Holiday entitlement

Quackquack99

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a little query. I am currently on maternity leave and I have 12 days holidays remaining. I did request to take these holiday before I started my maternity as my this years holidays expire at the end of june. Well I was declined to be able to take them in writing, but the letter said that I'll receive my holiday pay at the end of june. Hr at work do not speak to employees directly so I can't exactly phone up with my query. Does that mean in june, I'll be on holiday for 12 days. If that's the case then I'll miss out on 90 percent of my pay for 2 weeks which I think is cheeky. I asked to take them before I started

When do you go back to work? You should just be able to take them when your mat leave ends.

TBH I think you need to speak directly to HR to clarify because obviously whilst you are on Mat Leave you are still entitled to any holiday that occurs whilst on Mat Leave.

However (I work in HR)
Most employers would reasonably just put it on the end of your Maternity Leave if you hadn't taken it, despite them "expiring"... What some employers do is though is they might pay you separately for them. Your SMP won't stop (or at least it shouldn't) They should just pay you those 12 days in addition as they can't force you to take it as holiday whilst on Mat Leave.

It sounds a little off that they are forcing you to have them paid. I would talk it through with HR, they might let you carry it over to the end of your leave.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! I've spoke to my line manager who doesn't seem to be clued up on anything like this. Our holidays do not roll over so that's why I asked to take them before my maternity leave started. My manager couldn't give me the address or email so I could directly send it in writing. I thought that I couldn't take holidays whilst on maternity. Either way, it doesn't bother aslong as I get my holiday as that's what I'm entitled to

sounds like you will get the cash equivalent of the unused holidays?

i handed my notice in while on mat leave and i just got the cash. Maybe you will just have the extra money

I hope so. I just don't want to miss out on my holidays but then again I didn't want to miss out on 2 weeks of 90% pay, that was why I wanted clarification. But my work obviously are not clued up on this sort of thing. And one last question. If they decide to put me on holiday for two weeks whilst on maternity. Will I have the right to be angry, or is that allowed?

if your on ML, then youre on ML. I dont think they can just turn it into holiday ... but if they did, you would just push back everything by 2 weeks surely?

i handed my notice in while on mat leave and i just got the cash. Maybe you will just have the extra money

I have also handed my notice in but I have 5 months left of mat leave does this mean I've lost my rights to the holiday I have accrued?

Before I left for mat leave in Jan I took 1 weeks annual leave (and then my mat leave only started a week before my due date) I had 8 days left. Usually we can only take over 5 days but because I was going on mat leave I was allowed to take them all over.

While you are on mat leave then you still accrue holiday and bank holidays. Even if you have no intention of going back they still owe you any holiday you had and any holiday/bh's you accrued, pro rata. I would imagine you could either tag them onto the end of your mat leave or they should pay them to you in your monthly salary.

x

Before I left for mat leave in Jan I took 1 weeks annual leave (and then my mat leave only started a week before my due date) I had 8 days left. Usually we can only take over 5 days but because I was going on mat leave I was allowed to take them all over.

While you are on mat leave then you still accrue holiday and bank holidays. Even if you have no intention of going back they still owe you any holiday you had and any holiday/bh's you accrued, pro rata. I would imagine you could either tag them onto the end of your mat leave or they should pay them to you in your monthly salary.

x

But do they still have to pay you holiday pay for the whole time on leave if they know you are not going back? Because they asked me and I said the truth that I wasn't going back even though I have 5 months left and now they have terminated my contract so does this get them out of paying me any more holiday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->