High Functioning Autism?

jellybean83

Reaction score
Hello all,My 6 year old son has been diagnosed with this,

He had a support worker in with him at school all last week to do a school evaluation,He is in a part of the school called Nurture where its a smaller class and they learn through more visual and literal channels (if that make sense)

Ive always knew there was something a little amiss with my little monkey and in the last 6 months it has just got worse,He wont make eye contact with nobody,He has to have all the tags removed from his clothing as he says they irritate him to the point where he will freak out if they arnt removed,He is also really sensitive to noise,he wears ear protectors and noises effect him so much that he says the make him feel sick and give him a headache

He went to chessington world of adventure last week and HAD to go to every toilet and flush every chain before he would pick a toilet to use,He then HAD to turn on every tap before he picked one to wash his hands with.

It breaks my heart to watch him play because he doesn't really understand the "rules"of waiting his turn or social etiquette,If somebody speaks to him he usually wont answer them there alone look them in the face

He form attachments to little things too a few weeks ago we bought him some doughnuts and when i tried to throw the box away he flipped out and started crying telling me i couldn't throw it away...After about 5 days of it being left on the side i threw it away thinking he had forgot about it and no more than 15 minutes after i had chucked it he had rooted through the bin(he does this alot)and fished the box out and kicked up a fuss about me throwing it away

If we give him a different breakfast to what he usually has he freaks out(one he even tried to throw a chair at me)

His teacher tried to tell us nothing was wrong,it was only after i stormed into the heads office and demanded a meeting armed with my folder of facts and asked the teacher to point out what traits he does and doesn't have that she did a 360 degree turn and AGREED there was something amiss with Jake,Ive been furious with the school because a sheet that had been sent to the teacher by CAMS?! Had gone missing and was never filled in,Ive had to fight,shout and practically make a nuisance of myself every step of the way to getting the help my son needs

And now im so close to getting an answer im so scared for him

Does anybody make sense of all this?I feel so guilty and like its my fault :cry:

Thank you for reading

Hi my son is 6 and also has high functioning autism. I am off to bed but will PM you tomorrow hun xx

there is obviously an issue - don't let the teacher tell you anything else, it's ridiculous that she has to be honest. What do you plan on doing now?

Sorry I have not PM'd you yet!

Just want to say FOUR teachers told me my son had nothing wrong. Mum knows best. Take care xx

Sorry I have not PM'd you yet!

Just want to say FOUR teachers told me my son had nothing wrong. Mum knows best. Take care xx

Aah wise words indeed, I experienced the same brush off from 4 health visitors, I KNEW something was wrong.

It is nothing to do with anything you have done hun, it is not your fault :hugs:. My son has had schooling in all sorts of different environments (he is 15 now) and I have found those people really experienced in asd will be able to help you with all the behaviours and to help manage them. You could also try the National Autistic Society they are a wealth of information.

Good luck hun x

In our quest for an actual diagnosis I was told by one paediatrician - "yes your son does seem to be on the autistic spectrum, but I'm not willing to diagnose him because there's too many people jumping on that bandwagon at the minute!" Needless to say we never went back to him again! It took almost another 3 yrs to get his diagnosis though!

Hun, it is NOT your fault! My son has a Sensory Processing issue they think its either a High functioning Autism or Sensory processing disorder. Don't feel like its your fault, even though its hard not to, but its not! I sometimes feel that James' disability is my fault but it's not something that can be prevented! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->