HFMD and early pregnancy...

brittxmarie

Reaction score
So my son just came home yesterday with fever and today has those wonderful HFMD blisters all inside his mouth and his hands. I'm currently 8w3d and the PCP told us that we needed to be isolated from each other for a few days because it can cause issues in early pregnancy. Has anyone else ever heard this?!

I'm panicking because I've never been away from my DS for longer than 24 hours :cry:

So my son just came home yesterday with fever and today has those wonderful HFMD blisters all inside his mouth and his hands. I'm currently 8w3d and the PCP told us that we needed to be isolated from each other for a few days because it can cause issues in early pregnancy. Has anyone else ever heard this?!

I'm panicking because I've never been away from my DS for longer than 24 hours :cry:

Hey! I had always heard that most adults don't get hand foot and mouth and that it's rare.... however I got it when I worked in a daycare and it was really one of the most terrible things I have ever had. It's way worse in an adult than a child and it takes a long long time to get better. I think with your compromised immune system you should definitely take your doctors advice even if that means you have to isolate yourself. You really don't want to get sick with this!

Had it at 17 weeks. It sucked. My fingernails are still coming back.

Its less dangerous in 2nd trimester. But yeah, in 1st, I'd isolate a bit or at the very least avoid kisses/slobbery hugs and lots of hand washing.

Most adults don't get it but pregnancy can lower you immune system. It can cause miscarriage in first tri, but its rare.

Its yucky...like chicken pox. I'd say listen to the doctor and do your best to isolate.

Thanks for the advice :) It's so hard knowing that my little guy is hurting so badly and I can't help him :cry: He stayed with his grandparents this weekend during the beginning stages and comes back to me today, depending on how bad he is will determine if he stays with me or goes back to Mimi & Grandpa :(

My dd had HMFD when I was 5-6 weeks pregnant and none of the doctors I saw or midwife said anything about there being a risk to baby? I did ask but they all said it shouldn't be a problem and not one of the ones they worry about. I think it's good your following drs advice but thought is just share my experience.
Ps, I didn't get it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"