Hemiplegic Migraines/Mini Strokes

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by skippy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. skippy

skippy Got my furbabies :)

Suffered from them since I was 13, and SICK of them to be honest. I've been prescribed/recommended three different strong painkillers (not to take all at the same time, obvioiusly) and I've tried them all (lucky enough for me I have enough hemiplegic migraines to try them all out pretty quickly) and nothing seems to work. And worst of all I get NO warning, I just start getting blind spots in one eye, and end up going blind in one eye, then one side of my body goes numb and I can't talk, walk or do anything. My mouth just slacks and I can't even move my lips properly. Last time it lasted for about 10 hours and I've been having a lot of headaches and problems sleeping since. Does anyone suffer from these and have a way of preventing or stopping them?

Alsooo, heard that if you get two within a 24 hour period or so you should call 999, can anyone tell me if this is true?:shrug:

2. Samemka

Samemka Mummy of 2 girlies

Hi hun

I had the same problem up until I was about 18. My doctor prescribed me tablets which I took every morning to prevent them and they really worked. The dose was gradually reduced until I was on to none, and I don't get migraines anymore.

I can't remember what they were called other than they began with P - not v.helpful! But just wanted you to know there is something out there!!

Best of luck - I know how terrible it is suffering with them! :hugs:

3. Lil-woowoo

Lil-woowoo Mummy

Have you ever been referred for an MRI or CT scan? If you i could strongly discuss with your dr about getting one x

4. skippy

Thanks! Good to know theres something out there that helps! Hopefully I can persuade my doctor to put me on something like that, I don't know why he won't:dohh: I had a strong of migraines last week, one after another, it was hell! They said nothing apart from keep a diary:dohh:

5. skippy

Never, would that show anything abnormal?:shrug:

6. Katieeeee

Katieeeee Guest

I get them! Have had them since I was 15 and it got REALLY bad when I was pregnant! PM me if you like :) x

7. skippy

Thanks :) I'm dreading how bad they'll get if I ever get pregnant...how did you cope? Last week I had an injection to see if my body would react to the contraceptive implant...by the third day I would have happily put a bullet in my brain:thumbup::haha:

8. Justme

Justme Well-Known Member

I get them too and can totally sympathize with you.They can be really debilitating.Ive been prescribed Propranolol (this is a beta blocker)which as supposed to help prevent them - I take 2 of these every morning and also I have Solpadol for when I actually have an attack.

9. skippy

I have solpadol too, do you find it works for you? Its never done anything for me:shrug:
    I might ask about being prescribed something I can take daily to prevent them, do they seem to help a lot?

10. Justme

Justme Well-Known Member

No the solpadol dont really help,if im not at work/out and about I take 3 of them (not reccomended I know) and then they do seem to take the edge off it and also make me tired,if you can try and get an hours sleep that can help.The propanolol I must admit I have seen a slight improvement on how frequent I get the migranes so thats a bonus but I do still get them (just not as much).I tried stopping them a few months back and could really tell the difference..Ive been prescribed 'triptans' too in the past,they were little tablets that desolved on your tongue and were to be took as soon as you felt a migrane comming on,they didnt work for me either.
    What other painkillers have you tried?x

11. skippy

the doctor recommended migraleve, which didn't help, and then this other one which was similar to solpadol, but had less co-codamol in it, which didn't work either, i'm gonna be so screwed when the next one comes:( which i don't think will be long:dohh:

12. sma1588

sma1588 mommy 2 kaydence

hi hun, i get these crazy migrain things to where it feels like i just ran head first into a brick wall, my vision goes blury for a while,the left side of my body goes numb and it all makes me get sick and the docs have done a CT scan and it came up normal. they still cant figure it out and give me megestrol to take when it happens ... i actually just had one last night and still have it

13. skippy

they're awful aren't they? i'd phone your doctor and nag and nag until he prescribes something or go to the store and get some strong painkillers:flower:

14. Katieeeee

Katieeeee Guest

It was weird. They changed when I was pregnant. Before then they always started with the light in my eye which would get bigger and bigger until my whole right eye was blind...then i'd get a TERRIBLE headache and the left side of my body would go numb. When I was pregnant, I got all the usual symptoms, but NO headache! The first time I got one when pregnant was the scariest....I was seeing letters in words that weren't actually there. I went COMPLETELY blind, not just in one eye and they ended up referring me for an MRI scan but then told me I couldn't have it, because I was pregnant.

