Hiccup worries?

Minnyb

Reaction score
Hey ladies! I've noticed my baby's hiccups from early on but it seems to have become more frequent and I felt them on six occasions today! I've read that anything more than four should get checked out due to cord compression, but have also heard from loads of mothers saying their babies hiccupped constantly and anything up to eight times was normal. Wouldn't movements be different too if there were any cord issues? Any imput would be greatly appreciated as I do seem to be constantly worrying about this at the moment. Thanks for reading. :flower:

Hiya :) From about 32 weeks onwards my baby has hiccups loads! And they last for ages too. It seems to be whenever i have a drink! Im not worried as ive heard its completely normal. Maybe they are just swallowing some of the amniotic fluid, im not sure x

personally, id just call mw or hosp and ask them as they are professionals and if they think you need checking over they will say so. xxx

Hiya :) From about 32 weeks onwards my baby has hiccups loads! And they last for ages too. It seems to be whenever i have a drink! Im not worried as ive heard its completely normal. Maybe they are just swallowing some of the amniotic fluid, im not sure x

Oddly I've noticed the hiccup increase from about 32 weeks too. So would you say your baby has them 6 or more times too? Sorry to seem pathetic but I've heard women say babies hiccup loads and then say twice a day straight afterwards! A complete worry wort I know- sorry! :blush:

Dont worry about worrying, you sound just like me :) I'd say my baby does them about 4/5 times a day, and they can be at set times too. 3 days in a row i noticed them happening at 7am, 12pm, 2pm and then a couple of times in the evening. But with these happening everyday ive become used to them, so i dont think im noticing them as much, even though they are still happening. If you are concerened for any reason, just check with your midwife :) But from my personal opinion i dont think there is anything wrong with them x

Mine is hiccuping ALOT! A few times a day at least......

It happens. Some days hes has them a whole bunch and other days not so much. I wouldnt worry

personally, id just call mw or hosp and ask them as they are professionals and if they think you need checking over they will say so. xxx

I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow so I'll mention it then. Thanks.x

I worry about this too. My baby had them 10 times in one day not long ago. Yesterday i noticed them 3 times before lunch time; I called the hospital and spoke to someone at the Fetal Medicine Unit and she said hiccuping is normal and she had never heard of hiccups meaning cord compression x

I've noticed them lots more over the last week esp after I eat, drink. Liam always had loads when inside me as well so I wouldn't worry too much but you can always phone your midwife if you are unsure x

I saw my midwife on monday and mentioned the amount of hiccups, she wasn't concerned at all and I would say my baby ranges from having them 2-6 times a day xxx

I worry about this too. My baby had them 10 times in one day not long ago. Yesterday i noticed them 3 times before lunch time; I called the hospital and spoke to someone at the Fetal Medicine Unit and she said hiccuping is normal and she had never heard of hiccups meaning cord compression x

That's reassuring to know, especially as your baby had them 10 times!!! I'm suprised the midwife hadn't heard about though, but so pleased she didn't think it was anything to worry about.

Thank you so much ladies, I'm feeling a lot better about it now! :)

I've mentioned it to 5 midwives in total now (super paranoid, can u tell!?) and not one have thought it was a problem and have told me to keep off the internet. When I first worried about it I actually had a scan and got her to check the cord and she said everything was fine. During the scan he was GULPING fluid the whole time and she said, 'that's why he's getting hiccups!'
I still worry because I worry about everything but if the professionals aren't worried then there's not much more I can do. I guess the cord compression with hiccups is the worst case scenario...like if you have a headache it 'could' be a brain tumour x

Mine little boy has them alot and has done from around 30 weeks. I read a post on here the other day about it being dangerous as it means the cord is around the babies neck! Anyway... I seen my MW yesteday and told her, she said (in her words) it was nonsense and there is no evidence that a baby having hiccups means that. In fact she said a baby with hiccups is a very healthy baby as it shows they are practising breathing.. So personally I wouldnt worry.. xx

I asked my doctor at the appointment last week about hiccups and he said they're nothing to worry about. If anything, they're a good sign! Means the nervous system is developing well and baby's practicing breathing motions. Was comforting to hear because mine has had more hiccups lately too, some pretty strong ones even! Average 1-3 times a day about 5 minutes an episode. I wonder if it annoys them getting hiccups so often.. I know I'd be annoyed by them! :p

Seriously hunny dont worry, I read that for the 1st time ever on here the other day! I and many other mums have been told its just the baby practicing breathing, and they breathe too much fluid in :) if it was a big concern or a major sign for the cord around the neck then midwives would tell us to look out for it... ask tomorrow for peace of mind but they'll just tell u not to worry id think. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and your clever baby trying to breathe :) xxxx

Mine little boy has them alot and has done from around 30 weeks. I read a post on here the other day about it being dangerous as it means the cord is around the babies neck! Anyway... I seen my MW yesteday and told her, she said (in her words) it was nonsense and there is no evidence that a baby having hiccups means that. In fact she said a baby with hiccups is a very healthy baby as it shows they are practising breathing.. So personally I wouldnt worry.. xx

Thanks Hun. I just noticed you're from Gloucestershire too!! You're the first one I've noticed on here! :happydance:

I asked my doctor at the appointment last week about hiccups and he said they're nothing to worry about. If anything, they're a good sign! Means the nervous system is developing well and baby's practicing breathing motions. Was comforting to hear because mine has had more hiccups lately too, some pretty strong ones even! Average 1-3 times a day about 5 minutes an episode. I wonder if it annoys them getting hiccups so often.. I know I'd be annoyed by them! :p

I wonder about it annoying them too. I had them yesterday and they drove me crazy! Little lady had them during my 4D scan at 28 weeks and even the sonographer commented on how vicious they looked! I feel really sorry for her every time she has them and try and 'rub her better!' Silly I know! :blush:

Seriously hunny dont worry, I read that for the 1st time ever on here the other day! I and many other mums have been told its just the baby practicing breathing, and they breathe too much fluid in :) if it was a big concern or a major sign for the cord around the neck then midwives would tell us to look out for it... ask tomorrow for peace of mind but they'll just tell u not to worry id think. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and your clever baby trying to breathe :) xxxx

Wise words hun, thanks. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"