hi, i hope you dont mind me asking

MissPiggy

Kayson and Bumpy-Sweep
Reaction score
im looking into becoming a makaton sign tutor (with British Sign Language for older children) and i was wondering whether doing the Open university Course on 'Understanding the Autism Spectrum' would
A: be helpful for me to understand and
B: Encourage people to come

I was hoping for it to eventually turn into somewhere where mummies could gather and just have fun with signing and songs...

I hope i havent caused any offence to anyone by asking, and any input would be really helpful for me, because i also need to show a need/want for it =) thankyou x

my son is in mainstream school but in a speech and language unit. They use Makaton in his class. The children find it very helpful. I know i little about how it works but not nearly enough to use it at home. So i think it would be helpful to parents

my son is in mainstream school but in a speech and language unit. They use Makaton in his class. The children find it very helpful. I know i little about how it works but not nearly enough to use it at home. So i think it would be helpful to parents

thankyou hun, that is very hepful :thumbup: its something ive been looking into for a while =) xxx

wish ya cud come teach it over here (NI) lol! Took me 8 months to get a class to teach me it. We're in dire need of them over here from what i can gather. I got info about how to train up to become a local tutor or regional tutor at the lessons i went to but its just not an option for me with new baby due soon. Good luck- hope ya get all the info ya need xxx

wish ya cud come teach it over here (NI) lol! Took me 8 months to get a class to teach me it. We're in dire need of them over here from what i can gather. I got info about how to train up to become a local tutor or regional tutor at the lessons i went to but its just not an option for me with new baby due soon. Good luck- hope ya get all the info ya need xxx

They area very scarce bunch...people dont seem interested...which is why im grateful for people like Justin Fletcher it gets the word out =)

Thankyou, if i ever come to NI i'll look you up =) xxx

im looking into becoming a makaton sign tutor (with British Sign Language for older children) and i was wondering whether doing the Open university Course on 'Understanding the Autism Spectrum' would
A: be helpful for me to understand and
B: Encourage people to come

I was hoping for it to eventually turn into somewhere where mummies could gather and just have fun with signing and songs...

I hope i havent caused any offence to anyone by asking, and any input would be really helpful for me, because i also need to show a need/want for it =) thankyou x

I've been Makaton trained since university (10+yrs) and use it daily at work with children with moderate/severe learning disability - I couldn't praise it enough. While the formal workshops are great there's also a real need for informal parent training that's accessible and practical and can be carried through at home on a day to day basis - go for it!!!!!

good luck xx

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but why is makaton? Would love to find out more. Thanks.

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but why is makaton? Would love to find out more. Thanks.

It's a sign language system based on natural gesture, loads of info on https://www.makaton.org

HTH xx

we use makaton alot with Robbie (who is being tested atm) - i think that OU course will help anyway regardless of the makaton. It sounds like a good class to do - and makaton is great.

BSL and Makaton are two different languages. Makaton is used for non verbal children such as autism and BSL is for the deaf. I would recommend not mixing the two as they would be conflicting (I am Makaton trained and also a BSL interpreter)

Lola xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"