High bmi, but would love a homebirth

ladyredlainey

Preg - mum to 4 girls
Reaction score
Hiya

I have never asked the midwife about home births, but because of my BMI I am automatically supposed to go to the main hospital in Dundee for delivering my little one. I ideally would like to give birth in the midwife run unit which is like a 10 minute walk away!, and I have done before, and got on great, but I was only supposed to get checked, then go to Dundee lol, but was already 8cm so they kept me in.

I have never had any troubles in labour or giving birth, so it really gets to me, with the fact my weight is the issue (i do also understand why, but I wish it would be just based on my history than weight iykwim) I don't have blood pressure problems, I've still to be tested for Gestational Diabetes, but it has always come back negative in my previous pregnancies.

Has anyone who is classed as having a high bmi managed to convince the midwife to have a home birth? as I previously said, I haven't asked yet, but I am worried about them saying no.
My babies have never been that big, they were 9lb 4oz, 10lb 9oz & 9lb 9oz, and my middle and youngest daughters practically popped out lol!.

I would truly love a home birth, and for everything to be as natural as possible, I never had pain relief in my previous labours (gas & air briefly till i was sick lol)

Thanks if anyone can reply, I would really appreciate it x

High BMI alone is not a reason to not have a home birth. Very early on in the sticky thread Home birthers and hopefuls, eternal Rose and someone else had this issue. If you can take the time to click through till she joins the thread you'll find valuable info and experience there. x

Hi Elaine!

BMI is not a reason for them to deny you a homebirth. EternalRose successfully fought a decision to "allow" her to homebirth. She wrote about her struggle in this thread (very early on).

Edited to add: Crossposted with you and MM! :)

This link should be in there as you look through, but just to give you something quick to read, look here.

Thanks very much for the links :) I've still to find eternal Rose's thread, but looking to lol!
See typical woman, multi tasking :lol: x

I found it, thanks again :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/255340-home-birthers-hopefuls-10.html

How did you find the advice in the thread? Do you still have any worries?
It sounds like you have a briliant obstetric history for a Homebirth - but remember, they can't tell you you can't have one.. it is your decision. If you come up against serious brick walls, we are always here to support you. You could also look into getting an independant MW for the birth.
xXx

It has been very helpful, and really as previously said, I shouldn't be frowned upon having one really.
If everything goes tickity boo through out, i.e baby not being breech - which does worry me personally, with having a home birth, but can also be a possibility, as my youngest was breech till the day before 38 weeks. Then I know I would feel much more relaxed at home. I hated being away from home, I can not stand hospitals lol!

Thanks again :)

Hiya, I had/have a high BMI and was booked in for a homebirth, unfortunatly it dident happen though as LO decided to come early. I told my widwife that i dident see having a high bmi alone a reason for not having a home birth, i was otherwise fit and healthy and unless i developed complications ie GD or pre-eclampsia i was staying at home. My MW wasent hard to convince but the consultant basicly told me they "wouldent let me have my baby at home" so i told them they are not alowed to stop me.

Just remeber that they can only advise and explain and ultimatly its your choice where you give birth.

If you want to know anything else feel free to PM me.

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/
Have a look at that sight, there is a bit about having a high BMI

I don't know what your BMI is but mine what just straddling the 39/40 area. Apparently my MW told me if I was over 40 I would have been consultant led which really annoyed me. I'm just like you, perfectly healthy, never had any previous issues with things like diabetes or any thing and my GTT came back with flying colours! She was actually shocked, which I was a little offended about.

Anyways the point is I was given a few reasons why my homebirth may be an issue due to my weight. "Harder to find heart beat" "baby may be bigger". Both of those issues annoyed me as my MW has never had an issue finding Babs heartbeat so why would she all of a sudden at home? And big babies can come out of anyone! Not to mention I passed the GTT so I shouldn't be having huge ones. :dohh:

Just make it a matter of fact statement that you will be having one. And then if there's issues we're all here to help you deal with it. :)

I don't know what your BMI is but mine what just straddling the 39/40 area. Apparently my MW told me if I was over 40 I would have been consultant led which really annoyed me. I'm just like you, perfectly healthy, never had any previous issues with things like diabetes or any thing and my GTT came back with flying colours! She was actually shocked, which I was a little offended about.

Anyways the point is I was given a few reasons why my homebirth may be an issue due to my weight. "Harder to find heart beat" "baby may be bigger". Both of those issues annoyed me as my MW has never had an issue finding Babs heartbeat so why would she all of a sudden at home? And big babies can come out of anyone! Not to mention I passed the GTT so I shouldn't be having huge ones. :dohh:

Just make it a matter of fact statement that you will be having one. And then if there's issues we're all here to help you deal with it. :)

About the heartbeat thing, i think they are basing that on when trying to find it with the tracing machine, not the hand held dopplers which fits in with problems i had but they use the hand held ones at home anyway.

My bmi is on the higher side also. My girls for the clip on the head for the heartbeat, cause of it being to difficult to find on me.

It is so annoying when they do not look at the whole picture, with not being positive with GD, or having high BP and not having signs of Pre-Eclampsia, which are the big things aren't they, and with all the blood tests coming back fine to, and urine being fine. And if baby is head down! then things are all set for the green light to go go! eh.

I can relate so much with the frustration though.

Well done lozzy21 for setting it straight with your midwife even though she sounded nice, but more so with the consultant, but bless your little one, just not wanting to be patient eh hehe :) and come early x

I also get the 'shocked look' Jenniflower, and also get offended by it. It was the same when I was 40+ weeks, and not needing a help off the bed after them doing a sweep, it showed it wasn't effecting me much, i never even used my arms to sit myself up (which i should have done lol). I wish the 'larger lady, lazy muscles' etc, would be thrown out the window, it is not true for every larger woman!

OK i have gone off my dinger a bit, sorry about that lol!! *stands down from the soap box* haha

Thanks for your replies :D xx

If you want it, go for it and dont let them fob you off.

My MW agreed with me it was better to be big at the start of your pregnancy that start of skinny and put 5 stone on but unfortunatly they go on your booking bmi so we're peanalised (sp?) yet some one who started of slim but now weights the same has no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->