Help!

MummytoOscar

& one in the oven <3
Reaction score
So embarrassed, I have a fishbone stuck in my throat :blush:

I can feel it when i swallow and it digs in, what do I do???

Should I eat something else to try and swallow it? Water? :blush::dohh:

Help? Any advice?

:o omg get someone to do 3 hard pats on the back maybe it will come up? ii thought drinking will make it go down into your tummy

I have no idea!?! Feel so stupid

I don't even like fish really, its just all there was til I go shopping later:dohh:

Have called the doc, nurse says A&E :shy:

oh god was gonna suggest a&e didnt want to sound over reactive lol good luck keep us updated :p

dry bread is normally good for shifting fish bones. hope it shifts soon :hugs:

Aw hun, don't worry - you're in good company. That happened to the queen mother too! :D Hope you get it sorted x

*edited - found this on net and it sounded better than my original post :lol:*

Open your mouth, press your tongue down and look in the mirror to see if you can see it, or ask a friend.

It's probably better not to swallow it (depending on the size) as your doctor could get it out fast if it's still high up or go to the accidents and emergency ward of your local hospital so they can get it out straight away without it causing damage on the way down.

If you think you've swallowed it, eat lots of bread or oats and drink water to make the passage easier so it doesn't scrape on the way down and so it doesn't go into the windpipe.

If it scrapes on the way past you might need an anti ulcer treatment or an anti-inflammatory. This is likely if you have pain 4-5 days after the fishbone.

Do NOT panic, it doesn't help anything and seek medical advice if you have pain and especially if you have trouble breathing (which can also be due to panic so try not to worry)

If the hospital can't see it and you still feel something (note: this could just be an ulcer or a scar) they might do a fibroscope test (tube through nose going half way down the throat) to reassure you. If the pain is lower down say so, as this is the domain of the gastro-enterologist who would also put tubing down that goes lower, but this is in the worst cases.

Above all, do not eat your fish in the same mouthful as other foods and chew it slowly. Or avoid fish with bones, try scallops :)

haha Found this: https://crunchyflake.blogspot.com/2005/09/fish-bones-are-crunchy.html

Was quite a good read :) Thought you might appreciate it :p :lol:

Thanks for the replies! I went down to a & e, didn't get back til 11.30!

They did an x ray but it didn't show, so they said I swallowed it. Although I could still feel it moving when I talked.

Just went home and ate a sandwich and the bread must have pushed it down 'cos I feel fine now. But not a nice feeling, not to be recommended lol.

Think I'll leave the fish for a while :blush:

:lol: bread does work wonders with fishbones...

I'm glad everything is ok! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"