up etc etc. Anyway, its never been a bad thing in my family with my son having ASD. I certainly Dont think I have missed out by having a child with autism. We have all been very open about his difficulty's while he has been growing up and its never been a burden on our family.

I only mentioned, like serious but not sincere about maybe my niece could have a form of asd and to mention it to a health professional and my sister hit the roof. I dont know if it was a shock or not but I only mentioned as surely they can only help her etc.

My sister wont talk to me now!!

wow! I can't imagine behaving that way if someone mentioned something like to me about my son. Surely she has noticed these tendencies? Shocked! The only person I've had trouble with is my son's dad. He seems to think there is nothing wrong with Ian and wouldn't even give him the iron and DHA supplement that had been recommended. I threatened to take him back to court and have his visitation revoked and that changed his behaviour, but not his view on it. I think some people think it's an insult to them somehow to have a child with special needs. I'll never understand that. I hope things improve between the two of you.

Adanma

It's probably shock and denial....I noticed my daughter's behavoirs way before anyone mentioned them to me, as your sister probably has, but i put it down to her personality and although i knew she was special i denied to myself for a long time that there may be any problems. The way she makes up her own special words for things, i always found that beautiful and i still do, i think i knew all along that she was quite different to others her age but i wouldn't admit it.

It's great that your family are so open and accepting, mine are the same and its invaluable but give your sister some time, she may be accepting of your son but she finds it difficult to relate that to her own child. Finding out your child has specil needs is not easy, no matter who else has the same kind of problems its always harder with your own child and you don't expect for them to have problems.

Give her time to come to terms with it and deal with it in her own way, if you are right and her daughter does have ASD she will need your support and she will be thankful in the end that she has a sister who understands and can support her the way you can, nothing helps more than to talk to other parents who really know what your going through xx

Thanks for taking time to reply. We are speaking now but it has not been mentioned. I know my LO is on list for speech therapy so I will leave them to it x I just want to help her you know?

Thanks so much for replying xxx

Of course you want to help her, i'm sure she knows that and when she's ready to she will let you and be glad of your help. I think thats the best thing to do concentrait on your LO and if and when she's ready, let her come to you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->