Hiding symptoms at/when to tell work?

Riveted Rosie

Reaction score
Hi lovelies

I thought I was breezing through intermittent mild nausea and covering yawns well at work but this week the symptoms have ramped up.

I need to snack, smells are horrible and I am nodding off at my desk.

What tips can you give me for getting through work/when is a good time to tell your boss/employer?

xxx

Plan snacks and things you like to eat and bring them from home. Find things that help with the nausea. For me, drinking soda water helped. Making sure I ate regularly did as well and I always pack lunches for work anyway, but I was extra careful. I also ate whatever I wanted that made me feel better, which generally was pretty healthy. It really isn't a time for stressing about diet.

I also found getting some fresh air and taking a walk in the middle of the day helped. I would plan it for when someone was eating something especially smelly for lunch.

Do you have the option to work from home at all? I work from home several days a week anyway, but I definitely made sure I took full advantage of it and worked from home when I could on the worst days (and I also took a nap!). When its really bad, take a sick day. That's what they're for and there's no reason to suffer.

As for when to tell, I would tell them when it affects your work or future plans and take into if/when you'd feel comfortable disclosing any bad news to them if you were to have a loss. I had a mc before this pregnancy, so I was in no hurry to talk to anyone about being pregnant. I have a lovely supervisor and colleagues, but I knew there was no way I'd want to share that news with them if it happened again (even when I took off 3 weeks for the mc, I still didn't tell them that's what it was). So I told my supervisor at 12 weeks when I was confident everything was going fine. I would have probably waited to tell her later, but I had an important meeting where we were discussing (one-on-one) my plans for the next year. Obviously seemed important to mention I wasn't planning to actually be around after February!

Thanks lovely! I can't work from home but have been snacking and sipping.

I think I may hold off telling them unless I need to be off sick, if I don't tell them then it could cause disciplinary issues, whereas pg related is offset I think.

I'm relatively new at my company (9 months) and work in a different office to my boss so can't casually say! If I get the opportunity to mention then probably will because I would need support with a loss. We had one last year actually just after 12 weeks, but feeling stronger and safer this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"