HIP Grant, Ive emailed The Sun news paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
well it does really cos I just want to be organised incase bubbs makes an early appearance. I just have visions of going into labour and having nothing ready to take with me. I HATE leaving things till the last minute, just like to be prepared thats all.

- just annoys me that its 'free money' as other ladies said, we shouldnt complain about it, you'll get it eventually, just imagine what other people did before it came along! x

Exactly! Yes we are "entitled" to it, but I wouldn't rely on it, I already have gotten everything for beanie over a series of weeks bit by bit only cause there was no point relying on getting the HIP t buy everything with, this will just be a lovely bonus for some nice little things when it comes through. But also its only £190..And I'm a single-made redundant-mummy to be but realistically from already buying everything £190 isnt going to buy a lot!

But its free money!! If you'd done something to earn it fair enough but its free so you cant really moan about how long its taking!

- just annoys me that its 'free money' as other ladies said, we shouldnt complain about it, you'll get it eventually, just imagine what other people did before it came along! x

Exactly! Yes we are "entitled" to it, but I wouldn't rely on it, I already have gotten everything for beanie over a series of weeks bit by bit only cause there was no point relying on getting the HIP t buy everything with, this will just be a lovely bonus for some nice little things when it comes through. But also its only £190..And I'm a single-made redundant-mummy to be but realistically from already buying everything £190 isnt going to buy a lot!

exactly when i had my son there was no HiP grant so i had to budget every week to get everything i needed.

With my next pregnancy i will do the same and then put the £190 in babys saving account

exactly when i had my son there was no HiP grant so i had to budget every week to get everything i needed.

With my next pregnancy i will do the same and then put the £190 in babys saving account

I agree, thats exactly what we have done, which is why Im not relying on the grant to buy bubbs stuff. We've budgeted monthly to ensure we've been able to buy everything the baby is gunna need. But like any mum to be, ive always put the baby 1st and left no money for myself to get the bits that I need. Which is why im very much looking forward to treating myself to some new pyjamas for after the birth etc.

I just wanna say that i am VERY grateful for getting money which I have done nothing for, and I didnt mean to offend anyone if I have. The whole thing is just very frustrating when your one of the ladies caught in it, trying to get what thousands of other women have got with no issues. Its like banging your head on a brick wall!!

Anyways, sorry if i offended anyone :blush:

Same! will get all the little hospital bag bits that I need and the rest will be saved. Its kind of annoying me that people are moaning and expecting it ASAP, and what have they been doing since they got their BFP..just sitting and waiting to apply for the grant :shrug: (just realised how bitchy that actually sounds!!!eekk)....what if the government decide to stop the HIP grant scheme?...

I called the HIP place today and the woman was really nice! think she expected me to have a moan at her cause I have been waiting 4 weeks... meh!

i actually think going to the national press is an awful thing to do - yes there are delays, and yes it would be more helpful to some women to get it earlier but at the end of the day this money is being given to every single pregnant woman - without exception so yes there will be times when things are busier - every grant is processed by the same office and obviously there are times when more ladies are pregnant then others

i actually started a thread a few weeks ago after reading so many people banging on about how they NEED the money etc - i think we should all be truly grateful that the government give us anything at all and so what if some have to wait longer than others

as for the op saying if we are overpaid by tax credits we have to pay it back straight away, this is not true, yes they write to you but they also spread the repayments they never demand it be paid back in full immediatly

my point was someone said it should be up to the midwives to hand it out ASAP, but its not. ITs up to US as pregnant women to get it, whether it means hassling the midwives, or the gp.

i just thought that it could be posted to you via midwife or something.. that way everyone would have the unfilled form avaliable to them, then it could be up to them to bring it to the 24 week appointment for signing etc. :shrug:
so then nobody would get blamed for getting it late/not being given it.
might be one solution to the issue? i dont know.

to be honest.. i made sure i got mine.. you should know what you're entitled too. :thumbup:

dare i also say that i think its quite silly that people are relying on this free money to buy things that i would class as essential.

the government shouldnt have to provide for people who want to have babies, they should have to be able to provide themselves, or possibly wait to have children until they can provide.

the only reason i claimed my HIP is because i think its the only benefit ill ever be elligible for and its some of my well earned tax being given back to me. so i am ever so greatfull for it even if it did take 4 weeks to come - we should be greatfull we get anything at all.

