High Nuchal measurement :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by purplerat, Nov 18, 2011.

1. purplerat

purplerat Mum of 3

I had my 12 week scan today and had a NT measurement of 3.4mm :( Had bloods taken too so should get my results for chance of Downs Syndrome next week.

Looking online it says the average is normally 1.5mm or something and anything above 2 is high. The sonographer told me it was slightly high but only mentioned it due to my history of my son who has Polycycstic kidneys.

I'm just really worried, did anyone else have a high NT ? How did it turn out?

I'm only 22 so still young.

2. Sunshine12

Sunshine12 New Mummy

Ive heard people saying they had high measurements but they subsequently went downs so are not always accurate (and I dont think your measurements is particuarly high anyway.) Try not to worry. Your bloods will give you a much better indication. xx

3. sofiasmommy

sofiasmommy Well-Known Member

We got a high measurement (I think around 3 mm), had a CVS which ruled out Downs, and then we had a lot of scans that ruled out heart defects. I now have a healthy mad 2 year old! best of luck, let us know how it goes and keep your hopes up!

4. no drama mama

no drama mama Well-Known Member

Hi purplerat - I happened to see your thread and thought I'd share my story. We were scheduled for genetic testing right around 12 weeks so we went in and had the scan. My NT measurement was 3.5 so they advised against doing the bloods because they said they'd likely be abnormal. 3.4mm is the cutoff here so we were just above the normal limit but they still gave us a 1 in 5 chance of there being something chromosomally wrong. So we opted for the chorionic villus sampling which we did 2 days later. After and EXCRUCIATINGLY long weekend, we got the call on Monday morning letting us know that everything was perfect and that we're having a girl. Now we're waiting for the 20 week anatomy scan to make sure there are no structural or cardiac defects (10% chance due to the high reading) but my doctor said not to worry about it. There is a really high rate of false positives with this testing so try not to worry until you have a reason to - I know, easier said than done. The testing is so new that they haven't worked the kinks out... it's a great tool and very useful for predicting problems but it also causes A LOT of unnecessary stress. When it happened to me, I heard so many stories about the same thing happening and all was well. I'll be honest, knowing what I know now about it, I wouldn't do it again. Not that that's very helpful to you right now :)

Are you planning on doing additional testing? Feel free to message me if you'd like... Good luck - I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

5. izzlesnizzle

izzlesnizzle Well-Known Member

My sister in law went through this 4 yrs ago with her daughter. I seem to remember her measurement being around 3 and was given very high chance of 1 in 35 of being downs. They had the CVS and that revealed that the baby was perfectly healthy with no abnormalities whatsoever. Shes just started school in september and is a lovely, healthy and lively little girl. Good luck with your results. I have my NT scan next week and am naturally worried and anxious to see whats what.

6. purplerat

purplerat Mum of 3

Thank you all. I'll be eagerly awaiting my result next week before I really worry. I just have so many other worries of the baby's health and this was just one I wasn't expecting x

No drama mama- if the risk comes back high I don't know if we will have additional testing. We didn't know the extent of my sons problems until he was born and we love him so much and just learnt to cope with his extra care. I feel the same about this baby too.

7. Arisa

Arisa Mummy to Summer Rose

I really hope and pray that everything is fine :D
    My SIL had high measurements with her first daughter and she is extremely intelligent and an advanced little gymnast :D and she is only eight so going by the other posts on here too, i think it will be fine and you will have a perfectly healthy little bubba :hugs:

8. purplerat

purplerat Mum of 3

Thanks everyone :) Got my combined test result back and its a low risk!! Its 1/670, which is good, though I remember with William it was 1/50,000. I'm not so worried now :) I have a scan at 16 weeks anyway to look at the babys growth and their kidneys, so hopefully everything will be normal x

9. lisrad

lisrad Well-Known Member

pleased to see your news, and thanks for the update. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy x

10. Sunshine12

Sunshine12 New Mummy

Thats great. Really pleased for you. x

11. Arisa

Arisa Mummy to Summer Rose

12. collie_crazy

collie_crazy 1 Angel, 1 rainbow growin

Pleased your bloods came back good :hugs:

3.5 is not that high and I bet by your next scan it will have gone down. With my first pregnancy our 12 week U/S showed an NT measurement of 11mm... My daughter tested positive (through CVS) for Turner Syndrome and we lost her at 17 weeks.