High BMI / 'obese' and TTC

Erised

Mummy to amazing girls
Reaction score
Did a search here and found 2 threads on this subject, but both quite old already so figured it couldn't hurt to start a new one. I'd love to know if there's women on here who are close to me in shape and weight and trying to conceive. I never really thought much about my weight, like every woman I feel bad about it and get my down moments, but never enough to actually stick with diets and exercise plans. This mostly because I have fibromyalgia as well causing me to hurt and tire quickly, that mixed with a very weak mind mean I simply give up. But I'm off the pill for 3 months now and my cycle hasn't evened itself out yet, and I'm starting to freak and obviously blame it on my weight right away. Would love to hear stories of others that are seen as 'obese' and how they deal with it, if they do ovulate normally, have regular cycles etc.

Stats!:

Height: 174 cm / 5'8" (and a half! =P )
Weight: 115 kilos (at heaviest) / 253 pounds / 18 stone
BMI: 37.5
Size: UK 18/20 pants, UK 16/18/20 Top
Bra: 38J

I noticed a weight loss thread on here somewhere as well, but after quickly looking at it it just made me feel too bad to read on. All these size 12/14 girls losing weight because they're too large ... Size 14 sounds brilliant to me! Wouldn't want to go smaller than that to be honest. As for weight, I'd love to be lighter ... though not as light as the BMI suggests I should be. Apparently I should weight no more than 75 kilos to be in range, just can't imagine what I'd be like =/

Not really sure what the whole point is of this thread tbh! Just wanted to write it off my chest and hope *fingers crossed* there's people around here who have proven it's possible to be in my situation and conceive naturally. I know it all depends on the person, but it's just that bit of hope to cling onto =) Feel so selfish now with a bunch of you lovely women that have tried so long and me already getting desperate after only having been off the pill for 3 months. I apologise ... I'll stop my rambling now =)

Oh, Honey! Please join our group. (BnB's Biggest Losers) We have anything from 15 lbs to lose to 75lbs+. Everyone is really nice and supportive!!!!

Good luck TTC!

hya after having my son i was 15 stone was always about 13 stone after finishing school but i lost 5 stone in 2yrs after my son the put 2 back on now 11stone 9 and trying hard to get down iam a uk size 16. size 14 sound really good to me aswell as i was only this size in school and when i lost 5 stone. good luck it is hard to lose but easy to put on

I had my follow up at my GP yesterday and she told me loosing weight would help the hormones to work properly as estrogen is also associated with stored fat and excess fat can absorb the estrogen preventing prostrogen working properly.

anyhow, i'm 5'5", and my BMI is about 32 which is classified as Obese. and i've lost 10lbs so far, last weigh in last week made me 14st 1/2lb. i'm a UK 18 all over and would love to be a 14! i find my slim/skinny friends are always cod and ill! so it doesn't encourage me to go mega slim.

Good Luck!

Hi,
Well im 5'6 and was 13 stone and i conceived after two months of trying so im sure you'll be fine once your periods settle

Hey!!

I'm 5'6 and weigh 16st!! I'm trying to concieve, and was told by my doctor that it can cause all sorts of health problems... but a girl I work with who weighed 17st got pregnant within 4 months and had no problems with her pregnancy at all! Thats the hope I cling to anyway!! xx

its not good but im 5ft 9 or 10 20 stone, have 2 children and had no probs but my periods were like clockwork, 28 days etc..

good luck

h x

HIya, come join us on the weight loss thread I am BMI 38!!!!! So more than you, size 18. I am on a mission to get it down i know I am preob one of the most heaviest but the girls are lovely, we can do it, be my diet buddy.

