Hi, quick question regarding uterus position/rib pain

Gypsy_Punk

Mummy to 3 angels
Reaction score
Hi all. I am 18 weeks this weekend but expecting triplets. I have rib pain on the right hand side, sort of under my right boob...it feels like stretching muscle/ribs being pushed down.

I googled it and it said this was common in 3rd trimester due to the uterus getting higher and pushing down on the ribs but as I am having multiples, my uterus is bigger at 17 weeks 5 days than obviously when only carrying one baby...

My uterus is a couple of inches above my tummy button, could this be why my ribs hurt?

If anyone has suffered, what can ease it?

Thanks

:)

Nothing, Nothing, Nothing eases it :nope::nope:
I've had this for weeks and the doctor said pretty much the same as what you found out and he said it wouldn't go until the baby is born :cry:
He did prescibe me some cocodamol which takes the edge off but it never goes totally away.

Hopefully you'll get a more helpful reply than mine :shrug:

I feel for you though youv'e got it way earlier than when I started with it :hugs:

:( Aw no.

Does it tend to be one sided? Is there a reason why it's only on the right? Will it shift to the left?

Feels like my rib is broken!

x

Ribs can be painful as they separate outwards and backwards in order for uterus to move up.I get alot of rib pain too, it's not agony but it aches alot.

Mine has always been on the right side it's not shifted and the pain can take your breath away sometimes :wacko:

I found this out below with an exercise to do .....I'll defo try it out tonight and see how it goes :thumbup:

Rib Pain / Soreness

Rib pain can range from mild to extremely sore and tender ribs and is usually felt on the right side, just below the breasts. Mainly occurring in the third trimester, it can be more painful when sitting. Rib pain is caused from the uterus pressing into the abdomen, squashing your ribs, as well as baby kicking or punching the area. The only real ways to help here are to make yourself as comfortable as possible by wearing lose fitting clothes and supporting yourself with cushions when lying down. The pain will likely subside when baby drops (into your pelvic cavity) in preparation for birth.

Here is a really effective exercise for temporary relief. Stand facing a wall. With your feet 40cms from the wall, cross your arms in front of your face. Then lean your crossed arms on the wall sliding them up the wall above your head and stretching yourself up as far as possible. Hold the position for as long as comfortable. This lifts the diaphragm and rib cage up off the uterus and really provides huge temporary relief, especially if the pain is caused by a breech baby’s hard little head wedged under your ribs.

Give it a try too it can't to any harm :shrug:

Isn't it just awful! I've only got one baby in the oven and my ribs kill me, especially at night. I do a prenatal yoga dvd that helps a bit since it stretches you pretty good, and a hot bath helps a bit too. Good luck.

I had that for a while, it was baaaaad! The only thing that helped was getting up and walking around a bit, or using a heat pack.

nothing eases it :( nothing i've found anyway... i've had it since pretty early on, when i started really showing. it's always on the right side for me... my doctor told me it was some kind of nerve thing that is there but idk. it sometimes tingles like it is "asleep" like when your foot falls asleep... i have to just change positions to get more comfy

Mine is on the left as thats where Sams head is - do you know babies positions? Bet you have a head there where its hurting. Many hugs to you my lovely - I was awfully in pain weeks 20-24 so maybe with triplets it comes a bit earlier my uncomfortableness has really eased since then so I hope yours does too xxxxxxxxx

I've heard lots of people start experiencing this under the right ribs 1st. Mines my right ribs too. and now i'm getting tight chested becasue of everything moving up. it sux!

Mine has always been on the right side it's not shifted and the pain can take your breath away sometimes :wacko:

I found this out below with an exercise to do .....I'll defo try it out tonight and see how it goes :thumbup:

Rib Pain / Soreness

Rib pain can range from mild to extremely sore and tender ribs and is usually felt on the right side, just below the breasts. Mainly occurring in the third trimester, it can be more painful when sitting. Rib pain is caused from the uterus pressing into the abdomen, squashing your ribs, as well as baby kicking or punching the area. The only real ways to help here are to make yourself as comfortable as possible by wearing lose fitting clothes and supporting yourself with cushions when lying down. The pain will likely subside when baby drops (into your pelvic cavity) in preparation for birth.

Here is a really effective exercise for temporary relief. Stand facing a wall. With your feet 40cms from the wall, cross your arms in front of your face. Then lean your crossed arms on the wall sliding them up the wall above your head and stretching yourself up as far as possible. Hold the position for as long as comfortable. This lifts the diaphragm and rib cage up off the uterus and really provides huge temporary relief, especially if the pain is caused by a breech baby’s hard little head wedged under your ribs.

I heard it was bad to stretch up high because it can cause the cord to tighten around baby? :shrug:

Rib Pain / Soreness

I heard it was bad to stretch up high because it can cause the cord to tighten around baby? :shrug:

hmm we do this move in pregnancy yoga class so I doubt its dangerous - basically you are moving the rib cage up and creating more space arent you so not sure how that would impact bubs in utero? eekkkkk hope not I do it all the time lol

Mine is on the left as thats where Sams head is - do you know babies positions? Bet you have a head there where its hurting. Many hugs to you my lovely - I was awfully in pain weeks 20-24 so maybe with triplets it comes a bit earlier my uncomfortableness has really eased since then so I hope yours does too xxxxxxxxx

Hi, I have one on my left, one on my right and one across the top where my tummy button is

Rib Pain / Soreness

i heard this too but i think it is just an old wives tale... i don't think there is any way we could stretch far enough to tighten the cord that much if it did happen to be around the baby's neck.

also - about the right-sided pain, i read that this could be a sign of pre-eclampsia but not really sure... apparently the liver can swell and cause discomfort?

I've had this for a while (obviously not as long as you!!!!) but the only thing that helps is stretching it out. It doesn't make it go away but stretching it out does definitely help. I think my prenatal yoga classes have been a Godsend and would encourage any pregnant lady to try them! Best of luck! :hugs:

Hi, I have one on my left, one on my right and one across the top where my tummy button is

hmmm well not being an expert but your transverse bubs will I bet be the one causing you grief - one of my twins was transverse until about 18 weeks but low down and got it killed my hips!!!! So I would imagine that the same will be as painful on the ribs plus more as you have another squiggler in there. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hmmm well not being an expert but your transverse bubs will I bet be the one causing you grief - one of my twins was transverse until about 18 weeks but low down and got it killed my hips!!!! So I would imagine that the same will be as painful on the ribs plus more as you have another squiggler in there. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok thanks, I will mention it at my scan on Monday :)

xxx

Rib Pain / Soreness

hmm we do this move in pregnancy yoga class so I doubt its dangerous - basically you are moving the rib cage up and creating more space arent you so not sure how that would impact bubs in utero? eekkkkk hope not I do it all the time lol

I think it's more the stretching of the uterus- obviously if it hurt to stretch it you would stop anyways.

In that case I might give it a go. Anything a worth a try to stop feeling this uncomfy. Would this work on stretching out the chest cavity thingee too? like because everything is getting all squished up i'm getting a tight chest and its hard to breath sometimes, i'm not sure if that is related to the ribs or not though. :shrug:

Ok thanks, I will mention it at my scan on Monday :)

xxx

oohh exciting - 18 week scan was when I saw my boys in 3d (see my avator) I do get reassurance when I know which positions they are in as it kind of makes sense of the pain. Lots of luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"