Holding hot food in my lap = neural tube defects?

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
I was desperate for some take-out tonight...major craving. After we got the bag of hot food, I got into the back seat of the car and put the bag onto my lap. It wasn't until 3-4 minutes later that I realized that my lap was (and had been) pretty hot from the food. I immediately took the food off my lap, and my lap and clothes remained warm to the touch for 2 minutes longer!

I am absolutely terrified that now our baby is going to have a neural tube defect. Everything I've read online has said that heating of the embryo (whether via heating pad on the abdomen or submersion in a hot bath or jacuzzi) can cause NTDs, and it definitely felt like the heat penetrated beyond my skin.

I am terrified. Can anyone provide some reassurance?

I highly doubt that will have an affect - I spent weeks at a time day after day in hot hot spas without even realizing the damage it could cause for my 2 last pregnancys & there completely healthy - so I would worry about it :)

the baby is so far inside, surrounded by so many layers that probably dissipated the heat - I really doubt it had any affect on the baby :)

I think the reason they say to avoid hot tubs and hot baths is that if you remain in one for long periods of time it raises your core temperature which could possibly have an effect on baby.

Having something hot on your lap for a few minutes won't have caused any damage, don't worry :)

I worried about this too because I spent a ton of time in a hot tub when I was about three weeks along. So let me reassure you: There is no way.

Even in a jacuzzi heated to above 100F, it takes at least 15 minutes to get the body to a temperature such that the risk for NTD is raised.

A hot bath is unlikely to cause the same affect, as it cools down, unlike a jacuzzi which is heated to a consistent 104F or so. Your food cools down, and was only on your lap for a few minutes.

And of course, is not raising your body temp the way a hot tub does.

Now let's say you were actually in a jacuzzi--which you weren't--for 15 minutes or more--which you weren't. Then even those FEW studies that show the very highest risk elevation from jacuzzis demonstrate a three-fold increase in risk. This means your risk of spina bifida is raised to 0.2%. Even that elevated risk is way lower than, say, the risk of Down Syndrome, the risk of stillbirth due to incompetent cervix, etc.

Of all the many things we can worry about in pregnancy, this should be pretty low on the list.

I hope that helped!

I know my core temperature wasn't raised by the hot food, but my concern was that the area directly over my uterus was hot to the touch after I moved the bag of food. So even though my core temperature didn't rise, my uterine temperature most likely did...

Your absolutely fine..as everyone else said...food doesnt get "hotter"...naturally it immediately starts to cool....and it was your lap...your egg is currently burried so deep in your pelvis under the bone......you are no where near being "at risk".....

No way it would have caused damage. Jacuzzi and hot tubs 'can' because of the core temperature being raised as people have stated. You will have done no damage. Plenty of people live and holiday in hot countries without doing damage, plus plenty of people don't find out they are pregnant till way later so the damage they could have done is unknown, but most babies turn out just fine.
Your baby is very well protected in there, keeping hot food on your lap can't do any damage, you would have felt it scalding your skin way before that point

I know my core temperature wasn't raised by the hot food, but my concern was that the area directly over my uterus was hot to the touch after I moved the bag of food. So even though my core temperature didn't rise, my uterine temperature most likely did...

I understand, but that's not how it works. Think about all the things that make our skin warm...tanning on a beach, holding other kids/dogs on our laps, being in a warm bed....3 - 4 minutes worth of anything, short of the surface of the sun, would make no difference at all.

Also, even being in a jacuzzi for 4 minutes would absolutely warm our skin but would not result in any problem with the baby. This is why the effect requires at least 15 minutes of exposure--because core temperature is what they're looking for.

I promise you, this will have absolutely no effect.

Thank you, beagleowner, I feel much better :) Also, I love beagles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"