Throughout my pregnancy I think I had about another 10 or 12 of them (I usually get them about once a year, often less than that) and they were really scary. Afterwards I'd always end up speaking complete crap to people and I couldn't make sense of anything or string a sentence together.

After I'd had Aiden, a few weeks ago, I had a HUGE one and ended up getting taken to hospital in an ambulance...again, I went completely blind in both eyes and couldn't move my mouth.

I think for me it's hormones that trigger them. Probably puberty that set them off in the first place, pregnancy hormones that made them more frequent and then perhaps the pregnancy hormones leaving my body after I'd given birth that caused that huge one.

I can completely relate to how you feel and I totally understand. They're so scary. People don't understand that hemiplegic migraines aren't the same as normal migraines and they're actually pretty rare. I actually class it is a sort of disability because personally when I get one, I can't do anything. I'm stuck there and I can't move, speak, nothing. And their unpredictability makes them even more scary. I HATE that feeling yout get when one is coming on....always starts with the visual aura for me and I think "oohhh noooo :( it's not going away, this is a migraine, I need to find the nearest bed :(".

I don't take anything for my migraines....they prescribed me Imigran the first time I had one but personally the only real cure is to just get under my duvet and shut my eyes for half hour till I can see again.

Like I said if you ever wanna chat then pm me! I don't think I've actually ever spoken to anyone else who has these specific types of migraines.

When my doctor told me they were called "mini strokes" I actually SHAT myself :cry:

15. sma1588

sma1588 mommy 2 kaydence

i have tried acupunture (sp?) for it and i dont think they do the acup. right they used lg. needles that were like nails and i couldnt move my wrist and was bleeding. they actually peirced my ear on the top. now im going to contact that doctor to hopefully be sent to the magrain clinic and figure it out . did they do any test on any1 in here? i just dont know what to ask for

16. skippy

You poor thing, I couldn't imagine being pregnant and having a hemiplegic migraine that bad, especially after going through childbirth and then having a massive one, and I know the EXACT feeling! Every time I have blind spots its just like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkk get me a bed and turn all the lights off NOW" apparently I've turned into a raging psycho a couple of times, can't remember what happens sometimes:shrug: for the best though I guess. I've had them SO much during this year, I only used to have one every few months and now if I go a month without having one its like "YAYYYY:happydance:"

Will definitely PM you hun, I've never met anyone who suffers from these either, most people say they understand and they think a migraine is just a bad headache, let alone know what a hemiplegic migraine is:haha:

17. skippy

no tests yet:shrug: but next time i see my doctor he is SO getting the nagging from hell:devil::devil::haha:

18. sma1588

sma1588 mommy 2 kaydence

ya i think im going to do the same. i tried seeing a nother doc and that got me no where

19. skippy

some doctors are SO useless! i've seen about 5 different ones and they've all said COMPLETELY different things:dohh:

20. Sommerfugl

Sommerfugl Mummy of two girls

Omg. I think I have this, yet have somehow never come across the term, in all my years of research. It's just always been termed 'migraine with aura'.
    But I just did some research and for once all the other crazy symtoms came up. (now I had a name to search for- thanks!)

The paralysis on one side of the body, fever, defective muscle coordination, confusion, not being able to speak coherently. Not to mention the mother of all agony in the head.

I can really empathize with the absolute terror when you see those lights.
    It is so frustrating to me when someone says "I've got a migraine" whilst carrying on with their life... They render me a wreck. All I can do is lie in bed, helpless, terrified that it's a stroke.
    Don't know how the hell I'm going to cope when the inevitable happens and I have one when there's no one around to look after my baby..

Anyhow, thanks for this post. I am due a trip to the doctors soon, as in the past few months they've started again, and so I was going to enquire about stronger meds. Now I'll have a name to ask about, maybe I'll get somewhere.
    Another thing that makes me want to kill is when the doctor refers to them as "headaches" Argh!!