Glad to hear there are 'bigger' (God I hate saying that) women on here that have had good experiences themselves, or know those that have fallen pregnant. I'm still hoping to join them soon! =)

I hadn't actually seen the BnB Biggest Losers thread before, glad I now know of it's existence! I'll definatly find time later today to read through it all (that will take a while!) and hopefully find the courage to join it myself. I'm a very weak minded person and just know I won't do the things I should =P Doesn't help still not feeling comfortable around where I live and not daring to go out on my own to actually do exercise. Maybe I'll find tips on what we can do indoors to help lose weight =)

As for doctors and being told to lose weight to conceive ... I must admit I still haven't seen my GP about it. I mentioned it in passing last time I saw it that we were gonna try soon and he just joked about his kids and wished me luck. He's a lovely guy =) Might go and see him when I'm back in Holland next week and just get some advice. Plus I'd love to know why AF has been missing, maybe he can find her =P

i am also a 'bigger' lady lol. i am a wee shorty - 5"2 with a bmi of 36...not too good lol. i toohave no will power - i have joined endless diet classes but i am too weak willed i spose...i recently took a break from ttc as i was getting majorly obsesses...but i am back fresh and ready to go!! i wish you all the best of luck! xxx

hi, well i am bigger than u at a size 24 and i am not telling my bmi lol, i felt really scared about trying 4 a baby and being obese but i seen my gp and he said it was fine 2 ttc and i fell pregnant after 4 months of ttc and have a healthy 2 yr old boy so there is hope! good luck! :) x

Hi Hun,

Im about your weight, Im not proud of it, but I had my little girl no problems really and a lovely enjoyable birth! We are now trying for number 2, hopefully we wont encounter any problems, but I am 100% adament that when we wean our daughter she wont be having the same food as ive been eating and we'll eat healthy as a family. Just think otherwise when she gets older she'll be wondering why we're eating different! Good luck with the BFP!

Darling, I am of a 'vintage' figure as I like to call it. A little taller than you but voluptuous!!!!!! I would need to lose about five stone to be classed as normal!!!! I decided to try for a baby with my partner and conceived immediately. Do not lose hope, as long as you are healthy (which I most certainly am) I'm sure you'll do have no less of a chance than anyone else. To be honest I loathe the fact that I would be regarded as clinically obese..... and I don't need a crane to lift me out of the house! I find exercise difficult due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis which doesn't help..... This pregnancy has been a relative doddle, thought I'd find it hard to endure a heavy bump but I have been fitter than ever really..... Much love..... xxxx

Hi
I too have a high BMI, size26-28, but when i had my son, i conceived him within one month of my period coming back after the depo injection. And i carried him successfully.
It can be done!!
Good luck x

I'm glad to hear about all these successful pregnancies! I have irregular cycles and my Doc thinks it might have something to do with my weight. But I've alwways had irregular cycles since I was 13 and I was never 'overweight' when I was younger. I'm 5ft9 and my BMI is 34. So far I've lost 21lbs since April... that was only when me and the OH set a date for our wedding and it encouraged me to lose the weight. I've now come to a standstill since our first visit to the Fertility clinic, they told me to come back in a year when we qualify for IVF and that I would have to get my BMI below 30 else they wouldn't treat me. I've done nothing different since April but the weights just not shifting and it's driving me nuts!!! :hissy: But I'm determined to do it!

Good luck!!

Yah - thanks for starting this thread. So great to see so many happy stories! With a BMI of 33 I was reluctant to start a family - but I'm going to be 31 right away - and I sure don't want to miss out on the best thing in my life. I make good decisions most of the week - but I am not eating cottage cheese and salad greens every day! :rofl: I love peanut butter, chocolate, and breads. What can I say? I do have a feeling that when I get my :bfp: I will up the fruit and veggies, milk, and vitamin filled foods...but until then I will do the best I can - but just take it day by day.

:hug: to all the gals wishes for their :bfp: !

I'm a size 18 and I love my curves, I wouldn't go thinner. I was a size 8 about 8 yrs ago and not happy.

I hope big can get bigger with a baby. lol

I'm 5'4'', and about 15stone. I'm a size 16 all over, have a bra size of 36G, and to be honest, I'm quite happy.

I do intend to go to the gym, mostly just for fitness, not necessarily weight loss. I don't eat particularly badly, and I'm healthy. I'd like to think my weight won't affect TTC.

I need to lose 4 stone (bleurgh!) to be classed as "normal" and I honestly do think my weight is the reason I've not had AF visit since March :( I'm being a bit more sensible with the choices I make now so hopefully it won't be long before my errant hormones sort themselves out!

Im a little taller then you and weigh about the same and I've had a perfectly healthy first 12 weeks so far! I've had the morning sickness and all! I was off the pill for a month and we got pregnant without trying really! Its definitely possible hun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->