History of Twins in Family?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Mrs Dot, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

My MIL told us recently that my DH's grandad was a twin!

Apparently it's meant to skip a generation too, anyone else who might be getting it over and done with in 1 pregnancy?!!!! I hope we do, twice the work at first but only 1 pregnancy needed I keep thinking as want 2 kids!!!:happydance:

2. garkat23

garkat23 Well-Known Member

Hi Mrs Dot
    Yeah my dad is a twin and my gran told me it had skipped a generation for a many generations back!
    I agree 2 in 1 ha ha ha ha ha
    x x x x x x

3. willbamom1day

willbamom1day Truly blessed - I'm a mom

twins run on both sides of my family and yes it is known to skip a generation - it would be great if I am the next to have twins

4. MonkeyFeet

MonkeyFeet Pregnant after ICSI

I think it only skips a generation if they were non-identical though as identical twins are pretty much a chance type thing. My grandad was a non-identical twin and his aunt had 3 sets of non-identical twins! We'll see what happens though, I don't really mind either way. I'm more worried about having one baby first pregnancy then trying for another and ending up with three children as your second pregnancy is twins!! Or even worse deciding to have a third and doubling your family in one go!

5. Luna

Luna Mum of two

My mum is a twin and my husband has twin sisters. I am doomed!

6. distantsun

distantsun Isaac's Mummy

Twins run in my family. My Granny was a twin and my mum had 2 sets ( my 2 brothers and me and my brother.) So i guess it skips a generation with us which is a shame as I would love twins.

7. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

We are still awaiting twins in our family. My mums father was a twin and his mother had another 2 sets of twins also. My Mothers mum lost a set of twins by falling off a bike. My 1st cousins wife was having twins but sadly one died in the womb. So a gypsy lady told me that i was going to have twins! But here i am pregnant again and only one wee baba, it is quite a relief actually!! xxx

8. T'elle

T'elle feeling blessed & lucky!

DH's mother is an identical twin, and his auntie (his mums twin) has twins. My dad has brothers who are twins, and my auntie and uncle are twins on mums side lol x

9. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

Sounds like I don't have half the chances of having twins as some of you lot!!! thought I should be worried! I agree on the having one and then trying for another and getting twins Monkeyfeet! that wouldn't be good but any at the moment will be a blessing! I think I'd take triplets at this rate!!!

10. ThatGirl

ThatGirl Proud mummy to alfie

theres LOTS of twins in my family dad's side, and its skipped a generation so it's all down to me to have twins now :)

11. sazza

sazza Well-Known Member

No history in my family, or OH's - thank goodness! lol

12. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

There are 6 sets of twin on my mothers side of the family, all fraternal

13. caz81

caz81 Well-Known Member

there are no twins in either mine or dhs family but i keep joking i think im going to have twins as my pregnancy symptoms have been really strong!! xx

14. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

This might interest you hun!

https://www.twinsinsurance.net/

15. Crailly

Crailly Well-Known Member

My dad is an identical twin - and my DH's mother was a twin, but the other baby died in utero (not sure at how many weeks). So I guess I have a chance.

My DH's cousin has two-year old twins but they used fertility treatments (and are now pregnant with baby#3 with no help at all, lol). My DH always gets a little freaked when I mention the twins thing, hee hee.

16. lalitas charm

lalitas charm Mummy to Bethan & Piplet

Hiya, Fraternal twins run in the female side as they are caused by 2 eggs being released and fertilised. It doesn't matter if there are twins in the male line. Identical twins can happen to anyone as they are the result of one fertilised egg splitting. It is an old wives tale to say that they skip a generation in the male side.

Hope this puts some people's minds at rest and doesn't disappoint others.

17. Rumpskin

Rumpskin Free to try again!

There was one set of twins going back hundreds of generations on my dads side so no chance!

18. FsMummy

FsMummy single mum to 4 cuties

identical twins dont run in families but it is believed that fraternal twins do, only on the womans side tho, it has nothing to do with the man's family unfortunately seeing as fraternal twins are the result of a woman releasing two eggs at once

19. FsMummy

FsMummy single mum to 4 cuties

sorry i saw this just after i posted lol

20. Vestirse

Vestirse Maker of the boobie booze

An in depth explanation:

Fraternal Twins

The only types of twins that can run in families are fraternal twins (in fact any type of fraternal multiples, but we'll say twins to make this easy). This is due to the phenomenon of hyperovulation. However, both parents can pass the gene on. Only daughters though will see it expressed (since only women ovulate!). Therefore, the female in the couple can have see that her father is a fraternal twin and think this might give her a chance of having fraternal twins - after all, she might have inherited the gene for hyperovulation from him.

However, it doesn't matter if the male in the couple is a fraternal twin or has fraternal twins in his families. His sperm cannot influence her ovaries to release more than one egg! However a daughter born from the union could attribute hypervovulation if she has twins to her own father.* Any female child of a mother with fraternal twins should consider that she would potentially have the hyperovulation gene and may have twins herself.

You don't, however, have to have the hyperovulation gene to ovulate more than one egg. Flukes of nature and some medications as well as age can influence this.

*And perhaps this is where the tale of it skipping generations came from.

Identical Twins
    These cannot run in families. They are a fluke of nature in which a single egg splits.

Anyone can have identical twins and if you have identical tiwns in your family, you are no more or less likely than any other women to have identical twins yourself.

And that's how it works!