Although it is something we wouldnt have got last year its hardly 'free money'. The amount of tax I pay from my wages not too mention on everything we buy covers it. The governement get the money from us and are kindly giving us some back. Its only really free if you dont pay any taxes which is none of us surely.

I think maybe the thing that is driving everyone nuts i the fact that everybody is being told something different. If the info was consistent everybody would know where they were with it.

:thumbup: good on you for doing things bit by bit, it's all i can do aswell and i'm not a single mummy so i'm really glad to see your initiative :) that way you won't end up with massive debt for buying everything on a credit card for example.

i didn't use mine for 'health' (like you're supposed too) i just saw it as an extra bonus.. i didn't waste it, i budgeted it and made a list and bought quite a bit with it, all for baby, nothing for me because i saw it as 'money i wouldn't have had'

but if someone is relying on it so badly... im seriously worried.. it's a lovely help i understand but.. like i saw it.. its not money you would have had anyway x

Although it is something we wouldnt have got last year its hardly 'free money'. The amount of tax I pay from my wages not too mention on everything we buy covers it. The governement get the money from us and are kindly giving us some back. Its only really free if you dont pay any taxes which is none of us surely.

I think maybe the thing that is driving everyone nuts i the fact that everybody is being told something different. If the info was consistent everybody would know where they were with it.

people who dont work dont pay tax

xxx

actually people on benefits dont pay any taxes, and i would strongly suspect they are amongst the majority of the complainers regaring time to recieve this money

my point was someone said it should be up to the midwives to hand it out ASAP, but its not. ITs up to US as pregnant women to get it, whether it means hassling the midwives, or the gp.

i just thought that it could be posted to you via midwife or something.. that way everyone would have the unfilled form avaliable to them, then it could be up to them to bring it to the 24 week appointment for signing etc. :shrug:
so then nobody would get blamed for getting it late/not being given it.
might be one solution to the issue? i dont know.

to be honest.. i made sure i got mine.. you should know what you're entitled too. :thumbup:

exactly, :thumbup:

possibly a soloution to have it sent out at a certain point, however i dont think the community midwives need another job added on.. makes their job harder, if everyone should know what theyre entitled too.. then there shouldnt be a problem. Just think its utter ridic to write to a paper about a delay, at CHRISTMAS, because of ROYAL MAIL about FREE MONEY. :shrug:

purpledahlia, you're right, poor midwives are stretched as it is, for example i didnt even see mine today! had to see my GP because she's so fully booked with new patients. i'd like to add, my midwife does a superb job too.

I'm still waiting on mine also. Have you emailed watchdog? x

Mine took 7wks from the day I posted it off...

and that was prior to the 'backlog'.

Sometimes these things just take a little time, and Royal Mail was on strike for a lot longer then 2 days.. there was 1-3 days strikes, over numerous weeks, in different parts of the country and within different sections of Royal mail themselves.

I understand the need for this money, I haven't worked since 9wks pregnant, and am not eligible for ANY kind of unemployment/sickness/maternity benifits so my OH has been supporting the two of us since then, as well as making sure we have everything we need for bubs..
But at the same time.. it is something the goverment is doing off their own backs so to speak, they don't have to, and its only a new thing. I'm not sure writing to a trashbag tabloid paper such as The Sun is going to achieve anything.

I'm probably going to sound terrible saying this, and I've stayed out of the thread so far for fear of sounding bitchy, but I must admit I can't understand moaning about free money OR not preparing well during pregnancy. I can understand those people who've been made redundant, or who're suddenly unable to work due to ill-health, or those who find themselves fired for being pregnant (still can't believe that happens these days!). Unforeseeable circumstances... I get that totally and understand why that £190 becomes essential. But other situations I just don't get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back