• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Herpes 1st pregnancy

I think it's best to do what you are most comfortable with.

I think I would opt for the c-sections, but as I'm not faced with the decision I can't say for sure.

The ladies have given you lots of ideas to explain why you would be having one.

I'm not diagnosed. My tests came back negative. But I do get sores so I treat them as that (though not with medication as they won't give me any!) and I had, and will have, a vaginal birth.
As your history with HSV is a long one, I honestly don't think you have any concern in a natural delivery.
Even if you have an outbreak when you go into labour, the risk of passing it to the baby is really low. Your doctor can prescribe aciclovir 4 weeks before you're full term to stop any outbreaks. Also, even if u have an outbreak while in labour you can be put on a antiviral drip, and the baby can have a course of antiviral mess after birth.
I also fine EPO helps me and I plan to take that at full term anyways so hopefully that will stop any sores.
Medically, I don't believe you need to have a c section at all. But obviously you do what you feel more confortable with. And no one needs to know why, you could simply say baby is breach and no one would batt an eyelid.
X

Thank you Carlyjade. It's great to get different views. Did you have an outbreak at delivery stage? Sorry to sound naive but what is EPO?

Xx

I didn't luckily. And what I have, whatever it maybe, hits me quite often. My OH has never had anything like it. It's strange!
But as I said the risk is minute... Maybe play it by ear if u can? Opt for a normal delivery and if you have an outbreak at the time, go for a C Section. As long as it's discussed with your dr I can't see it being a problem. And not having a C section if avoided would be better all round as I for one do not want to still be suffering 6wks after birth if can be helped.

When I discussed it with a consultant last time about not having a diagnosis but having similar symptoms I was told as I've suffered prior to pregnancy, the risk to my baby would be less than 1%. If I had had an outbreak then maybe I would ask for a c section and probably get.

I used EPO (evening primrose oil) to regulate my hormones. After DD I suffer really badly with chronic thrush which would come one 10 days before AF was due and last until AF came. It helped that and also the sores stopped coming which again seemed to only appear before my period was due. When taken before the end of pregnancy if helps prepare the cervix. I took it last time I had no sores for weeks before or after. X

TBH I wouldn't decide now. I have HPV, usually one small outbreak a year - I got it from my husband who didn't even know he had it (I got it early in our relationship, before I married him, so not concerned he was being naughty and he has never had an outbreak).

Anyway I was open with both my midwife and consultant about it, and given they think 25% of American adults have it - they reassured me it was not a big deal and to not give it too much thought.

If I had an outbreak around due date I would have a c-section but they would assume normal delivery for DD which is what I had. Now sounds like you have a more intensive kind given you are under hospital care, so I would totally understand if you wanted to opt for the C-section... but honestly don't worry about people finding out why if that's the route you choose.

OH and I agreed if I did need a c-section we would simply say the baby was breech - no-one would be any wiser!!

HPV has many strands and can be passed on using condoms, without intercourse and being sexually responsible, we all have different strands of it - it also causes chicken pox / shingles and abnormal smears - it is not a sign of being irresponsible.

xx

I agree with everyone else. You could just say baby was breach or the chord was wrapped around his neck or something

Your doctor should prescribe you a prescription (such as Valtrex) to take daily once you are far enough along in your pregnancy to ensure you will not have any outbreaks upon delivery. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this :hugs:

TBH I wouldn't decide now. I have HPV, usually one small outbreak a year - I got it from my husband who didn't even know he had it (I got it early in our relationship, before I married him, so not concerned he was being naughty and he has never had an outbreak).

Anyway I was open with both my midwife and consultant about it, and given they think 25% of American adults have it - they reassured me it was not a big deal and to not give it too much thought.

If I had an outbreak around due date I would have a c-section but they would assume normal delivery for DD which is what I had. Now sounds like you have a more intensive kind given you are under hospital care, so I would totally understand if you wanted to opt for the C-section... but honestly don't worry about people finding out why if that's the route you choose.

OH and I agreed if I did need a c-section we would simply say the baby was breech - no-one would be any wiser!!

HPV has many strands and can be passed on using condoms, without intercourse and being sexually responsible, we all have different strands of it - it also causes chicken pox / shingles and abnormal smears - it is not a sign of being irresponsible.

xx

Just to clear up though - HPV is not the same as herpes, herpes is HS2 (Herpex Simplex type 2). HPV is the virus that can cause genital warts (along with all the other stuff that you mention above) but herpes causes the outbreaks that usually look like little blisters, are itchy, and then break out in sores before they heal. Another type of herpes is cold sores which a lot of people get on their mouths.

I have HSV2 (herpes) as well which sucks, but my DH and I have no idea which of us passed it to the other as we were both sexually active before we started dating. He's never had an outbreak, I've never had a confirmed one but I'm pretty sure I've had one or two outbreaks (in two years). I am going to try for a vaginal delivery as long as it's safe and I don't have an outbreak, but I agree with previous poster - I wouldn't decide 100% on it now. Maybe the antivirals they give you during the last few weeks keep it completely off so you can have a normal delivery. If not, there's no one that needs to know why, as so many have said.

No one knows that I have it so if it came to a c-section in my case we would just say it was breech or some other mild complication.

Good luck!

-edit-
Rickles I just realized you weren't saying HPV is herpes, sorry ;)
Herpes also affects about 25% of pregnant women (estimated) and most of them don't know they have it, so it's a very stigmatized virus!

If I were in your shoes, I would probably opt for the csection. I would tell everyone that baby wasn't positioned properly for a vaginal birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"