Help with newborn please

spaceprawn

Mum to Chunk
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi :)

Advised from the formula feeding forum to post this here:

I have been breast feeding my 4 day old since the birth, but for 2 days he's been unsettled, not sleeping and really upset. My milk has not come in yet, and after another full day of refusing to suckle and crying, I tried him on SMA Gold....the difference is incredible, he's like a different baby.
I really wanted to breastfeed....have I just completely ruined my chances?
I just couldn't bear to see him hungry and upset.
Any advice would be appreciated x

Has anyone helped you with a latch? My milk didn't come in until day 5 despite constant suckling. We had to supplement for a couple days because of excessive weight loss and jaundice combo (if it was one or the other I would have refused). I am confused why your LO is refusing to suckle? I would definately talk to a consultant or LLL member. If he isn't suckling then your milk won't come in as well. I understand giving the formula for both your sanity but the first couple weeks are the hardest. My LO nursed for 30-60 minutes, off for about 60-90 minutes, then right back for another hour, all day; completely normal! Stick with it and get some local help to check your latch to see why LO is getting upset. How often is he nursing? Do you notice him swallowing?

Feed feed feed - He may seem upset, grouchy etc but the more he feeds from you the more he'll stimulate your boobs to make the milk that he's needing - It's very very hard in the beginning - well it was for me!

It felt like it was never ending! But persevere!

This is so so important:
Get some easy snacks, healthy and not so if you fancy, make sure you have juice/water at the ready wherever it is you feed and keep the remote for the telly, your phone etc near you....Don't lose faith in yourself or your body to be able to give him what he needs...you can do it! :thumbup:

It'll feel like your not making enough at times as he'll be frustrated - you're both learning at the same time! Now I have a nearly 17 week old little boy the difference is amazing! The 1st 6 weeks are tough....mine is a haze....it does get so much easier i didn't believe anyone when they said this but it does!

Formula will fill him up and mean that your boobs won't make as much milk as he needs sweet - just get him on the boob!

Any questions/fears please just ask or PM me - very happy to help! xxx

Hey hun - no you haven't ruined it. If you want to BF then as everyone has said just keep trying to get LO to suckle. Find a local breastfeeding support group and go along to get someone to check/help with the latch to make sure babs is suckling and if he is then your milk will come in. If your advised to supplement then it's up to you want to take that, but just make sure you get LO still on the boob as much as possible so your body continues to make the milk.

The first two weeks were rough with literally 20 minutes every 2 hours where she wasn't on the boob, but the length and frequesncy does settle when your supply sorts itself out x

Dont be disheartened, agree with all the others. You certainly haven't ruined your chances but you have to keep feed feed feeding, the milk will come. Get a helper at home if you can so you can devote your time to the wee one, it'll definitely pay off in the end when you don't have bottles to sterilise and make up! Good luck, you can do it! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->